Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    Yeah I saw a study that came to that conclusion, can't remember what the figure was but it was over 20% more bioavailable.
    I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere once that protein denaturation makes it more efficient to digest but that may very well be BS...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apocrypha)
    Lol me too, everything i eat is organic including free range eggs.

Cant trust the chemicals they put in to preserve food.
    Yet you are eating raw eggs because you can't be bothered to wake up a few minutes earlier to cook them? Nice priorities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yepyepyep)
    I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere once that protein denaturation makes it more efficient to digest but that may very well be BS...
    Denatured protein is digested quicker but I don't know if that means more is digested. Plausible though.

ReputationRep:
    Denatured protein is digested quicker but I don't know if that means more is digested. Plausible though.
    Interesting.:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yepyepyep)

Thinking about it from a molecular point of view, it would make sense if it was digested faster (the protein chains are not folded up in a compact way when denatured, so easier for enzymes to get at them to break them down), and as nothing in the body is 100% efficient, I'd expect faster digestion to lead to more complete digestion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    Thinking about it from a molecular point of view, it would make sense if it was digested faster (the protein chains are not folded up in a compact way when denatured, so easier for enzymes to get at them to break them down), and as nothing in the body is 100% efficient, I'd expect faster digestion to lead to more complete digestion.
    I like your thinking. Thanks for the explanation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.