How important is a 4th AS Level? Watch

iano101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Theflyingbarney)
Pembroke. But don't necessarily go thinking this sets a precedent - your 4th AS level would only be one of a number of factors they'd consider in your application, same as at any other college. If Pembroke would consider you good enough, so likely would several other colleges, so don't just pick a college based on where you think you're most likely to get in!
I was thinking of applying to Pembroke too, and probably thinking in my position I'm most likely to get in if i resat the C and thus took a gap year.
Jack Andrea
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I took five A-Levels : Citizenship, Travel & Tourism, Psychology, English lit and Geography. My timetable was almost full and I hardly had any frees but at the end of Yr12 I dropped Psychology and Citizenship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
willoram
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got AAAC in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Business Studies respectively. I took Further Maths AS in year 13 so they gave me an offer of A*AA(A - AS FM) but only because they are really keen for you to do most modules for Engineering. Wouldn't let the C put you off at all!
james0527
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Theflyingbarney)
I got in for law with a full A-level C in maths, so I don't think they'd be overly concerned with the grade, although I was doing 4 other A-levels (and had to explain myself at interview!). Generally, though, it's hard to tell and different colleges may have different opinions of it - some might expect that you do well in anything you have the opportunity to study (and thus restrict their 3 A-level offers to people who haven't had the chance to do any more than that); others might think it's fine as long as you do well in your other 3. If it concerns you, try phoning an admissions tutor at your chosen college, but I wouldn't be put off applying in any case.
Hey my case is pretty similar, im applying(im international) for econ for next year at LSE and UCL, not sure about Camrbridge yet.

my AS is AAAC : maths, econ, chinese-my 3rd language, and english literature(61).

I did maths a year earlier so i have an A* in maths. My UMS for best three subject is 90.3% average

This year im doing the same except im doing further maths as well. My predictions are good A*A*A(econ, chinese, FM) but my literature prediction is a C . My heart broke into pieces when my teacher told me my prediction.

I wanna know if its okay with a C prediction considering its my 5th subject... or is it better to drop it after all this hard work of almost entire year(im international, again). Or maybe I could get it to a B? if i talk nicely to my teacher- shes a bit scary tho.

I know that this is a law thread-ish.. but what was ur prediction for maths?? literature is an irrelevant subject to economics(cambridge told me this in their email reply) but still, no one wants to get disadvantaged.
wilson_smith
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by McLachlin CJ)
I wouldn't necessarily characterize maths as "irrelevant to law," particularly since you can get into law with a number of different subject combinations. Also, since mathematics is based on applying logic and making inferences, these skills are undoubtedly useful if not necessary for the legal profession.
This is tenuous, claiming the only relevant worth of maths to be mental exercise of the most generalised form hardly behooves comment (though there are certainly economic applications of law that, if pursued, might benefit from maths - though by the time this could become relevant, I doubt anyone would meaningfully remember their A level education).
Theflyingbarney
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by james0527)
Hey my case is pretty similar, im applying(im international) for econ for next year at LSE and UCL, not sure about Camrbridge yet.

my AS is AAAC : maths, econ, chinese-my 3rd language, and english literature(61).

I did maths a year earlier so i have an A* in maths. My UMS for best three subject is 90.3% average

This year im doing the same except im doing further maths as well. My predictions are good A*A*A(econ, chinese, FM) but my literature prediction is a C . My heart broke into pieces when my teacher told me my prediction.

I wanna know if its okay with a C prediction considering its my 5th subject... or is it better to drop it after all this hard work of almost entire year(im international, again). Or maybe I could get it to a B? if i talk nicely to my teacher- shes a bit scary tho.

I know that this is a law thread-ish.. but what was ur prediction for maths?? literature is an irrelevant subject to economics(cambridge told me this in their email reply) but still, no one wants to get disadvantaged.

If it were me I'd drop the Lit. There aren't any universities that will demand four A-levels to get in, and if you take that one out of the equation your application looks very strong indeed - 3A*s and an A with both Maths and Economics to A* would get you into pretty much anywhere you like for economics, I'd wager.

I know it seems disappointing given the work you've put in but there isn't really any good reason to continue with the lit - in fact if you do you may just be disadvantaging yourself in your other subjects for having extra work that needs doing. They might well still ask you about it at interview if you applied for Cambridge - they did about my maths - but since as you say it's not especially relevant I doubt they'd be too concerned as long as you can give some sort of explanation as to why it didn't go to plan.

(And for the record I took maths early too, so I already had the full C when I applied, hence no prediction )
Periwinkle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't see why you'd have to take a gap year if you wanted to resit? Surely you could do it at the same time as doing your A-levels?

A gap year for 1 AS level is certainly not worth it.
Reddish
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by willoram)
I got AAAC in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Business Studies respectively. I took Further Maths AS in year 13 so they gave me an offer of A*AA(A - AS FM) but only because they are really keen for you to do most modules for Engineering. Wouldn't let the C put you off at all!
Hey which college did u apply for? (I'm in the same situation as you - I'm not doing A3 FM but I'm selfteaching AS in year 13)

Posted from TSR Mobile
iano101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ended up just applying and finding out what they say
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (57)
19.39%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (119)
40.48%
Nope, not that interesting (118)
40.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise