Turn on thread page Beta

best degree to do? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    :confused: You mean medicine, right?
    Please continue to read the thread... This has been discussed. I'll need to edit that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomatochuckers)
    An Accounting & Finance degree is also good for many divisions within an investment bank as well. E.g. Mergers and Acquisitions

Though most of the stuff is learnt on the job
    true wish i did something like that. always thought banking and finance was a good degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natninja)
    Yes, I'm also looking at some consultancy roles as well and accountancy. I'm at Oxford, yourself?
    WOW, your doing physics at Oxford!

I myself am intent on pursuing a career in investment banking (in particular trading). How much of an advantage are you at due to the course and university you are at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayeda)
    what do you think is the best degree to do at uni

that would be the best for getting jobs?

and what is the worst/most worthless degree?
    best degrees:

medicine ,dentistry(definatley) pharmacy. maths, computer sofware programming, computer science, fianance and banking , accounting and finance. economics and finance.

in my opinion these above are the best with the bold one offering good prospect in money and enterprise. a degree wont make you a millionaire but an employee, if you wanna be a millionaire open up business or use your degree like dentistry to open practices. oh and the finance degrees are great but to suceed you must gain experience, in banks etc. before uni like summer placements or internships.

worst to do!

ART, animal studies, zoology, RE, (teachers degree), i would put pharmacology ( cos i did it ) but medical sale jobs are open but its still ****.
    and stupid things interior design or you know funny stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I-I)
    i would put pharmacology ( cos i did it ) but medical sale jobs are open but its still ****
    How is Pharmacology a worthless degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politricks)
    How is Pharmacology a worthless degree?
    well its not worthless but jobwise the sector is really down, if you do it and plan to study medicine or dentistry after it thats fine .or would like to do medical sales that yet again is fine. i mean iv been told by my lecturer that the industry is down. i have done it and am graduating this year. but personally i just woudnt mind working two year or 2.5 years in medical sale to earn enough money to start my own business. Then again i could have done that by working at Mackys .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I-I)
    best degrees:

medicine ,dentistry(definatley) pharmacy. maths, computer sofware programming, computer science, fianance and banking , accounting and finance. economics and finance.

in my opinion these above are the best with the bold one offering good prospect in money and enterprise. a degree wont make you a millionaire but an employee, if you wanna be a millionaire open up business or use your degree like dentistry to open practices. oh and the finance degrees are great but to suceed you must gain experience, in banks etc. before uni like summer placements or internships.

worst to do!

ART, animal studies, zoology, RE, (teachers degree), i would put pharmacology ( cos i did it ) but medical sale jobs are open but its still ****.
    A teaching degree is worthless? The people who coach and develop us from 5 years old, who prepare us for university... That's all worthless and shouldn't have been done? :lolwut:

I've heard it all now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    A teaching degree is worthless? The people who coach and develop us from 5 years old, who prepare us for university... That's all worthless and shouldn't have been done? :lolwut:

I've heard it all now.
    keep your moustache on, most people that go into teaching do so because they have no other alternative, hence primary school teachers etc. im not saying its worthless, it doesnt appeal to me. too much work involved, for the amount of pay and crap you have to take from pesky rude older student and snotty young kids. in teaching your work doesnt end there, you have plenty more planning and marking to do at home.

i dont know about you but when i come home i want my work to end when i leave the worklace. sure they get more holidays etc, but its not the best job that there can be , ( unless you do it in saudi arabia where the rewards are high, Tax free pay much more than the UK, car servents etc)

edit: worthless for me or others aspiring wealth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I-I)
    keep your moustache on, most people that go into teaching do so because they have no other alternative, hence primary school teachers etc. im not saying its worthless, it doesnt appeal to me. too much work involved, for the amount of pay and crap you have to take from pesky rude older student and snotty young kids. in teaching your work doesnt end there, you have plenty more planning and marking to do at home.

i dont know about you but when i come home i want my work to end when i leave the worklace. sure they get more holidays etc, but its not the best job that there can be.
    Firstly, I don't have a mustache thanks.

