hi everyone! Watch

lucine.B
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tilly Seargeant)
Yeah £12000 cheaper than normal uni. Since it's flexible I'm aiming to get a full to semi-full time job, and I'd only need to earn just over £5000 per year to pay for it.

Forensics always interests me. Not as a job, but I find what they do fascinating.
Oh wow, thats good then. Cool, do they give bursaries or scholarships like other uni's???

Ah well i'd love it as a job hehe! Would love to be a lab analyst rather than CSI. Love working in a lab. Love forensic science its just great!
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lucine.B)
Oh wow, thats good then. Cool, do they give bursaries or scholarships like other uni's???

Ah well i'd love it as a job hehe! Would love to be a lab analyst rather than CSI. Love working in a lab. Love forensic science its just great!
You seem very passionate about forensics .

I'm not sure about bursaries and things. They give financial help to people who need it, but since I live with my parents I wouldn't receive anything like that.
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello Vijo welcome I'm lucine

Ah cool, exeter is a great university! Do you have like a second/third choice just in case???
I aim to study abroad in Tokyo/Australia/Hong kong but i have been looking at universities over here and i quite like UCLAN or UEA it looked really nice when i went there haha.
yeah well my first choice is the cornwall campus at Exeter and my second will be one of the Exeter campus' I have also been thinking about Plymouth uni
A7d8i6l
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've done my personal statement if any of you gals need help just PM me!! Happy to help anytime

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
lucine.B
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You seem very passionate about forensics .

I'm not sure about bursaries and things. They give financial help to people who need it, but since I live with my parents I wouldn't receive anything like that.
I'm passionate about a lot if things haha!

Ah i see cool. So moving out doesn't appeal to you??? Or would you rather wait until you get a job???
I cannot wait to move out hehe.
lucine.B
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tgwktm)
yeah well my first choice is the cornwall campus at Exeter and my second will be one of the Exeter campus' I have also been thinking about Plymouth uni
Ah ok, so you've grown to love Exeter then haha
Just how I am with the universities abroad thy if like to apply to
Ah Plymouth is nice.
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm passionate about a lot if things haha!

Ah i see cool. So moving out doesn't appeal to you??? Or would you rather wait until you get a job???
I cannot wait to move out hehe.
I want to move out, but if I have uni debts I won't be going anywhere for a while anyway. At least with open uni I could get some independence, have a full time job, and earn enough to both pay the fees and perhaps rent somewhere, giving me the ability to kind of do as I please. That way I would be able to come out with a degree, and an already stable job, so I don't have to be fishing around for one. It just fits in with what I want a lot more than regular uni does.
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ah ok, so you've grown to love Exeter then haha
Just how I am with the universities abroad thy if like to apply to
Ah Plymouth is nice.
I have visited the cornwall campus a number of times and it seems to be my kind of place, and Exeter uni has a good reputation for geography
lucine.B
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I want to move out, but if I have uni debts I won't be going anywhere for a while anyway. At least with open uni I could get some independence, have a full time job, and earn enough to both pay the fees and perhaps rent somewhere, giving me the ability to kind of do as I please. That way I would be able to come out with a degree, and an already stable job, so I don't have to be fishing around for one. It just fits in with what I want a lot more than regular uni does.

