Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Out of Curiosity is this for Economics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamsuperjai)
    I phoned the econ department, the admission (team D) gave me the direct number for it. I spoke to this guy from the department and he took my UCAS number. He said that he'd make a note on my application about reconsidering my application and hold the my place for me until I get my remarked back. I also asked him about the grades and said if I get AAB then they would definitely take me but he didnt give me a definite answer when I asked him if I get ABB; he just said they would reconsider.

Now Im really worried that if I do get ABB then they might still reject me. But if they said they would hold my place then surely they can take me, right? What do think?

I've got an unconditional offer from City but I dont really wanna go there but I guess if QMUL refuses me then I wont really have a choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah definitely don't lose hope yet if they put a note on your account, they can take unlimited ABB students across the uni so there's a good chance they'll let you in- they still have places available on other courses in the uni after all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Out of Curiosity is this for Economics?
    Yup, for Economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreayshawn)
    Yeah definitely don't lose hope yet if they put a note on your account, they can take unlimited ABB students across the uni so there's a good chance they'll let you in- they still have other places available in the uni still after all
    Really really hoping that they will take me! *fingers crossed* So glad I phoned the econ department though because when I spoke to one of the admissions people (a woman from Team D as well). She said they would hold my place but didnt take any of my details. So I phoned again and spoke to a different person who gave me the direct number for econ dept. Phew! There is still hope!

Was today the first time you phoned QMUL or did you phone them yesterday as well?

Have you decided whether to go to City or Reading yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really really hoping that they will take me! *fingers crossed* So glad I phoned the econ department though because when I spoke to one of the admissions people (a woman from Team D as well). She said they would hold my place but didnt take any of my details. So I phoned again and spoke to a different person who gave me the direct number for econ dept. Phew! There is still hope!

Was today the first time you phoned QMUL or did you phone them yesterday as well?

Have you decided whether to go to City or Reading yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I phoned immediately after my results to see if I could get another course, the guy explicitly said he can't hold a place and I got the same guy the next day when I called the econ dept so I didn't ask him again- he just said they were completely full and out of clearing

I'm leaning heavily towards Reading- something about City feels very disjointed and unsociable to me but I might have no clue what I'm talking about, that's just the impression I get. And no campus is a big downside, but I guess all London unis are like that apart from QM. I think City might be slightly better for economics but I think I'd enjoy my time at Reading more, even though I was really looking forward to living I'm London. Accommodation is very expensive with City too

I might be going to City for their open day tomorrow and I'm visiting Reading on Sunday so I'll see. I'm quite happy with Reading though, I'm just glad I didn't do bad enough to have to scramble for a place through clearing because I was quite worried about that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreayshawn)
    I phoned immediately after my results to see if I could get another course, they offered me maths/stats/financial econ and some other joint subjects like that but I decided to stick with economics so I didn't take them up on it, the guy explicitly said he can't hold a place and I got the same guy the next day when I called the econ dept so I didn't ask him again- he just said they were completely full and out of clearing

I'm leaning heavily towards Reading- something about City feels very disjointed and unsociable to me but I might have no clue what I'm talking about, that's just the impression I get. And no campus is a big downside, but I guess all London unis are like that apart from QM. I think City might be slightly better for economics but I think I'd enjoy my time at Reading more, even though I was really looking forward to living I'm London. Accommodation is very expensive with City too

I might be going to City for their open day tomorrow and I'm visiting reading on Sunday so I'll see. I'm quite happy with reading though, I'm just glad I didn't do bad enough to have to scramble for a place through clearing because I was quite worried about that
    I should have asked them if I could get another course actually. Damn the thought didnt even enter my mind. When you did did they say they'd accept you with your grades? What grades did you get btw? Who did you speak to? I spoke to this guy called Anthony. Do you reckon they still have any available joint courses they can offer me with my ABC grades, anything connected to econ/maths?

I've never visited City actually but the thing I like about the econ course is you can choose either to have a placement year or not. With todays job economy and all that, I think getting an experience early would be helpful.

I get what you mean. At least we didnt have to go through clearing, that would have been a lot worse. But still I was so excited about going to QMUL that when I found out I didnt get in I was truly devastated. Sounds very dramatic but it was true.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    City is a decent place - you should be happy.

I got ABCa instead of the AAB requirement for GG41 but fortunately QMUL called me since they had vacancies and I got offered G400 instead, which I was happy to take, despite wanting badly to get into King's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzypod)
    City is a decent place - you should be happy.

I got ABCa instead of the AAB requirement for GG41 but fortunately QMUL called me since they had vacancies and I got offered G400 instead, which I was happy to take, despite wanting badly to get into King's.
    Wow lucky you! Wish Queen Mary also phoned me to offer me a course related to economics but I guess Econ is too popular for them to do that. Did the uni immediately phone before changing their decision on track?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow lucky you! Wish Queen Mary also phoned me to offer me a course related to economics but I guess Econ is too popular for them to do that. Did the uni immediately phone before changing their decision on track?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Actually they didn't update their decision in track, so I couldn't enter clearing. My first choice was King's and I didn't want to mess up my phone call to them, so for a quick experience I called up Queen Mary first and inquired about getting into GG41 since it was in clearing. Later on I got a call from Carly Wheeler saying my ID wasn't working, and tell her the correct ID. I kind of got stuck but my ID was correct and UCAS confirmed it but a few hours later I realised that I wasn't IN clearing because they hadn't actually rejected my original offer yet!

Before I could get back to them I got another call from Carly saying that I was on a shortlist for them to call and offer another course because they lowered the tariff of G400 to 300 UCAS points. So rather than them rejecting my offer of GG41 and me applying through clearing, they changed the offer to unconditional for G400 so all I had to do was confirm my place.

I then gained some confidence and called King's. I explained to them over the phone that although I didn't get AAB I did get AB in maths, further maths and I got an A in AS computing, and under my circumstances I only found out in mid-february 2013 that computing A2 was not available for private candidates so I had to take another subject (I lied about this additional subject being Physics - I actually took on Further Maths at this point and I had to dedicate all my time to it so I didn't study for Physics A2 and ended up with a C in physics). I then asked them to consider my AS Computing grade A + my portfolio (I have several websites online) as the third A level instead of Physics grade C. The first lady on the phone said she was not qualified to make that decision so she passed me on to someone else, who then passed me on to a guy from Informatics. I was surprised he actually considered me and searched for a Computing place - but no surprise they were all gone! TO MY SHOCK HE OFFERED ME BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING. Now, I wanted King's badly, but I wasn't about to do a course I knew nothing about just for the sake of getting in. So I had to decline it and be happy about QMUL.

The reason I told you all this was because, if you have a case, they DO consider you individually - not as some statistic as it would seem or as some other universities *cough* do. But also, don't go there just for the sake of the university and do a course you will dread for 3-4 years!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.