How to get bigger biceps for a skinny guy? Watch

nopenopenope
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EonBlueApocalypse)
Agree about triceps. But for someone who's not worked out before chins and pull up would give you gains in your bis, chest, traps, front delt and lats.
Actually, neither of the exercises mentioned target the anterior deltoid.
roh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by save)
You simple don't work those muscles (chest / triceps / delts) enough to see any gains whatsoever. He'll see improvement on his lats and bis if he does only pull ups / chin ups though.
Easy to sort, just turn pull up into muscle up, not sure why people don't do this as standard really.
Double Agent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by roh)
Easy to sort, just turn pull up into muscle up, not sure why people don't do this as standard really.
Because most people struggle to do decent pull ups, let alone throwing in sets of muscle ups lol
roh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Double Agent)
Because most people struggle to do decent pull ups, let alone throwing in sets of muscle ups lol
I suppose, I didn't start lifting sort of stuff til I was 18 so was reasonably developed by then, but surely a muscle up is just the same as doing both a pull up and a dip, and most people who can do pull ups can do a dip?
save
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ok, but a quick Google search will show you I'm correct. Remember we are talking about skinny guys who haven't really worked out before.
Don't trust everything you read on Google / Wiki LOL!

Ludicrous you think doing pull ups will bulk up your shoulders haha. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing, you're completely wrong. Just because an exercise uses a synergistic guider muscle does not mean you will see any gains on that muscle.

(Original post by roh)
Ooh they're hard ! Hat off to you!
Double Agent
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by roh)
I suppose, I didn't start lifting sort of stuff til I was 18 so was reasonably developed by then, but surely a muscle up is just the same as doing both a pull up and a dip, and most people who can do pull ups can do a dip?
I think they are far easier as their component parts than as one movement
roh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Double Agent)
I think they are far easier as their component parts than as one movement
Maybe, when I learnt them is with loads of guys who were naturally built for it (swimmers, back and triceps are our main, probably only, strengths. I suspect also many gyms aren't set up for them, as you do need a pull up bar with clear space around it (so not ones with weighted help or just a low ceiling!).

I think they look a lot harder than they are!
goldenfish
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by save)
Jesus christ, 'technically' anything you do uses hundreds of muscles, both superficial and deep. Stop being pedantic.... Pull ups are a back exercise, you won't see any gains on your shoulders / chest / triceps from doing pull ups or chin ups.
They work it out a lot more then you think. the only biceps training I use is chin ups/pull ups, and my biceps are bigger and stronger then most. Yes you're right they do workout mainly your lats but they do put a significant stress on ALL of your upper body.

And also, pull ups do mainly work your lats, but they also put a lot of stress on your biceps, if you didnt know already, you cant fully workout your lats if your biceps are weak as they'd be holding back progress in all your pulling movements, compound exercises generally demand the most of the muscle that is weakest, thats why if you do pull-ups you would be working your biceps significantly - and the rest of your body too; so yes, you would see a lot of gains on your shoulders / chest / triceps / biceps from doing pull ups

Al Kavadlo - who has a hell of a lot more experience and knowledge then you do about the subject said:
"Pull-ups work your entire upper body, especially the muscles of your back, as well as your abs and your biceps."
Inzamam99
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Something to bear in mind about the dumbbells you probably have at home- if you make quick progress then you will very quickly outgrow the 15kg ones. If you can't join the gym and want to build up your arms, I would recommend a pull up bar.
A random human
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Curls, simple as that.

Personally I never did curls because my workouts were long full body, my biceps were of good development tough from doing things like parallel grip pull ups, Parallel grip rows on the cable machine etc... But doing curls is a must for big biceps, i have more time now so i do them often.

Super set curls and tricep isolation and your good to go. I usually do barbell curls supersetted with overhead tricep extention.
save
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by goldenfish)
They work it out a lot more then you think. the only biceps training I use is chin ups/pull ups, and my biceps are bigger and stronger then most. Yes you're right they do workout mainly your lats but they do put a significant stress on ALL of your upper body.

And also, pull ups do mainly work your lats, but they also put a lot of stress on your biceps, if you didnt know already, you cant fully workout your lats if your biceps are weak as they'd be holding back progress in all your pulling movements, compound exercises generally demand the most of the muscle that is weakest, thats why if you do pull-ups you would be working your biceps significantly - and the rest of your body too; so yes, you would see a lot of gains on your shoulders / chest / triceps / biceps from doing pull ups

Al Kavadlo - who has a hell of a lot more experience and knowledge then you do about the subject said:
"Pull-ups work your entire upper body, especially the muscles of your back, as well as your abs and your biceps."
I'm sorry but I completely disagree, but you keep going how you are buddy!

