How many people leave Cambridge or Oxford with a 2:2 (If any) Watch

Ilovemaths96
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
Getting a 2.2 doesn't mean you've taken your foot off the pedal.
well you've proved that you are intelligent and/or hardworking enough to get into oxbridge so why should you not leave witha 2:1 or above.
Not many people get the opportunity to go to oxbridge and those who leave with a 2:2 or worse because they slacked, seems pretty stupid to me
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ilovemaths96)
well you've proved that you are intelligent and/or hardworking enough to get into oxbridge so why should you not leave witha 2:1 or above.
Not many people get the opportunity to go to oxbridge and those who leave with a 2:2 or worse because they slacked, seems pretty stupid to me
Some subjects only allow a certain percentage to get a 2.1 or a First, so those who are towards the bottom of their year group automatically lose out, even if they have worked very hard :sadnod:
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because people get 2.2s every year, it doesn't necessarily mean they slacked (although slacking is of course one possible explanation).

People get 2.2s every year, it can just mean you're one of the least able in a year group where the average person has 2.6A*. Certainly, I wouldn't describe friends of mine who got 2.2s at Cambridge as having "slacked" - they worked hard, but when everyone is intelligent and some people get awarded 2.2s every year, then some people can lose out.
ClickItBack
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
One of my friends who did maths got S, S in STEP and was an absolute workaholic at uni. He still found Cambridge a struggle - got a borderline 2.1 in first 2 years, but then came out on a very high 2.2 in third year. This was despite putting in just as much effort, if not more, than many who got 1sts.

It's not just about effort. Cambridge set the bar on some of their courses very high. As a matter of comparison, this same guy with a 2.2 at Cambridge maths went to Warwick to do his masters and came top of the year with over 90%.

Also, people may think that natural ability is equalised at Cambridge because everybody has high grades, so the differences in achievement are all down to how much they work. However, it is striking just how far the bell curve of ability stretches. Every year, for example, the difference between the top and bottom first is much greater than the difference between the bottom first and a third.
fluteflute
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by smile:D)
Edit: can anyone shed any light on why there's this disparity between sciences/humanities?
The generally accepted wisdom (although I don't know if it is actually true) is that in essay based subjects, almost everyone gets a 2.1, but it is hard to get a 1st or 2.2. On the other hand in the sciences, you can more easily differentiate candidates, and therefore it's easier both to get a 1st and to get a 2.2.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by smile:D)

Edit: can anyone shed any light on why there's this disparity between sciences/humanities?
ermmm because humanities are easier ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?