Secondly, people who get in to teaching because they have no other alternative lol? Is this a serious statement? How many teachers do you know? I'd hazard a guess at none if that's your perception of why people choose this career path.

Thirdly, you're not saying it's not a worthless degree? That's odd - the OP wanted a list of 'best' and 'worst/worthless' degrees he/she could do, you've since went back on two degrees you planted in your 'worthless' section (according to what the OP requested) to say you didn't mean they were worthless.

Lastly, most of the teachers I know find it very rewarding and in fact, no other job could compare to teaching for them. It may not be the best job for you, but it is for someone else. You're full of ****, it's as simple as that. Think before you speak and be clear on what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    What ever you fancy doing. Three years is a long time to spend doing something you hate. I know two third year medics who dropped out -one at queen Mary and another from bsms after doing something their parents wanted them to do in the first place.

ReputationRep:

Secondly, people who get in to teaching because they have no other alternative lol? Is this a serious statement? How many teachers do you know? I'd hazard a guess at none if that's your perception of why people choose this career path.

Thirdly, you're not saying it's not a worthless degree? That's odd - the OP wanted a list of 'best' and 'worst/worthless' degrees he/she could do, you've since went back on two degrees you planted in your 'worthless' section (according to what the OP requested) to say you didn't mean they were worthless.

Lastly, most of the teachers I know find it very rewarding and in fact, no other job could compare to teaching for them. It may not be the best job for you, but it is for someone else. You're full of ****, it's as simple as that. Think before you speak and be clear on what you mean.
    i put RE in the worst section, if you LOOK properly you will see that. i also have written in it in brackets (teachers degree) i know many people who have decided on a whim to do PGCE just because they dont know what to do after they have done their degree. you cannot compare a maths or chemistry teacher who has a degree in maths or chemistry or biology or physics to someone who has done RE and then chose to teach out desperation.

i was pointing out the degree RE as a bad degree, teaching does not exist as a degree. RE there arnt many jobs that you could go into with that degree other than teaching. And to top it off the stuff they teach in RE is not really correct anyways. they are always mistakes made in what they teach, after all they are reading and teaching about religions from a textbook.

ReputationRep:

incoming degree wars...

ReputationRep:

also in reponse to going back on another degree which i assume you mean pharmacology. i still think its not a good degree jobs wise. unless you plan on doing what i said. medical sales or top up degree. im still sticking to that and i would advise people to avoid it. unless that the path they want to take. you should read the original post. the OP is interested in job oportunities and money. so stop saying teaching is the best. it pays **** all in comparison to work load and stress.

ReputationRep:

Basing on 'best' ends up with you going into something you have no interest in - believe me, I know :s Do what you WANT to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I-I)
    i put RE in the worst section, if you LOOK properly you will see that. i also have written in it in brackets (teachers degree) i know many people who have decided on a whim to do PGCE just because they dont know what to do after they have done their degree. you cannot compare a maths or chemistry teacher who has a degree in maths or chemistry or biology or physics to someone who has done RE and then chose to teach out desperation.

i was pointing out the degree RE as a bad degree, teaching does not exist as a degree. RE there arnt many jobs that you could go into with that degree other than teaching. And to top it off the stuff they teach in RE is not really correct anyways. they are always mistakes made in what they teach, after all they are reading and teaching about religions from a textbook.
    If you meant RE Teaching, maybe get that across a bit better next time eh? It seems the problem lies with your grammar skills as from where I'm sitting (and a few other people no doubt), 'teaching degree' is next in the list of worst degrees:

(Original post by I-I)
    worst to do!