6 months as a gym instructor, 2 1/2 years as a full time level 3 REPS personal trainer and currently working towards a level 4 master qualification and PTing/hosting classes part time on the side. Working at Greens, Virgin active, Xercise 4 less, Pure gym, Fitness base and Bannatynes in Cambridgeshire and Yorkshire, I'd say I know a hell of a lot more about the subject than you sir.

Arguing for the sake of arguing! Saying Pull-ups work your entire upper body, especially the muscles of your back, is like saying Squatting works the entire muscles in your lower body. Both are completely correct statements I don't deny that, and never did! But like I said before you are not going to see any significant gains (IF ANY) on your delts / chest / triceps. Going to say it again, just because muscles stabilize an action does not necessarily mean you will work the muscle enough to see gains.

With regards to what you're saying about biceps, it really depends on grip. Palms facing towards you will focus on bi's, palms facing away will focus on your lats.

Train properly, and you might be able to get biceps like mine
EonBlueApocalypse
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by save)
Don't trust everything you read on Google / Wiki LOL!

Ludicrous you think doing pull ups will bulk up your shoulders haha. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing, you're completely wrong. Just because an exercise uses a synergistic guider muscle does not mean you will see any gains on that muscle.
Don't be stupid, I never mentioned Wiki and Google search implies countless other websites. It's not ludicrous to think that for someone who hasn't trained before, doing chin ups (with supinated grip) will lead to SOME delt development up to a certain point. The point was doing pull ups (pronated grip) and chins for a skinny guy would lead to some decent upper body development up to a certain point.

Certainly better than doing curls like the OP thought is it not?
save
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't be stupid, I never mentioned Wiki and Google search implies countless other websites. It's not ludicrous to think that for someone who hasn't trained before, doing chin ups (with supinated grip) will lead to SOME front delt development up to a certain point. The point was doing pull ups (pronated grip) and chins for a skinny guy would lead to some decent upper body development up to a certain point.

Certainly better than doing curls like the OP thought is it not?
Oh absolutely, compound > isolation for a collection of muscles, I agree 100% with this.

But, forgive me if I am wrong but this thread is about developing the biceps soley. (Not that I agree with training one muscle lol) Something about a sleeve tattoo if I'm not mistaken.
EonBlueApocalypse
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by save)
Oh absolutely, compound > isolation for a collection of muscles, I agree 100% with this.

But, forgive me if I am wrong but this thread is about developing the biceps soley. (Not that I agree with training one muscle lol) Something about a sleeve tattoo if I'm not mistaken.
It was about biceps yes. In my opinion if you can't even do 10 chin ups doing direct bicep work is pretty much redundant.
Semaj18
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When all else fails- use steroids.
Dmon1Unlimited
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Inzamam99)
Something to bear in mind about the dumbbells you probably have at home- if you make quick progress then you will very quickly outgrow the 15kg ones. If you can't join the gym and want to build up your arms, I would recommend a pull up bar.
how quick is quick? i have currently been using 10kg dumbells for a week or so and have about 10 days left of being able to go to the gym :pierre:

i never tried super sets before, i may incorporate them (i.e. using same exercises but use light and lighter weights, one straight after the other)
goldenfish
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by save)
With regards to what you're saying about biceps, it really depends on grip. Palms facing towards you will focus on bi's, palms facing away will focus on your lats.
Lets agree to disagree, from what i know and from what many - more qualified people then you have proven - pull-ups have significant change for biceps, and several other muscles apart from the back.

(Original post by save)
Train properly, and you might be able to get biceps like mine
Believe me, I wouldn't want muscles like you I guarantee you I have a lot more functional strength then you, with a lot less muscle <--- which is a very good thing.
save
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by goldenfish)
Lets agree to disagree, from what i know and from what many - more qualified people then you have proven - pull-ups have significant change for biceps, and several other muscles apart from the back.

Believe me, I wouldn't want muscles like you I guarantee you I have a lot more functional strength then you, with a lot less muscle <--- which is a very good thing.
Haha I doubt that very much so! Did I offend you? Sozzz.
MrSupernova
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's no need to argue you two... You only obsess over the gym because you can't play football anyway
goldenfish
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by save)
Haha I doubt that very much so! Did I offend you? Sozzz.
not at all, just a friendly argument and you can doubt all you want

(Original post by MrSupernova)
There's no need to argue you two... You only obsess over the gym because you can't play football anyway
luckily I don't go to the gym as I don't use weights, and you're partly right; I don't play football.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (114)
26.21%
No (321)
73.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise