The Student Room Group

Clinical psychologist, joint honours or straight psychology degree?

Scroll to see replies

it might have been worth checking if you could just choose modules as options from sociology courses, I have a straight psychology degree but took a lot of sociology and politics modules - which I personally think (as someone hoping to head towards clinical psych) that the combination of modules I took has allowed me a much more rounded and comprehensive understanding than a straight psychology course would have, I have studied clinical psych in a very critical way, human rights, social issues and mental health etc which may be covered by some courses but weren't by mine, they also helped me think in a slightly different way, I think when you come to apply for jobs/courses what you need to be able to do is make things sound good, if you can justify why sociology helped your career and personal development then you could potentially use it as something to make you different, but it is likely to be somethign you're asked about (as it does imply a lack of commitment) so you need to think about it and try and take more relevant modules
Reply 21
Original post by nko
I have completed a joint course in Psychology and Sociology- I graduated with hons and BPS accredited.
The Uni organises the joint course so you are a group in your selves- ie. you have tutors overseeing the timetables, exams, advice so clashes would not be an issue. It is hard work as you have to do all of the compulsary modules for psych and then the sociology modules on top- for this reason my uni would not only consider applications from the joint course but recognise the hard work that goes into the joint degree. I loved doing a joint degree and found many helpful overlaps in modules. If it is what you are interested in then go for it, just make sure it is BPS accredited.

Guess that this is Aston?
This just did not happen where I was - sadly for those who took it! They had a grim time!!
Even if it is the same uni - I would still check as stuff changes over time - even from one year to next!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
But even if I start my joint honours and do something after university to do with psychology should that improve my chances? Pla I get a placement year I'd still be able to do that in clinical psychology?

Have you considered asking the university in question about how many of their graduates (who wanted to) were able to get onto a clinical psychology doctorate? Also could you ask to possibly speak to anyone from the alumni organisation about their experiences in the job market afterwards?
Reply 23
Original post by Lord Asriel
Have you considered asking the university in question about how many of their graduates (who wanted to) were able to get onto a clinical psychology doctorate? Also could you ask to possibly speak to anyone from the alumni organisation about their experiences in the job market afterwards?

Sound advice from Lord A!

These figures should be very available to them as it usually is a tiny proportion who 1. go into professional psychology overall. 2 continue to clinical psych doctorate.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Just to say, been working as a clinical psychologist for six years and I did a joint honours BSc. in psychology and sociology (4yr sandwich with clinical placements).

I used to worry that not doing straight honours was a bad idea. It didn't make a difference in my experience. I learned that the final degree classification and GBR were the only important things.

Quick Reply

Latest