Ah i see. Well i get what you mean there! Oh if things were just a little bit cheaper :rolleyes: haha
Well thats good! I'll only be able to get a part time job but the costs do not worry me too much. Yeah i get what you mean, it really depends on what you want/need. If you feel thats whats best for you then you should do that It's great that you've found a place that fits in with what you want, i know some people still cant find a place like that.
lucine.B
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tgwktm)
I have visited the cornwall campus a number of times and it seems to be my kind of place, and Exeter uni has a good reputation for geography
Ah great its always good to visit the uni first and make sure you really like it
Yeah my friend went to exeter...forgot what he studied haha but he said it was really good and it is a great uni!
Have you looked at all the other things like societies/ nightlife/ extra curriculars & accommodation???
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah i see. Well i get what you mean there! Oh if things were just a little bit cheaper :rolleyes: haha
Well thats good! I'll only be able to get a part time job but the costs do not worry me too much. Yeah i get what you mean, it really depends on what you want/need. If you feel thats whats best for you then you should do that It's great that you've found a place that fits in with what you want, i know some people still cant find a place like that.
Yeah I know. I'd been considering open uni for years, but my parents always wanted me to study at a normal uni because they thought I was better than open uni. But with the fee rises and the fact that I've got it well planned, they have actually come around and realised that it's best for me. You seem to have found something which fits in with yourself too, which is great! I'd do anything to study abroad, but I thought I can always do that afterwards.
lucine.B
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah I know. I'd been considering open uni for years, but my parents always wanted me to study at a normal uni because they thought I was better than open uni. But with the fee rises and the fact that I've got it well planned, they have actually come around and realised that it's best for me. You seem to have found something which fits in with yourself too, which is great! I'd do anything to study abroad, but I thought I can always do that afterwards.
Ah okay cool, i've been considering studying abroad for a while now haha. I see where they're coming from but you're right, with rising costs i'm sure what you're planning is probably best.
Do you think that there might be quite a few people thinking like this meaning places are becoming much more competitive because people are applying for the open uni to cut costs???
Haha yeah! Really??? Of course i mean you could even ask to do a year abroad in another uni if thats possible, i know on some courses you can do that ...though that may only be what some universities do, not sure hehe.
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah okay cool, i've been considering studying abroad for a while now haha. I see where they're coming from but you're right, with rising costs i'm sure what you're planning is probably best.
Do you think that there might be quite a few people thinking like this meaning places are becoming much more competitive because people are applying for the open uni to cut costs???
Haha yeah! Really??? Of course i mean you could even ask to do a year abroad in another uni if thats possible, i know on some courses you can do that ...though that may only be what some universities do, not sure hehe.
Yeah I was thinking about the competition, but if I apply early enough I should be in with a good chance. I'm not entirely sure how it works. I'm not sure if they have a certain number of places to allocate or not. I assume they have some form of maximum, since you still have tutors that you get help from online. But my parents now fully support me since I explained my reasons behind my decision. My school probably won't be too happy when they find out. My head of year was chasing me to consider Oxbridge, but I don't consider myself clever enough.

I could probably do a short course abroad even, if a uni wouldn't take me. I'm sure there would be loads of opportunities to do such things.
lucine.B
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah I was thinking about the competition, but if I apply early enough I should be in with a good chance. I'm not entirely sure how it works. I'm not sure if they have a certain number of places to allocate or not. I assume they have some form of maximum, since you still have tutors that you get help from online. But my parents now fully support me since I explained my reasons behind my decision. My school probably won't be too happy when they find out. My head of year was chasing me to consider Oxbridge, but I don't consider myself clever enough.

I could probably do a short course abroad even, if a uni wouldn't take me. I'm sure there would be loads of opportunities to do such things.
Ah okay yeah i should think so too. Well if they have many centres i'm not sure it would make much difference as that would mean they have many places to allocate...right???
I wish my parents were as supportive...well they kind of are its my uncle that infuriates me the most. Its good that they respect your decision.
Aww no don't say that! I mean you could always try for a scholarship. If your head has faith in you then its obviously possible. My head was saying the same thing and tried to force me into seminars but i just don't like the idea of studying at Oxbridge. When i went to an open day i just wanted to leave asap! Not the place for me...although Cambridge is okay its just that they don't do forensic chem or just chem..they do Natsci - really cba with that haha.
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah okay yeah i should think so too. Well if they have many centres i'm not sure it would make much difference as that would mean they have many places to allocate...right???
I wish my parents were as supportive...well they kind of are its my uncle that infuriates me the most. Its good that they respect your decision.
Aww no don't say that! I mean you could always try for a scholarship. If your head has faith in you then its obviously possible. My head was saying the same thing and tried to force me into seminars but i just don't like the idea of studying at Oxbridge. When i went to an open day i just wanted to leave asap! Not the place for me...although Cambridge is okay its just that they don't do forensic chem or just chem..they do Natsci - really cba with that haha.
Yeah they should have plenty of places to allocate. My parents are half supportive. They respect my decision but they like to remind me of normal unis now and again. I get that they just want the best for me. They do often tell me - well what about... But they don't do it as much now, because I'm certain that open uni works for me.

Yeah I was almost forced into summer school, but I was like - during the summer I get a head start on my studies for the following year and want a relax from a long, hard year. It didn't appeal to me. I just don't think Oxbridge would appeal to me that much. I didn't attend their open day - I attended one just to look willing. I wanted to see whether normal uni was nice. And don't get me wrong it was an amazing place - the facilities were brilliant. But I didn't want to rack up debts for the sack of it's a nice place to learn. At the end of the day my heart weren't in it. I knew after visiting that it would be lovely, and if the fees were less I'd go tomorrow, but I'm happy with my decision.

