Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike93L)
    Feynman, Tesla, Maxwell and Newton (even though he was a ****)
    he was quite the penis indeed!

ReputationRep:
    Leonhard Euler

ReputationRep:
    newton, discovering gravity after being hit by an apple,
    priceless
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by SannaS)
    newton, discovering gravity after being hit by an apple,
    priceless
    Unfortunately that is a purely apocryphal story.

Newton was 'occasioned by the fall of an apple'. Meaning he observed the apple falling and the thought struck him!

Maxwell
    Curie
    Lorentz
    Rutherford

Although the definition of physicist/chemist/mathematician is interchangeable in this kind of company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Releasethekraken)
    Nikola Tesla - one of the most underrated geniuses of all time. Also Richard Feynman and Einstein.
    I know! I love Tesla's work and life - its a shame he doesn't get as much notoriety as some others

I know this has been said but Newton. He is the grandfather of mechanics, and even has his own topic in ocr: Newtonian world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomd_love)
    I know! I love Tesla's work and life - its a shame he doesn't get as much notoriety as some others
    i thought Tesla was actually really famous? well he has an epic rap battle of history on youtube vs edison, its brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    oppenheimer, also carl sagan is one of my favourite scientists!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physics4ever)
    i thought Tesla was actually really famous? well he has an epic rap battle of history on youtube vs edison, its brilliant!
    He is famous but not more than Edison and the fact that he invented the AC supply system is overshadowed by edisons bulb, and DC system. I only learned about tesla when I got to GCSE and it was only at A level I learned even more.

But when you're a kid in primary you all learn who Thomas Edison is.

I loved the rap battle

ReputationRep:
    Lagrange, Hamilton for a beautiful way of doing classical mechanics

Feynman for just being ridiculously cool.

Jeff Forshaw (best uni physics lecturer ever)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Unfortunately that is a purely apocryphal story.

Newton was 'occasioned by the fall of an apple'. Meaning he observed the apple falling and the thought struck him!

Maxwell
    Curie
    Lorentz
    Rutherford

Although the definition of physicist/chemist/mathematician is interchangeable in this kind of company.
    had to kill it

ReputationRep:
    So not much love for Hawking mmm?

Hooke had the great misfortune to be working at the same time and as newton who overshadowed his reputation.

In addition to many worthies already mentioned... Cavendish, maxwell.
    I always found the idea of solo experimenters discovering romantic so I feel affinity with a lot of the electron guys e.g. Millikan, Thomson(G), Thomson(JJ)

Curie (token woman )
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    just wanted to make a thread on this, i love physics!
    (...)
    You make me happy! Well, my 'heroes' are Werner Heisenberg, the founder of the uncertainty principle, Isaac Newton who discovered the gravity, and at the top Albert Einstein who postulated the theory of relativity and laid the foundation of time dilation. He was just a genius to his life times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    So not much love for Hawking mmm?

Hooke had the great misfortune to be working at the same time and as newton who overshadowed his reputation.

In addition to many worthies already mentioned... Cavendish, maxwell.
    I always found the idea of solo experimenters discovering romantic so I feel affinity with a lot of the electron guys e.g. Millikan, Thomson(G), Thomson(JJ)

Curie (token woman )
    I've heard the stories about Cavendish and how weird he was,and how he had a backstaircase because he couldnt talk to the maid and all that, but I practically thought he was brilliant! and also Hawking is actually quite cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    You make me happy! Well, my 'heroes' are Werner Heisenberg, the founder of the uncertainty principle, newton who discovered the gravity, and at the top Einstein who postulated the theory of relativity and laid the foundation of time dilation. He was just a genius to his life times.
    Im guessing you also love physics? :P , im a big fan of relativity so Einstein is at the top places on my list too

ReputationRep:
    Surprised no - one has mentioned Faraday - easily one of the greatest experimentalists ever.

Then roughly in order Newton, Einstein, Maxwell, Feynman, Dirac.

ReputationRep:
    Feynman-for being awesome
    Tesla-underrated genius
    Newton-smart but also made up some stuff
    Euler-idk

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    am i seriously the only one that doesn't like isaac newton? :/

ReputationRep:
    Feynman!

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really matter to me that Newton is reputed to have been a douche. The question is who are my physics heroes so I judge on the physics and in that regard Newton is imo number 1, in fact I would say he's the greatest scientist of all time. I'm a fan of Ed Witten.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Im guessing you also love physics? :P , im a big fan of relativity so Einstein is at the top places on my list too
    Not only Physics, but also Biology and Chemistry. Would you start a similar thread for Biology and Chemistry? Do you know Heike Kamerlingh Onnes? a dutch physicist who discovered the superconductivity. It means that a material lost the electrical resistance when it reaches the transition temperature. Imagine what it means in the future! humans could be able to transfer electricity without resistance, without a loss! but the lowest one is -150 °C so far. But if people find a way to reduce the transition temperature to 20-30°C in the future, it can be very useful for society. Moreover there is an interesting effect in terms of superconductivity: the material can be 'hover', if the critical temperature is lesser than the temperature in surrounding. Then the magnetic field is repressed, that is to say it 'goes around' the material and the phenomenon come into being. It fascinates me all the time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 10, 2013

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.