Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone read these Fantasy Series? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GluedToMyBedroom)
    What I read of this series was so good. I read the first two books and then when I eventually got onto the third i couldn't get back into it for some reason and i don't know why even though i loved the first two. Would you recommend giving them another shot?
    The third book certainly starts a little bit slow but once it gets going it's as good as ever so yeah, i'd really recommend you continue with it. The series ends quite satisfyingly as well so there's no worries there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenfish)
    If you read it when you where younger, then you might have missed out on the final book which came out last year (artemis fowl and the last guardian)
    It seems you are correct! I shall get on to reading that new instalment soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    What would people suggest as similar to A Song of Ice and Fire either in subject matter/fast paced fantasy or in the fact that you just couldn't put the books down? I have one book left in ASOIAF but want to savour it. It's the most addictive book series I've ever read. I need something to give me my fill once I'm done.

I don't see how no one has suggested it...

The Malazan Books Of The Fallen by Steven Erikson

10 Book series starting with Gardens Of The Moon http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...+moon/5978973/

Novels Of The Malazan Empire by Ian C. Esslemont, starting with Night Of Knives http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...nives/6001144/

(There's story line and character overlays so best to read the books of the fallen first.)

And then there's the The Kharkanas Trilogy by Steven Erikson, starting with Forge Of Darkness http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...kness/9476296/

And finally the Tales Of Bauchelain And Korbal Broach again by Steven Erikson

There are five I'm aware of: Blood Follows, The Healthy Dead, The Lee's Of Laughter's End, Crack'd Pot Trail and The Wurms Of Blearmouth

The first three are in the collected tales http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...+v-+1/8008952/

It seems there will also be another trilogy by Erikson set in the same world.

Wow, that was more effort to type than I thought...

ReputationRep:
    Ive read all them series apart from the rain wild chronicles, never heard of it but might check it out.

You might want to have a look at the Green Rider series by Kristen Britain,
    The Seven Realms Series by Cinda Williams Chima,
    The Collegium Chronicles by Mercedes Lackey
    Rivers of London Series by Ben Aaronovitch
    Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett
    Any Rick Riordan books(The Lightning Thief book is better than the movie from what i've heard)
    The Book Thief by Mark Zusak(not a fantasy book but a good book to read)
    Game of Thrones by George R R Martin(recommending the first book as a must read but the others not so much )

edit: sorry for the double post if there is one

ReputationRep:
    I really recommend the Black Magician Series, it became one of my favourite series, and the Traitor Spy Series, I'm only one book into this one, but it looks really promising, as all of the books by Trudi Canavan in my opinion. Also if you get a chance to get your hands on the prequel then I recommend that aswell.

Oh, and the Black Jewels Trilogy is good as well, but I didn't get to the end of the last book because I got so frustrated it wasn't going to end the way I wanted

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShadowWolf21)
    Hi guys,

I bought a book a while ago in Waterstones because I was bulk book-buying and I noticed in my Fantasy pile I'd bought the first book of a few series that sounded and looked good, but I haven't looked at any reviews on.

Now, I read a lot, and of many varied genres, so pretty much anything, but Fantasy is probably my top type next to Classics.

Anyway, the series I wondered if anyone had read were:
    The Mistborn Series - Brandon Sanderson (http://thebooksmugglers.com/wp-conte...nal-empire.jpg)
    The Night Angel Series - Brent Weeks (http://www.waterstones.com/wat/image...0356500713.jpg)
    The Rain Wild Chronicles - Robin Hobb (http://www.waterstones.com/wat/image...0007342594.jpg)
    The Traitor Spy Series - Trudi Canavan (http://www.waterstones.com/wat/image...1841495927.jpg)
    The Black Magician Series - Trudi Canavan (http://www.waterstones.com/wat/image...1841493152.jpg)

Also, if anyone could suggest anything similar, or anything in the High-Fantasy genre would be great Anything with Elves in is also good

I have read the 'Lord of the Rings' series, 'A Song of Ice and Fire' (well, up to where George R. R. Martin has written anyway), and some old vampire fiction, but any suggestions would be appreciated. A general synopsis too would be helpful!

