Turn on thread page Beta

Is chart music going through a good patch? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    Not entirely true Timbaland for instance isn't exactly skint is he?
    It's a generalization I know but if you look at recent years acts such as Rihanna, beyonce and Bieber have been doing well. They do not write their songs. I proffer bands such as paramore, foo fighters and muse as they wrote the song so have more emotional connection and are able to connect better with the listeners.

I'm not just saying that because I only like rock. I Personally have great respect for people like Ed Sheehan. I hate his music but at least he writes it and therefore has talent

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammy Lanka)
    It's a generalization I know but if you look at recent years acts such as Rihanna, beyonce and Bieber have been doing well. They do not write their songs. I proffer bands such as paramore, foo fighters and muse as they wrote the song so have more emotional connection and are able to connect better with the listeners.

I'm not just saying that because I only like rock. I Personally have great respect for people like Ed Sheehan. I hate his music but at least he writes it and therefore has talent

Posted from TSR Mobile
    but to counter that isn't a vocalists delivery more important than their lyrics? You can go with **** lyrics but you'll be picked up straight away for a bad voice so they are still talented.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not everyone has to write lyrics in order to produce good music :rolleyes: Elvis didn't write any of his stuff and he's considered a legend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    but to counter that isn't a vocalists delivery more important than their lyrics? You can go with **** lyrics but you'll be picked up straight away for a bad voice so they are still talented.
    How can you put emotion into lyrics you have no connection to. You can't so the delivery sucks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Disclosure <3

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Beyoncé co-writes a lot of her own songs.

Anyway, I think chart music this summer is amazing recently! My favourites include Daft Punk, Icona Pop, David Guetta, Rudimental.

ReputationRep:
    Tom Odell - Another Love is another good track

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    For a long time I haven't been particualrly bothered with new songs but over the last few months I've noticed some excellent tunes like:Bastille-PompeiiJohn NewmanChris Malinchak - So Good To Me Icona pop - I love itand some others I forget the nameDoes anyone agree with these sentiments?
    if you download the top 20 from 10 years ago and compare it to todays, you will see its largely the same stuff re-hashed, with different generation of artists. the music companies know how to make money that is recycle the same old garbage for successive generations to buy.

ReputationRep:
    i stand by they havent been able to make good music since the 70s... all this new crap is about drugs, ****ing and popping caps in ****** ass's... its ****.

ReputationRep:
    I'm liking the 90s garage sound that's making a comeback - other than that it's mostly as bad as usual

ReputationRep:
    Best period was mid 2000s when the indie bands were doing well in the singles and album charts.

ReputationRep:
    ...a thousand times, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good.
    Yep, I'd say it's the opposite. 95% of people are ****ing idiots. Ergo when a lot of them like something collectively there is a strong chance it is ****. There are exceptions. Not many (Led Zeppelin, jeans, Coca Cola.)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I believe it is. It may have to do with me going to work every day and listening to the radio a lot, but I don't know, I do like a lot of the songs, Blurred Lines, that Lumineers one, that Icona Pop one, there's loads

Bastille are **** though, nothing worse than watery indie

ReputationRep:
    chart music has been ****e for years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4RealBlud)
    Don't mean to be pedantic, but isn't whether if something is good all a matter of opinion? Therefore, since chart music is the music that most people think is good in their opinion, wouldn't that make chart music always good? Since, you know, it's the kind of music that more people think is good than any other music.
    No :confused:

Only people with crap taste in music say this. There is some objective viewpoint in music.

By saying it's good because a lot of people like it you're saying there's no talent, skill or art involved in making music and the only difference between a good musician and a bad musician is the amount of people who like them, which is just ridiculous. It's an art form, popular isn't synonymous with good.

ReputationRep:
    Cuz we danced all night to the best song evaaaa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    No :confused:

Only people with crap taste in music say this. There is some objective viewpoint in music.