Cambridge and Oxford always seem to be much more centred around the arts compared with sciences. They're big on history, literature etc. Not really a place for science so much in my opinion. Imperial is really your place for science in the UK I'd say.
lucine.B
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah they should have plenty of places to allocate. My parents are half supportive. They respect my decision but they like to remind me of normal unis now and again. I get that they just want the best for me. They do often tell me - well what about... But they don't do it as much now, because I'm certain that open uni works for me.

Yeah I was almost forced into summer school, but I was like - during the summer I get a head start on my studies for the following year and want a relax from a long, hard year. It didn't appeal to me. I just don't think Oxbridge would appeal to me that much. I didn't attend their open day - I attended one just to look willing. I wanted to see whether normal uni was nice. And don't get me wrong it was an amazing place - the facilities were brilliant. But I didn't want to rack up debts for the sack of it's a nice place to learn. At the end of the day my heart wasn't in it. I knew after visiting that it would be lovely, and if the fees were less I'd go tomorrow, but I'm happy with my decision.

Cambridge and Oxford always seem to be much more centred around the arts compared with sciences. They're big on history, literature etc. Not really a place for science so much in my opinion. Imperial is really your place for science in the UK I'd say.
Yeah i think so too! Well at least you have some support, better than none haha! Of course they just want you to keep your options open i guess. Plus maybe they're just informing you of the others so they can be your safety nets! You'll always need one of those but i doubt you'll actually have to go to one of them! Well thats good, they understand the open uni is the place you'd like to be!

Thats exactly what I do during the summer! I have quite a bit of work to get on with this summer esp since its year 13 his september. Same! Their facilities are amazing but the thing is like you nothing appealed to me, you can get just as good a facility in other uni's maybe not all of them though. Haha i don't really mind the fees for Oxford its just i couldn't really see myself studying there! It isn't for me at all it doesn't appeal to me in anyway! Plus they don't do forensic chemistry and i know chem is my 2nd choice but i'd like to get my first
Yeah same my heart isn't set on it either. Also science isn't exactly their specialty no matter how awesome their facilities and labs are! The ones in Tokyo and Australia are way better.

Yeah they're quite artsy uni's english lit and all that. i thin if i were to study english lit or modern languages then i'd definitely be up for studying there- actually no i prefer cambridge! Shame they only do a Natsci though. I don't really want to study in London but i agree imperial is pretty good...thing is for chemistry they're not so good. IMO They didn't even turn up to the RSC uni meet!
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah i think so too! Well at least you have some support, better than none haha! Of course they just want you to keep your options open i guess. Plus maybe they're just informing you of the others so they can be your safety nets! You'll always need one of those but i doubt you'll actually have to go to one of them! Well thats good, they understand the open uni is the place you'd like to be!

Thats exactly what I do during the summer! I have quite a bit of work to get on with this summer esp since its year 13 his september. Same! Their facilities are amazing but the thing is like you nothing appealed to me, you can get just as good a facility in other uni's maybe not all of them though. Haha i don't really mind the fees for Oxford its just i couldn't really see myself studying there! It isn't for me at all it doesn't appeal to me in anyway! Plus they don't do forensic chemistry and i know chem is my 2nd choice but i'd like to get my first
Yeah same my heart isn't set on it either. Also science isn't exactly their specialty no matter how awesome their facilities and labs are! The ones in Tokyo and Australia are way better.

Yeah they're quite artsy uni's english lit and all that. i thin if i were to study english lit or modern languages then i'd definitely be up for studying there- actually no i prefer cambridge! Shame they only do a Natsci though. I don't really want to study in London but i agree imperial is pretty good...thing is for chemistry they're not so good. IMO They didn't even turn up to the RSC uni meet!
Yeah I have a couple of ideas up my sleeve for if I don't get my first plan, but I dislike them compared to my idea of open uni.

Yeah I have lots and lots of work. Yesterday was the only day I didn't do work. I was out most of the day, so I just did some maths. But I have so much to do. I have to try to complete my extended project in the 6 weeks, but there's so much to do and I only just got the info for it so I'm already a week down. I'm planning on like 1 and a 1/2 hours a day for it. I have to first go through everything I've done, and write a list of what I have left to do. I'm glad edexcel put exemplars on their site for me to use. But Tokyo and Australia sound much better than the UK - just for the experience you'll get along with the fact that it will probably be the best 3 years of your life.

Wow really. Imperial are very much a physics, maths and engineering place. They don't even offer a full biology course - only biochem. But I'd prefer Cambridge to Oxford too, although Oxford won the rowing this year I think.
lucine.B
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah I have a couple of ideas up my sleeve for if I don't get my first plan, but I dislike them compared to my idea of open uni.