Thanks!

EDIT: I like long and wordy books. I don't mind how small the font is, or how long the book is. If it is interesting, immersive and long, I'll like it! Not to say I don't mind short books, I just prefer long ones that make me feel lost when I've finished them (that feel you get when you've finished the book and you don't know what to do with your life for a while )
    YES

A thread about fantasy, I love fantasy series. After reading Wheel of Time and really loving what Sanderson did with it for Jordan, his own series is next on my list. A friend of mine who also read WoT read it because he also like Sanderson and he says it's really good.

Still reading a few crime books atm though (my other genre).

Part in bold - read the Wheel of Time. It's the most epic fantasy series ever. And it's finished now so you won't have to wait years between books.

ReputationRep:
    I read that Black Magician series a while ago on holiday and it was really really good I was actually trying to find out what it was called so I could re-read it haha! So thank youu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obliviate)
    I really recommend the Black Magician Series, it became one of my favourite series, and the Traitor Spy Series, I'm only one book into this one, but it looks really promising, as all of the books by Trudi Canavan in my opinion. Also if you get a chance to get your hands on the prequel then I recommend that aswell.

Oh, and the Black Jewels Trilogy is good as well, but I didn't get to the end of the last book because I got so frustrated it wasn't going to end the way I wanted

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Seems a lot of people have been recommending this series! Awesome, I shall be investing in this series as soon as I can then! Yeah, Trudi Canavan is always in stock at Waterstones and WHSmith, I've noticed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    YES

A thread about fantasy, I love fantasy series. After reading Wheel of Time and really loving what Sanderson did with it for Jordan, his own series is next on my list. A friend of mine who also read WoT read it because he also like Sanderson and he says it's really good.

Still reading a few crime books atm though (my other genre).

Part in bold - read the Wheel of Time. It's the most epic fantasy series ever. And it's finished now so you won't have to wait years between books.
    Awesome, thanks! I was wondering what number he'd stop at, as those books have tiny font and lots of pages, which has great appeal for me

The Sanderson series I've got is the Mistborn Series, so I'm going to start with that series, then move onto the Trudi Canavan Black Magician Series followed Wheel of Time because whenever I'm in Waterstones, I constantly find myself staring at the Fantasy/Sci-Fi section, unable to make a choice, but this thread has certainly given me a good direction!

I think it may be that small part of me that doesn't want to admit the Lord of the Rings is over yet Seeing as my copies are well and truly "read", if that makes sense haha I can't wait to start my next series now, as A Song of Ice and Fire still has books to come out, and I'm not someone who can just sit and wait for new series... I must READ!

ReputationRep:
    Also, just to throw it out there, has anyone ever read a book called 'Shadowmancer'? I read it once in high school, and I remember really enjoying it, but because of the amount of books I've read since then (I can't even begin to imagine the number), I can't really remember if it was just the one book, or a single one.

Also, there was another series I remember wanting to read that I saw in my local library. I'm sure it was a children's one, but it was most definitely a Fantasy series. The only information I can give is that there was a wizard on the front of one, and an orc/troll/ogre on another book. I know it was the 'Something Chronicles'. I have no idea what the something was, though.

It's a pain, because there are lots of series with 'Chronicles' at the end, but this series always sounded interesting, and I never got around to reading it!

EDIT: I found this series a few minutes after this post! It's called the 'Illmoor Chronicles' by David Lee Stone. The first book with the wizard on it is called 'The Ratastrophe Catastrophe'. Another to add to the list guys I still thinks it's fun to read Children's Fantasy sometimes... not even ashamed!

ReputationRep:
    His dark materials trilogy by phillip pullman is amazing if anyone hasn't read them, can't really call yourself a fantasy fan if you haven't read it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenfish)
    His dark materials trilogy by phillip pullman is amazing if anyone hasn't read them, can't really call yourself a fantasy fan if you haven't read it!
    I love Phillip Pullman's books! They're awesome! We read them as a group in school once, and I was the only one who enjoyed it :eek:

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.