Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeamaehus)
    I'm looking to apply to Cardiff University to study law this autumn, reading into their entry requirements (AAA-AAB) it says they require 2 traditional subjects?

What is classed as a traditional subject?

I'm studying law, French and psychology.

Many thanks,
    Jess
    French and Psychology will probably be classed as "traditional".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLordSamuel)
    Maths, sciences, geography, history, english lit, and languages are all recognised as being traditional A level subjects. Ones such as religious studies, sociology, ICT subjects, business and suchlike are not. French is definitely a traditional subject, but I'm not sure if psychology is. I'm sure you can check on uni websites as to exactly what they mean by 'traditional subjects' though!
    How is religious studies not a traditional subject? It is one of the oldest and most respected subjects in the university curriculum...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainingshame)
    French and Psychology will probably be classed as "traditional".
    French is certainly traditional but I doubt Psychology is. Trinity for example list it under 'list B' which is of less suitability.

Source: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppet Science)
    French is certainly traditional but I doubt Psychology is. Trinity for example list it under 'list B' which is of less suitability.

Source: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
    It's Cardiff. Trinity are rather extreme, even for Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Yup this is one of the eccentricities of our A-level system, where studying law A-level could actually hinder your chances of getting a place!

I would say that Psychology is the true goose egg though, if you replaced that with English Lit or History you are getting towards the prototypical law combination.

ReputationRep:
    Law is fine as long as you're doing a law degree- certain 'blacklist' subjects are fine as long as they're relevant to the degree. I would email/call up the uni you're interested in to double check! or have a look at the entry requirements on their site.

Also subjects Trinity dislike might not even apply to your uni...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Burty123)
    I tried to put in the message that this was the blacklist but I couldnt for some reason :/ So I posted it in my next message yet still get negged :/ Oh well, thats the price for trying to help...
    Sorry, all of us here didnt know you were intending to say them subjects are blacklisted - our apologies.
    I tried giving you positive rep, but it wont let me because i've been giving out too much today - i will do it tomorrow.

I immediately recognised the list when i saw it, is it from the cambridge website?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity_4652)
    Sorry, all of us here didnt know you were intending to say them subjects are blacklisted - our apologies.
    I tried giving you positive rep, but it wont let me because i've been giving out too much today - i will do it tomorrow.

I immediately recognised the list when i saw it, is it from the cambridge website?
    Yeah mate I understand why, it did look like I was a troll This was posted on TSR as Cambridges 2008 blacklist and I saw it on a site too so think it's fairly true

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainingshame)
    It's Cardiff. Trinity are rather extreme, even for Cambridge.
    Still a good indicator of what constitutes a traditional subject, even if Cardiff are more likely to be lenient than Trinity.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah mate I understand why, it did look like I was a troll This was posted on TSR as Cambridges 2008 blacklist and I saw it on a site too so think it's fairly true
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do we have an updated blacklist? Or does it remain the same every year?

ReputationRep:
    Listen

You'll be fine with Law and Psychology. Cardiff are willing to accept you even if you have 1 traditional subject.

I received a conditional offer of ABB for Law and my A-levels consisted of Law, History and Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity_4652)
    Do we have an updated blacklist? Or does it remain the same every year?
    This is all I can find in terms of subjects :/
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Respected_A_Levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is all I can find in terms of subjects :/
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Respected_A_Levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Out of interest, what subjects have you chosen?

ReputationRep:
    You'll absolutely be fine with psychology and french as your traditional subjects! My friend took psychology, media and english language and got in fine and he needed 2 traditional subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weevilface)
    Religious Studies is considered traditional and definitely not soft! It requires analytical skills, critical thinking, logic and good essay writing skills.
    Ahaahhahahha, great joke pal

ReputationRep:
    Maths, sciences, geography, history, english lit, and languages are all recognised as being traditional A level subjects. Ones such as religious studies, sociology, ICT subjects, business and suchlike are not. French is definitely a traditional subject, but I'm not sure if psychology is. I'm sure you can check on uni websites as to exactly what they mean by 'traditional subjects' though!
    RS is definitely traditional. But yes, websites have the list of subjects - e.g., Oxbridge probably do.

ReputationRep:
    Ahaahhahahha, great joke pal
    Not a joke, buddy. :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    Your Alevel choices sound completely fine! Don't worry

ReputationRep:
    Probably they had in mind something like the rg facilitating subjects as per the informed choices leaflet...
    But I'd ring the actual uni and speak to someone in the dept rather than taking anyone's word on a forum that 'all good law departments hate the law A level' tho'

although it's a pretty poor time of year to be ringing up unis right now as they're all rammed with clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Probably they had in mind something like the rg facilitating subjects as per the informed choices leaflet...
    But I'd ring the actual uni and speak to someone in the dept rather than taking anyone's word on a forum that 'all good law departments hate the law A level' tho'

although it's a pretty poor time of year to be ringing up unis right now as they're all rammed with clearing.
    I was also looking at Cardiff for law, I am currently studying Sociology, psychology and religious studies and having being concerned with the "traditional" part of the offer I emailed the admission team and they confirmed that all three will be accepted.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.