(Original post by I-I)
    also in reponse to going back on another degree which i assume you mean pharmacology. i still think its not a good degree jobs wise. unless you plan on doing what i said. medical sales or top up degree. im still sticking to that and i would advise people to avoid it. unless that the path they want to take. you should read the original post. the OP is interested in job oportunities and money. so stop saying teaching is the best. it pays **** all in comparison to work load and stress.
    Point me to where I said teaching was the best? Are you purposely demonstrating poor communication skills to highlight 'what not to do' at uni, i.e. pharmacology? I'm well aware of what the OP wants. My suggestion is that there's more benefits to a career than pay and teaching is a fine example of that. What would you know about primary/secondary teachers work load/stress levels? What about the consultant who's on £60k per year but due to the hours he puts in receives about £9 per net hour worked - is this better? With no family life and a poor work/life balance. Is this more lucrative? Behave yourself. Different degrees are better for different people. Anyone with a brain would have gave the OP this advice, not started rhyming off utter nonsense about unqualified personal opinions.

EDIT: And believe it or not, your maths, physics, chemistry and biology teachers are teachers who done the same teaching conversion degree in some cases. I.e. it's not exclusive to RE teachers.

ReputationRep:
    Do what you want, but research career prospects before deciding anything. If you're ok with doing a degree and getting a job in a completely unrelated, potentially non-graduate job, then fine. If you aren't, you'll probably have to be a little smarter and work out where you want to go and how you're going to get there. There is no point doing a degree you hate though; for example, nursing has one of the highest employment rates around (with many institutions having an employment rate above 95%, with the majority going into a career in nursing). However, it is a degree which requires quite a lot of work, is 50% placement based (i.e. you end up doing shifts at all hours nights, evenings, weekends) and certainly is not glamorous. You'd have a pretty high chance of getting a nursing job at the end of it, but you definitely wouldn't be able to do it unless you had the passion for it. Google Unistats; they have data on employment for most university courses, so you can look at courses that interest you/universities you like the look of.

ReputationRep:
    If you meant RE Teaching, maybe get that across a bit better next time eh? It seems the problem lies with your grammar skills as from where I'm sitting (and a few other people no doubt), 'teaching degree' is next in the list of worst degrees:

Point me to where I said teaching was the best? Are you purposely demonstrating poor communication skills to highlight 'what not to do' at uni, i.e. pharmacology? I'm well aware of what the OP wants. My suggestion is that there's more benefits to a career than pay and teaching is a fine example of that. What would you know about primary/secondary teachers work load/stress levels? What about the consultant who's on £60k per year but due to the hours he puts in receives about £9 per net hour worked - is this better? With no family life and a poor work/life balance. Is this more lucrative? Behave yourself. Different degrees are better for different people. Anyone with a brain would have gave the OP this advice, not started rhyming off utter nonsense about unqualified personal opinions.

EDIT: And believe it or not, your maths, physics, chemistry and biology teachers are teachers who done the same teaching conversion degree in some cases. I.e. it's not exclusive to RE teachers.

i meant RE as a whole degree in itself. and the brackets with "teaching degree" written next to it is just that, a reference to the subject RE. as for the cheap shots you make about grammar and blaming my grammar for YOUR lack of understanding. im not here to write perfect essays. maths and chemistry teachers have chemistry or maths degrees. they then do a PGCE so that they are qualified to teach. same as anyone with a degree. they do a PGCE to allow them to teach. i just said RE was a **** degree as you can only go into teaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I-I)
    i meant RE as a whole degree in itself. and the brackets with "teaching degree" written next to it is just that, a reference to the subject RE. as for the cheap shots you make about grammar and blaming my grammar for YOUR lack of understanding. im not here to write perfect essays. maths and chemistry teachers have chemistry or maths degrees. they then do a PGCE so that they are qualified to teach. same as anyone with a degree. they do a PGCE to allow them to teach. i just said RE was a **** degree as you can only go into teaching.
    Are you serious? You put teaching degree IN the list? it went "degree 1, RE, (teaching degree), degree 4" - what sort of understanding skills would I need to understand that you in fact meant "degree 1, RE (teaching degree), degree 3"? As if.

You're deluded. Looking back, I can't believe I spent a good 4/5 posts on you.

Goodbye.

ReputationRep:

I would say that the most employable degrees are: Mathematics, Law, Economics and perhaps PPE if it is from Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...?frame=2282873

If you want a job do one of those ^

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.