Turn on thread page Beta

start uni in september BUT just found out im pregnant!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelticSymphony67)
    Are you a Tim?
    I thought every good looking guy was a Tim?

(Original post by Justpin)
    Which goes back to hire x or y? Y has been in continual employment, x is a tad rusty.
    The depends, what sort of employment has Y been in? How rusty is X? Is Y worth the risk with the new baby... Can X commit to the job more due to his/her flexibility?

There's variables to take in to account

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    I thought every good looking guy was a Tim?
    Touché my friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelticSymphony67)
    Touché my friend
    You going to Paradise for Elfsborg?

ReputationRep:
    No, but up for the match on Saturday. I live in Lancashire, so get to a few matches a year.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by sophiie88)
    Hey im totally new to this. First as you can see by the title i start my first year of uni in september however iv only just found out im pregnant although im only 6weeks its still early days. I do already have a 5year old son. But i was posting this to see if anyone has been in this situation or know someone who has. I mean im not going to drop out of uni as i believe i can still do this. I know its goin to be hard for me as my course will finish in may and ill be due in march. So i know the ups and downs. But any advice would be great. Thank you. Soph
    Welcome to TSR and congratulations on your pregnancy!

Firstly, there is a parenting society here on TSR so please feel free to join us http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post43699075

I too am a Mum and thinking of starting Uni in September. The good news is there is a lot of support out there if you need it. Firstly your son is 5, so he will be in full time school, like my daughter. So your days to go to Uni are freed up by that. You've also been through pregnancy before so you know what to expect and presumably it will be a normal pregnancy.

Som people have suggested taking a year off, and my suggestion would be to start in September, finish your first year then take a year starting after the end of your first year when your baby is still a newborn if you wish. There are child care facilities at most universities, so presuming you give birth in April, you could either put your 5month old in the crèche and not skip a year, or it might be easier to put your 17 month old in the crèche and skip a year. Your Uni will probably allow you to take a few weeks off around the birth, but this depends on the department and lecturers. Ask, so you can get some extra time off around Easter and do your coursework from home.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Justpin)
    How about a reality check?
    From someone who is neither a parent or a boss? :confused:

I am a Mum and someone who worked in senior management while my daughter was a baby and did plenty of interviewing, hiring and firing.

Of course some companies will discriminate, I would never want to work for that type of company anyway and I'm sure the OP wouldn't either. There are plenty of companies out there that do not discriminate.

I interviewed once for a job where the female interviewer asked me if I was planning anymore children. I told her my uterus was none of her business and that my previous pregnancy did not stop me from closing some high profile accounts.

As for taking time off your career affecting it, not necessarily. I've just taken two years off and when there were whisperings I was looking at working again recently I've had two headhunters and an agency in touch asking what I am looking for. I've actually decided I'm done with the industry I was working in.

Of course this isn't always the case and there will be some discrimination for parents but you can put a blanket rule over it and say it's always the case. I would say discrimination is in the minority and those companies are not ones I would be associated with anyway. If you are a valuable employee working for a good company, they will be more interested in retaining your skillset. ie how do we make her life easier so she will stay and continue to be an asset to our company?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiie88)
    Hey im totally new to this. First as you can see by the title i start my first year of uni in september however iv only just found out im pregnant although im only 6weeks its still early days. I do already have a 5year old son. But i was posting this to see if anyone has been in this situation or know someone who has. I mean im not going to drop out of uni as i believe i can still do this. I know its goin to be hard for me as my course will finish in may and ill be due in march. So i know the ups and downs. But any advice would be great. Thank you. Soph
    Get your priorities right. You can either educate yourself at uni or be enslaved to a snivelling parasite.

I know what I would choose.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, who is the father of the baby?

And what my grandma did, is she took night uni course...going to lectures during the evenings etc...not sure it's possible in this country tho :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyde)
    Get your priorities right. You can either educate yourself at uni or be enslaved to a snivelling parasite.

I know what I would choose.
    WOW...Talk about heartless..:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economist2)
    I have a heart, otherwise I wouldn't be alive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economist2)
    it's a wind up

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting my (second) degree in September and I'm currently 19 weeks. Baby will be born at the beginning of December I've just sort of ignored the fact I'm pregnant...I don't intend on letting it get in the way of things and I will reassess how I feel about doing my second term after she is born. My main concern is funding...if I take any time off Uni, I won't get any help with childcare for my son and it is very important to me that he is still able to go to nursery. If she and I are both healthy, I'll be restarting my course when she's about 7 weeks old. Not ideal, but the whole point of me retraining is to give my children a better life than I my husband and I are able to currently. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    Welcome to TSR and congratulations on your pregnancy!

Firstly, there is a parenting society here on TSR so please feel free to join us http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post43699075

I too am a Mum and thinking of starting Uni in September. The good news is there is a lot of support out there if you need it. Firstly your son is 5, so he will be in full time school, like my daughter. So your days to go to Uni are freed up by that. You've also been through pregnancy before so you know what to expect and presumably it will be a normal pregnancy.

Som people have suggested taking a year off, and my suggestion would be to start in September, finish your first year then take a year starting after the end of your first year when your baby is still a newborn if you wish. There are child care facilities at most universities, so presuming you give birth in April, you could either put your 5month old in the crèche and not skip a year, or it might be easier to put your 17 month old in the crèche and skip a year. Your Uni will probably allow you to take a few weeks off around the birth, but this depends on the department and lecturers. Ask, so you can get some extra time off around Easter and do your coursework from home.
    I depends on the Uni and course but its very unlikely to get time off in April as end of year exams usually run through April and May. Her estimated gestation is why I recommended deferring as you can't progress until you've taken your exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.