By saying it's good because a lot of people like it you're saying there's no talent, skill or art involved in making music and the only difference between a good musician and a bad musician is the amount of people who like them, which is just ridiculous. It's an art form, popular isn't synonymous with good.
    So art with a combination of lots of people's work is always worse than songs with less production?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    So art with a combination of lots of people's work is always worse than songs with less production?
    What? I'm not sure how that's relevant at all to the point I was making. Good music is good music, regardless of how many people worked to create it. Pop music is rarely good.

Pop music as a rule of thumb isn't created to push boundaries, it's just designed to be as vanilla, unthreatening and catchy as possible because that allows it to reach the widest possible audience and thus become popular. Pop stars generally have input from a ****load of people because the emphasis isn't on the music, it's on the image and the brand. The public gets what they're told to get. Don't underestimate for a second how the entertainment industry (film, television, music, cinema, etc) works.

Let's look at someone like Britney Spears for example. When she first came out, she was massive across the globe. Not because her music was great, but because of the "Britney Spears" brand. People don't just buy into the songs, they buy into the image she presents.

Put simply, if Britney Spears was a fat spotty teenager singing "hit me baby one more time" you'd never have heard of her. But she wasn't. She was gorgeous, so she became the "in" thing. She gets the push from the PR agencies that she needs to become a worldwide megastar.

Further down the line she lost her grip on reality, put on a load of weight and shaved her head. Suddenly she's not so marketable anymore. The press go out of their way to tell everyone how ****ed up she's got, and the public latch on. Suddenly her popularity drops.

After a while she get's her **** together and releases more songs, that don't do so well. Is it because the songs are bad? No. They're no worse than "hit me baby one more time". But public opinion of her has been shaped by the media, so she's no longer the in thing.

Now she's on the American X Factor trying to reinvent herself as a *****, because the public won't buy her as a teen pop star anymore.

You only have to watch the front pages of the tabloids to see how much the media shapes public opinion. The public doesn't get what the public wants. They get what they're told to get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    What? I'm not sure how that's relevant at all to the point I was making. Good music is good music, regardless of how many people worked to create it. Pop music is rarely good.

Pop music as a rule of thumb isn't created to push boundaries, it's just designed to be as vanilla, unthreatening and catchy as possible because that allows it to reach the widest possible audience and thus become popular. Pop stars generally have input from a ****load of people because the emphasis isn't on the music, it's on the image and the brand. The public gets what they're told to get. Don't underestimate for a second how the entertainment industry (film, television, music, cinema, etc) works.

Let's look at someone like Britney Spears for example. When she first came out, she was massive across the globe. Not because her music was great, but because of the "Britney Spears" brand. People don't just buy into the songs, they buy into the image she presents.

Put simply, if Britney Spears was a fat spotty teenager singing "hit me baby one more time" you'd never have heard of her. But she wasn't. She was gorgeous, so she became the "in" thing. She gets the push from the PR agencies that she needs to become a worldwide megastar.

Further down the line she lost her grip on reality, put on a load of weight and shaved her head. Suddenly she's not so marketable anymore. The press go out of their way to tell everyone how ****ed up she's got, and the public latch on. Suddenly her popularity drops.

After a while she get's her **** together and releases more songs, that don't do so well. Is it because the songs are bad? No. They're no worse than "hit me baby one more time". But public opinion of her has been shaped by the media, so she's no longer the in thing.

Now she's on the American X Factor trying to reinvent herself as a *****, because the public won't buy her as a teen pop star anymore.

You only have to watch the front pages of the tabloids to see how much the media shapes public opinion. The public doesn't get what the public wants. They get what they're told to get.
    exactly my problems about pop music. I don't listen to chart music. I have a selection of artists and I'm not a hipster to just go on random people's music. But take for example justin timberlake mirrors. There are much better songs on the album, strawberry bubblegum, hold the wall, groove but mirrors gets it because it's catchy compared to those songs and more poppy. Although strawberry bubblegum really should get a video. Annoys me the **** music that comes out.

At least rudimental and disclosure are doing it atm.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.