Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you lose a limb to save someone's life? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What would you be willing to give up?
    Finger / toe
    68.42%
    Hand / foot
    23.68%
    Arm
    13.16%
    Leg
    23.68%
    2 limbs
    7.89%
    3 limbs
    5.26%
    4 limbs
    5.26%
    Your life
    13.16%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mockery)
    Nothing that I can't regenerate.
    A hand, then? :cool:

Name:  2625408649_1214214fa8.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  81.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    I wouldn't. The world is rather overpopulated as it stands.
    Out of curiosity are you a sociopath? If you're being sincere it seems very cold and heartless that you wouldn't even try to help a drowning child. However, if you possess sociopathic traits then your inaction would make sense since sociopaths lack a conscience.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'd give a limb, but I'd give a finger/toe and possibly a hand/foot.

(Original post by chazwomaq)
      From Singer's The Life You Can Save:

'Suppose that on your way to work you see a toddler flailing about in a pond. There is no one besides you around to help. If you don’t act to save the child, he will probably drown. However, saving him means ruining your new shoes, muddying your clothes, and making yourself late for work. “What should you do?”'

Most people asked this confidently state that they would and should save the child. Even a complete stranger...
      It's hardly comparable to losing a limb.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TWATG)
      Out of curiosity are you a sociopath? If you're being sincere it seems very cold and heartless that you wouldn't even try to help a drowning child. However, if you possess sociopathic traits then your inaction would make sense since sociopaths lack a conscience.
      I haven't been 'tested' or something, if that's what you're asking.

I think that would the be rational option - I don't make many decisions according to emotions, and certainly wouldn't make a decision about someone I didn't even know according to emotions.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      It's hardly comparable to losing a limb.
      I agree, but I was responding the poster who said he would give nothing for a stranger.
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      If I were put in such a position, I would probably resent it, but the thought that I could have saved them and didn't would be on my conscience for the rest of my life, so I would agree to it. On the positive side, it would be a nice feeling that even though they'll never know, I've saved someone.

I think I'd go as far as a leg. Giving up multiple limbs would make me very dependent on others, which would affect their lives in a negative manner. Of course, if I could get away with less, I would!

If it were someone really close to me, I'd give up my life to save them. If it were a whole group of strangers, I don't know, I might... depends on the circumstances.

Nothing.
        I do not know them. For all I know they could be horrible.

ReputationRep:
        Id give whatever it takes...better than a lifetime of regret

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Chordata)
        Nothing at all for a complete stranger (as in the question), life for a close friend / large number of unknown people.

Is it odd that I am far more scared of losing limbs than dying? :curious:

Death doesn't scare me too much - it's just nothingness - I will have ceased to be!
        On the other hand, living my life knowing that there would be things that I couldn't do would get to me, even if prostheses do manage to fully interact with the nervous system some time in the future.
        Are you sure about that? Do you accept the possibility you could be wrong?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by cartman)
        Are you sure about that? Do you accept the possibility you could be wrong?
        While there is a possibility that I might be wrong, and I accept that, I am comfortable that that possibility is small enough to be negligible. You can never eliminate risks, only reduce them.

ReputationRep:
        I feel it would be dishonest for me to say I would give up anything for the following reason:

I value my limbs highly. Even a finger I value at more than £10,000, which is not THAT much, but it is definately enough to save somebodies life if used properly. Infact, if used properly £1000 or even £100 could save a life by providing clean water, or a water filtration system, or vaccination against fatal disease. If I would be prepared to sacrafice part of me - even a finger - to save a life, I would also have to have been prepared to sacrafice things I value much less - like £1000 - in order to save them. Given that I have never given nearly that much away to save a person I cannot see myself giving away something I value more.

In the actual situation I may behave diffrently due to emotional responses, but I cannot know unless it happened. Really what is important to consider is if somebody asked you for £10,000 to save a life would you give it? And if yes, why have you not done so already?

ReputationRep:
        Depends if it was someone i really really cared about id probably just kill myself and then let the doctors ravage my body :L i hate the thought of seeing being broken Like when buzz pulls his stickers off in toy story and when woody rips his stitches ((((

ReputationRep:
        I would give my life for my child, and also my family.

Everyone one else just gets what ever limb I can spare I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
        Fingers starting to ache while I hold my phone

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.