How long does a gym session take to complete? Also, what does the session consist of? Watch

tooosh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Luxray)
but its not manual, I set the routine before I use the treadmill so my energy is focused on running, the treadmill swtiches speeds on its own. And when I said relatively high one minute i meant going near enough as fast as i can without potentially falling of the treadmill lol. Sorry for lack of clarity
I understand interval training in general terms is like how you described but i do feel what i was doing was HIIT. But the again you might the expert in fitness, im a rookie.
If the treadmill switches speed on it's own then you're running at max effort, not what setting you put the treadmill at. In that case it's HIIT. I didn't know that treadmills do that nowadays.

EDIT: ignore all that. Switching speeds periodically to a preset is not HIIT. You run at the speed you set your treadmill to let you run at, not your maximum speed. It might be close but technically it's not HIIT.
debateamate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
well when I did squats today... got there at 3pm, finished by 6pm....
nopenopenope
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by debateamate)
well when I did squats today... got there at 3pm, finished by 6pm....
Awwww yeaaah mang.
Luxray
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tooosh)
If the treadmill switches speed on it's own then you're running at max effort, not what setting you put the treadmill at. In that case it's HIIT. I didn't know that treadmills do that nowadays.

EDIT: ignore all that. Switching speeds periodically to a preset is not HIIT. You run at the speed you set your treadmill to let you run at, not your maximum speed. It might be close but technically it's not HIIT.
oh okay, yeah what you say makes sense, i guess if i really was doing HIIT then id only survive up to 10 minutes given id spend sone of that tine at max effort Normally i do 10-15.
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What you need to do:
bench
row
squat
deadlift
overhead press
Some would say pullups. I'd agree.

Everything else depends on your goals and your situation now. Beginner? It won't take 10 sets on your chest to sufficiently work it; go with a basic high frequency program like stronglifts. Aesthetics? You'll want more volume, bicep+tricep work and other isolation exercises but you'll compromise on frequency. etc

Also depends but at a guess,

This is pretty much the stronglifts and it's something that appeals to me.

A quick question, but when you say squat, do you always mean as in, squat with a barbell? Always?
LukeM90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do resistance training (weights) 3x a week each session usualy takes 30 mins - hour depending on how comprehensive my warm up/cool down is, how much rest I take and how accessible the kit is (how busy the gym is, can I get to everything I need right away)

I also do 2-3 sessions of cardio on days between, one session is a long run, anywhere from 30 mins to an hour, the rest are short interval, tabata type training anywhere from 5-20 minutes

and thats getting me where I want to be, I still have belly fat but Im getting fitter, alot stronger and notcing some minor gains in my physique (too early to expect huge gains)

my resistance training is roughly this:

Tuesday:

Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Chin Ups 3x to Failure
Pull Ups 3x to Failure

Thursday:

Squat 3x5
Overhead Press 3x5
Bent Over Row 3x5
Dips 3x to Failure

Saturday: (morning)

Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Chin Ups 3x to Failure
Pull Ups 3x to Failure

Some people think doing squats every session and deadlifts 2times a week is a bit much but I disagree, I'm a beginner and a full body workout 3x a week seems fine, also the 3x5 volume is just right, challenging but havent been injured yet (doing this routine) or fully burnt myself out to the point I couldnt train next session

I'll probably have to go to an upper/lower split once the weight/volume/intensity gets too much to maintain this

I also do accessory excersises in the way of pull ups, chin ups and dips really to support my arm, shoulder and upper back strength and development (areas Im weakest in plus I felt the current routine didnt have enough emphasis on the arms in partiqular but thats just me)

I know some will disagree with this routine or think its bad but its the only thing thats worked for me so far, though tbh I only started eating properly when I started this routine so thats probably why :P

Hope this helps anyone in anyway.
Blob2491
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by James A)

Sounds good.

What do you mean by row or cleans with squat?

I do remember you posting on these forums before, so how long have you started lifting for?

You're gonna be going 3x a week and you'll rotate your workout with A and B
A
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Row or Power Clean (your choice) 5x5
(+assistance)

B
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
(+assistance)

Week 1 - ABA, Week 2 - BAB etc

I've been lifting about a year now. If you're serious about lifting (stuff gets addictive) always start with strength. Size will follow as well but it's better to learn how to coordinate your body with the basic movement patterns. You start with the bar and add weight each session if you get the total 5x5 sets (add 5kg to deadlift and 2.5kg to other lifts each session). If you don't get 5x5 then repeat the same weight for another 2 sessions and if you still don't get it, deload the weight by about 10%

(Did you hear the thunder last night, it was mental!)
Appeal to reason
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends on your routine really. During a reset, I can be done in about an hour, then it goes anywhere up to about 2 hours depending on whether I'm finishing with cardio, and how much rest I need between squat sets.

I'd start with Stronglifts or SS I was you, at least for a couple of months so you can build up some good form, learn the movements and all that. Chuck in some arm work at the end of the sessions.
After that if you're wanting aesthetics you could move onto something with more accessory lifts or a split routine. (As some posters have suggested)

I guess Ice Cream Fitness would also be another routine you could try after you've got the basics. Its similar to stronglifts, but has a lot more accessory work, so sessions can end up being very long, especially once you start squatting heavy. (The main thing that put me off it)
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blob2491)
You're gonna be going 3x a week and you'll rotate your workout with A and B
A
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Row or Power Clean (your choice) 5x5
(+assistance)

B
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
(+assistance)

Week 1 - ABA, Week 2 - BAB etc

I've been lifting about a year now. If you're serious about lifting (stuff gets addictive) always start with strength. Size will follow as well but it's better to learn how to coordinate your body with the basic movement patterns. You start with the bar and add weight each session if you get the total 5x5 sets (add 5kg to deadlift and 2.5kg to other lifts each session). If you don't get 5x5 then repeat the same weight for another 2 sessions and if you still don't get it, deload the weight by about 10%

(Did you hear the thunder last night, it was mental!)
Good info here.