Yeah I have lots and lots of work. Yesterday was the only day I didn't do work. I was out most of the day, so I just did some maths. But I have so much to do. I have to try to complete my extended project in the 6 weeks, but there's so much to do and I only just got the info for it so I'm already a week down. I'm planning on like 1 and a 1/2 hours a day for it. I have to first go through everything I've done, and write a list of what I have left to do. I'm glad edexcel put exemplars on their site for me to use. But Tokyo and Australia sound much better than the UK - just for the experience you'll get along with the fact that it will probably be the best 3 years of your life.

Wow really. Imperial are very much a physics, maths and engineering place. They don't even offer a full biology course - only biochem. But I'd prefer Cambridge to Oxford too, although Oxford won the rowing this year I think.
Oh great yeah same...i have a few safety nets just in case my plans don't work. Hopefully it won't come to this though. I'm the same, the back up choices are never as good.

Damn same! Aww i gta do my EPQ as well! hows yours coming along??? Hmm i'm trying to do 2-3 hours a night but i have a lot of research to analyze...
Same here my supervisor has helped me so bloody much!!! Can't thank him enough ahaha. Yeah they really do haha. I do hope so! i want it to be the years of my life (so good that it'll be better than my gap year!

Yeah exactly! They're not a chemistry uni...i wouldn't want to study in London anyways i already live here so...that's a no no haha.
Cambridge is awesome!!! Ahh well i don't care haha i'm a rower and it don' mean much to me Cambridge will always come out on top for me
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh great yeah same...i have a few safety nets just in case my plans don't work. Hopefully it won't come to this though. I'm the same, the back up choices are never as good.

Damn same! Aww i gta do my EPQ as well! hows yours coming along??? Hmm i'm trying to do 2-3 hours a night but i have a lot of research to analyze...
Same here my supervisor has helped me so bloody much!!! Can't thank him enough ahaha. Yeah they really do haha. I do hope so! i want it to be the years of my life (so good that it'll be better than my gap year!

Yeah exactly! They're not a chemistry uni...i wouldn't want to study in London anyways i already live here so...that's a no no haha.
Cambridge is awesome!!! Ahh well i don't care haha i'm a rower and it don' mean much to me Cambridge will always come out on top for me
I've already done my intro for my EPQ, along with most of the research. I've done almost all my secondary, and I think i've finished my primary - I just need to analyse it more. I am trying to get the research and intro finished by the end of this week, so I can focus on the analysis and evaluation section afterwards. I'm probably half way through it now. I do an hour a day for it, which I find is just enough for me. Though sometimes I spend a little extra time on it.

My teacher for EPQ is amazing. She's doing a phd herself, so she knows the process of research. Plus she's super clever!

I live close to London, so the transport would be quite easy. But I'd rather not pay the £4000 a year train fees on top of the tuition fees. I enjoy indoor rowing, and I love watching the race. I really wanted Oxford to win though, even though I prefer Cambridge as a university. I think it's just more friendly.
lucine.B
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've already done my intro for my EPQ, along with most of the research. I've done almost all my secondary, and I think i've finished my primary - I just need to analyse it more. I am trying to get the research and intro finished by the end of this week, so I can focus on the analysis and evaluation section afterwards. I'm probably half way through it now. I do an hour a day for it, which I find is just enough for me. Though sometimes I spend a little extra time on it.

My teacher for EPQ is amazing. She's doing a phd herself, so she knows the process of research. Plus she's super clever!

I live close to London, so the transport would be quite easy. But I'd rather not pay the £4000 a year train fees on top of the tuition fees. I enjoy indoor rowing, and I love watching the race. I really wanted Oxford to win though, even though I prefer Cambridge as a university. I think it's just more friendly.
Oh awesome same!!! I've done my first draft of my simple one i just need to reevaluate my research and just keep redrafting and all that. Okay great! yeah i've yet to analyse my primary research...nope evaluate it actually no kind of done that i dunno haha
Yeah only do as much as you can but don't tire yourself out just do as much as your comfortable with Seems to me that you've go it under control and you're doing well

Wow thats fantastic. My supervisor is just great and he has so much enthusiasm thats its really encouraging me hehe.

Whaaaaaat?!! Four grand bloody hell! I do both indoor and on water. Haha well they are pretty good! Don't think I minded too much it was a great race even though it was raining haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (6)
16.67%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (17)
47.22%
Nope, not that interesting (13)
36.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise