Turn on thread page Beta

White British guilt/pride poll watch

• View Poll Results: Should white Brits feel guilty/proud or not bothered by their ancestors actions?
    Guilty
    5.48%
    Proud
    41.10%
    Not bothered/irrelevant to me
    53.42%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    Why just white people? Why not blacks and Asians too?
    Because white Brits were dominant in british politics and economics up till 1970's ish so surely they were the main kingpins in the history of Britain

you can answer the poll if you want its a free country, but this poll is addressing the phenomenon of "white guilt" hence why I directed it at white Brits

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite proud of what the British Empire managed. If you think about it, for a country as small as ours to control 1/4 of the entire world - It was certainly an achievement. Nations much larger than ours had built their own empires but never managed it on the scale Britain did.

ReputationRep:
    Why should I be proud or guilty? Being white isn't something I earned or chose. It's not as if I worked very hard to become white and it's not as if slavery was my fault. I was born white simply because my parents were. You should only feel proud or guilty because of your own choices and achievements, not because you born with the same skin colour as Alexander the Great or Isaac Newton

I feel proud of the good things we did. It makes me furious when people say we should be guilty of what our ancestors did :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andyrobbo1994)
    Because white Brits were dominant in british politics and economics up till 1970's ish so surely they were the main kingpins in the history of Britain

you can answer the poll if you want its a free country, but this poll is addressing the phenomenon of "white guilt" hence why I directed it at white Brits
    So are Chinese Asians going to be feeling guilty for being dominant or any of these other non-white countries which are coincidentally all not 'diverse' whereas white countries 'need to be'?

ReputationRep:
    So are Chinese Asians going to be feeling guilty for being dominant or any of these other non-white countries which are coincidentally all not 'diverse' whereas white countries 'need to be'?

What on earth are you on about?Im asking white brits whether they should feel guilty, proud or not bothered about what their white British ancestors did e.g. In regards to the empire and support for it

This thread doesnt really involve chinese asians or other white countries, as I'm asking white Brits the question.

ReputationRep:
    What on earth are you on about?Im asking white brits whether they should feel guilty, proud or not bothered about what their white British ancestors did e.g. In regards to the empire and support for it

This thread doesnt really involve chinese asians or other white countries, as I'm asking white Brits the question.
    It seems ridiculous and generic, much like blaming slavery on the British Empire or white people historically.

ReputationRep:
    Every nation in the world has things to be proud of and things to be ashamed of. It just so happens that some of our greatest achievements and greatest shames by modern standards happened much more recently than most. If other nations will be proud then we shall be proud, it's utter hypocrisy of many to pursue some sort of White/British-guilt agenda.

ReputationRep:
    It seems ridiculous and generic, much like blaming slavery on the British Empire or white people historically.

Fine great, we have the same opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Patriotism is fine, when it leads to xenophobia and racism that's when it becomes a problem. I know a lot of patriotic people who aren't racist orhold any predjudice against anyone whos different, like me for example
    xenophobia always gets tagged along with racism for some reason.

xenophobia isn't the same thing as racism, xenophobia isn't based on race.

EVERYONE holds some sort of prejudice towards a particular group.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.