What's the typical starting weight for beginners? 20kg?

So 5x5 basically means, 5 reps over 5 sets?

Yeah, I guess technique is the most important thing for the first couple of weeks.
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For me it depends on what day and exercises. Doing chest takes me around 45 mins to a hour, while doing squats and deadlifts can take up a hour and a half.
Blob2491
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good info here.

What's the typical starting weight for beginners? 20kg?

So 5x5 basically means, 5 reps over 5 sets?

Yeah, I guess technique is the most important thing for the first couple of weeks.
The standard olympic barbells weight around 20kg, give or take a few kgs so start with just the bar with the bench, squat and overhead press to nail your form. You can't really start with only the bar on the deadlift and row/clean so maybe start with 40kg on those or if available use those plastic plates that weigh zilch.

Yup 5 reps, rest, 5 reps, rest, 5 reps, rest, 5 reps, rest, 5 reps next exercise
Because you're starting light try to keep rest as low as possible but not short enough to tire you out or just rest until you're ready. I generally rest about 30-90 seconds for the first 4 sets and take as long as I need for the last set.

I'll PM you some good form videos that explain what to do and why it's done that way and how to activate the targeted muscle groups.
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blob2491)
The standard olympic barbells weight around 20kg, give or take a few kgs so start with just the bar with the bench, squat and overhead press to nail your form. You can't really start with only the bar on the deadlift and row/clean so maybe start with 40kg on those or if available use those plastic plates that weigh zilch.

Yup 5 reps, rest, 5 reps, rest, 5 reps, rest, 5 reps, rest, 5 reps next exercise
Because you're starting light try to keep rest as low as possible but not short enough to tire you out or just rest until you're ready. I generally rest about 30-90 seconds for the first 4 sets and take as long as I need for the last set.

I'll PM you some good form videos that explain what to do and why it's done that way and how to activate the targeted muscle groups.
Also, how would you warm up, because it's important to otherwise I could pull a muscle, right?
Blob2491
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also, how would you warm up, because it's important to otherwise I could pull a muscle, right?
It takes me about 15mins to walk to the gym so I count that as squat warm up but usually I just use the bar and do 15-20 reps to get into the groove as well as some long jumps and and squat jumps using my whole body to throw myself. For pushing exercises I like to do YTWs to warm up the shoulders
dan94adibi
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1 hour to 1 hour an half.
15-30 Cardio and the rest is weight.
I also keep 10-15 min for sit ups in the end.
tooosh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

This is pretty much the stronglifts and it's something that appeals to me.

A quick question, but when you say squat, do you always mean as in, squat with a barbell? Always?
Always with a barbell. Once you can squat with a barbell there's not much point in doing it without.

I started at 50kg and I weighed 56kg or something like that.

But learn from my mistake and start at 30-40kg to get your form down

One thing I should mention, the only valid complaint against Stronglifts is that squatting 3x a weak makes you very lower heavy and disproportioned. I followed this for a while:

A: Squat, Bench, Row, Curl
B: Pullups, OHP, Deadlift, Tricep extensions

And got results.
When I did SS as written (squatting 3x a week) my squat and deadlift shot up but everything else lagged behind.
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
Always with a barbell. Once you can squat with a barbell there's not much point in doing it without.

I started at 50kg and I weighed 56kg or something like that.

But learn from my mistake and start at 30-40kg to get your form down

One thing I should mention, the only valid complaint against Stronglifts is that squatting 3x a weak makes you very lower heavy and disproportioned. I followed this for a while:

A: Squat, Bench, Row, Curl
B: Pullups, OHP, Deadlift, Tricep extensions

And got results.
When I did SS as written (squatting 3x a week) my squat and deadlift shot up but everything else lagged behind.
50kg for a start, blimey.

When you mean lower heavy, you mean the lower half of my body bulks up compared to the upper half of your body?

Was your A and B workouts at 5x5?

Isn't row for cardio though? I remember tehforum talking about it alot.

So even though you did SS, what do you mean by 'everything else lagged behind'?

safe brah.
ZRO
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

When you mean lower heavy, you mean the lower half of my body bulks up compared to the upper half of your body?

safe brah.
No lol row isn't cardio you might be mistaking it with rowing machine :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
(Original post by ZRO)
No lol row isn't cardio you might be mistaking it with rowing machine :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
loooool tehforum trolled me hard.

Got any youtube videos to show how rowing works?
tooosh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

safe brah.
Yeah you become quite lower dominant.

You should definitely be able to start at 50kg. But that doesn't mean you should actually do it.

I did 3x5 but only really started getting results on my upper body when I moved to 5x5.
ZRO
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
loooool tehforum trolled me hard.

Got any youtube videos to show how rowing works?
Yeah they're known as bent over rows I'll find you some videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boxbOSGwD4U

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.69%
No (549)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise