Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want to live in Nottingham but my advice is to do what you think will make you happy. If you are scared that you will always wonder "what if" and/or place some mythical importance on "Oxbridge" then maybe you should take a year and reapply. Only you know what you want deep down just make sure you do something with your year if you do decide to reapply.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    if you're confident in your PS and interview abilities, take a year out and reapply

ReputationRep:
    1 thing, Oxbridge hate gap years unless you do something productive in them.

ReputationRep:
    evens he will give in and go Notts.

Anyone want to bet ?

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moya)
    1 thing, Oxbridge hate gap years unless you do something productive in them.
    Source please o/w someone might accuse you of false info due to jealousy ?

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely take a gap year and reapply, I wouldn't be able to excel at a University knowing I could be somewhere better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandem2k11)
    problem is i got expelled from school, so i cant get a reference if i reapply or any training for interviews

man this is so difficult! Also do LSE/Oxbridge etc take GCSE's highely into account? didnt do that good in them, mostly A's but still
    What did you get expelled for? (You don't have to say, but it might make a difference).

To be honest, getting expelled and still getting such amazing grades is pretty impressive - I don't think it would necessarily put Oxford off (unless you stabbed someone or something). However, Oxford rejects 10,000 straight A students per year, so unless you have other things going for you (good interview personality / good at entrance tests / external competitions), it's obviously a massive risk, particularly for PPE. Nonetheless, it's perfectly possible.

However, if you don't want Nottingham I would reapply next year rather than through adjustment, because you have time to think about it. I wouldn't say that for maths, but there are a lot of things you can do with a year out for politics, and you can go to university just that bit older and more confident. I'd say go for the best universities you can.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'll get much better in adjustment. So i'd say either stick with Notts, or take a gap year and then reapply for a university you consider to be better. Oxbridge take all your grades, inc GCSEs into consideration. And you still have to perform well at interview too. You may/may not get in- its a risk you'd have to take. But I guess you prob have not much to lose in taking a gap year, as you wouldn't end up with worse than Notts even it you applied again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenomorph)
    Insider info

ReputationRep:
    if that's the case then he would be just as well off at ANY university.

Me thinks that is bogus and maybe you have an agenda.

he can just keep his expulsion mum and all will be well.

Are you jealous of his grades and trying to pull him down to your level ?

Trix465 is correct, I have just recently been on work experience with Mechanical engineers and I was talking about which university I should go to and do they care about where I go if I was to look for a job.

There exact words were "Nobody in here gives a **** about where you went to university all they care is how good you are at it and what experience you have gained."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FizzicsGuy)
    Trix465 is correct, I have just recently been on work experience with Mechanical engineers and I was talking about which university I should go to and do they care about where I go if I was to look for a job.

There exact words were "Nobody in here gives a **** about where you went to university all they care is how good you are at it and what experience you have gained."
    this is a politics degree, he needs all the prestige he can get before venturing out into the abysmal world of grad schemes

it is not comparable to engineering

ReputationRep:
    Me and my friend got the exact same results, for the same subject. I did an extra a-level in my gap year. I believe his personal statement was better than mine, but I got an interview for Oxford and he didn't. They asked me loads of questions about the extra course I was doing and what independent reading I was doing in my year out.

Nottingham is a great uni, please stop talking crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moya)
    Insider info
    in other words BS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FizzicsGuy)

Then why don't you quit your course and go to TVU ?

ReputationRep:
    Durham seems to be available through clearing - I think for politics? If that is somewhere you'd consider?

I took a gap year after being in a similar position - best decision ever! Don't look back in 20 years and regret not taking one extra year to go somewhere you really want to go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenbowes)
    Me and my friend got the exact same results, for the same subject. I did an extra a-level in my gap year. I believe his personal statement was better than mine, but I got an interview for Oxford and he didn't. They asked me loads of questions about the extra course I was doing and what independent reading I was doing in my year out.

Nottingham is a great uni, please stop talking crap.

It's an OK uni. A great place is not ranked outside the top 20. Stop hyping your own uni which you don't even like and stop talking like a troller:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ables/rankings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dursty)
    I'd definitely take a gap year and reapply, I wouldn't be able to excel at a University knowing I could be somewhere better.
    yea hthats what getting to me! Just feels like the grades would be almost wasted , i love nottingham though but the amount of doors LSE/Oxford opens sounds incredible

(Original post by Octohedral)
    What did you get expelled for? (You don't have to say, but it might make a difference).

To be honest, getting expelled and still getting such amazing grades is pretty impressive - I don't think it would necessarily put Oxford off (unless you stabbed someone or something). However, Oxford rejects 10,000 straight A students per year, so unless you have other things going for you (good interview personality / good at entrance tests / external competitions), it's obviously a massive risk, particularly for PPE. Nonetheless, it's perfectly possible.

However, if you don't want Nottingham I would reapply next year rather than through adjustment, because you have time to think about it. I wouldn't say that for maths, but there are a lot of things you can do with a year out for politics, and you can go to university just that bit older and more confident. I'd say go for the best universities you can.

And yeah im trying t oget through to durham, although i do love nottingham due to the campus+nightlife
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I needed AAB for Mech Eng offer in Nottingham. I got 4A* 1A. I still went to Nottingham and never regretted it. Its a fantastic university and I've never been happier.

PS: Well done!!

EDIT: Just to add in. I've seen you've mentioned Oxford/ Camb/LSE quite a few times. I too had the same feelings- that I deserve to be there. But now I feel it was the best decision to go to Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge don't like gap years unless you do something like year in industry/work exp etc.

Sources are info from an open day and also an article I read where the admissions tutor said "if he's had his feet up on a beach for a year he's getting rejected" (4 A*'s applying for medicine).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.