Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I wasn't truthful and now I regret it, please help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Universities will definitely not regard plagiarism as a white lie. It's pretty much the worst crime you can commit in academia. They will find out and that will be the end of his academic career anywhere. They threw him out before, as you can see. An honest admission is his best course.
    It's a white lie anywhere except academia. That's good enough for me.

Times are tough and people like him should try to help themselves, not make things harder.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the chances of anyone finding out about him is close to nil as long as he doesn't go on to become a Prof or something in the future.

I guarantee you that he will lose his place if he confesses. It might be the best choice in a perfect world but we clearly dont live in one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zilch)
    It's a white lie anywhere except academia. That's good enough for me.

Times are tough and people like him should try to help themselves, not make things harder.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the chances of anyone finding out about him is close to nil as long as he doesn't go on to become a Prof or something in the future.

I guarantee you that he will lose his place if he confesses. It might be the best choice in a perfect world but we clearly dont live in one.
    We must agree to differ then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    We must agree to differ then.
    The guy above is right though, as long as he doesn't go on to do a PHD and then become a lecturer at Oxford or something then his chances of being caught are close to zero.

After his graduation he'll just be another worker like the rest of millions of people, case won and closed.

ReputationRep:
    You could just stop lying in your life full stop. You'd have thought you'd have learned your lesson after your plagiarism incident, but apparently not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolStoryBroo)
    The guy above is right though, as long as he doesn't go on to do a PHD and then become a lecturer at Oxford or something then his chances of being caught are close to zero.

After his graduation he'll just be another worker like the rest of millions of people, case won and closed.
    I will have to agree to differ with you too, then, but more to the point is look at the state of mind OP is in. He clearly isn't happy with this course of action and it is making him suffer. The only way to put a stop to it is to confess. Since we can't agree on the moral issue involved here, the simple pragmatics of the situation take over. He has posted on here because his conscience is making him miserable. There's only one route out of that dilemma and he knows what it is.

ReputationRep:
    You would be an idiot to tell them. If they didn't require any documentation to prove it, they won't ask for it in the future. If you have a bad conscience, just tell your parents or something, don't ruin your prospects.

ReputationRep:
    How can you let 'feelings' ruin your future? - Not saying that having a degree will automatically make you a success but it sure will make the rest of your life a lot easier. You've already been punished by getting kicked out of your previous school so there's nothing to feel guilty about now.
    If you decide to tell your uni an unnecessary piece of information you'll probably look back on it in a year year time when you're thinking clearly and regret it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueman3)
    Hi there, Here is my situation and I would appreciate any pragmatic advice or useful perspectives. The last two years I have been at a higher education institution in the states, pursuing a NCAA basketball career. Things didn't work out and the bottom line is that I ended up getting kicked out for plagiarism this May. Obviously not a great place to be but luckily being a Brit and having good A levels (A*,A,B), I decided to apply late through UCAS. The only thing is that in the heat of the moment I decided to lie on personal statement and excluded the fact that I had already been in university abroad for the last two years saying instead that I had been working. This is an undeniable dishonest comment which I knowingly wrote. I ended receiving an unconditional offer for my first choice university which I was obviously extremely lucky given the circumstances. But now I really wish I had given the full truth from the beginning. Firstly because, the idea of starting from scratch after working so hard for 2 years, despite making some silly mistakes during that time, makes me feel ill and secondly because I don't want to feel like I'm living a lie when I go out there. Do you think there is any chance that my university will forgive my lack of honesty if I come clean now? I know that they have the right to kick me off the course if they find out something wasn't true on my application. Should I take that risk? Is it even worth it, since I'm not sure if they will even accept what I had during my time in the states to allow me to go straight into the 2nd year. My ideal outcome would be to start in the second year of my course. Looking at the course modules and comparing them to the modules I have completed already, I know that I have a solid enough foundation to do so. But is this too much to ask given how I screwed up and should I just be happy to be going to a top uni and keep my mouth shut? The thing is that I don't want to think of the last two years as a waste and sweep it under the rug as it never happened. If I ended up getting kicked off the course, do you think any other university will look at me during clearing? Really would appreciate any comments, thank you
    Nobody can really tell you what to do, it really only depends on your personal values. If it was me I would keep my mouth shut and hope they don't find out (which they probably won't) because I feel very comfortable lying and won't have any residual feelings of guilt. If you think you will feel very guilty, you should probably come clean and hope they don't kick you off the course.

ReputationRep:
    Basically if you feel it was wrong then confess because the guilt will eat you up. It will come out to your friends, etc. because you won't be able to keep quiet about it.

If you feel you made the right choice for your future then don't confess because I don't see how they'll track down that you went to another uni in the states previously (they're hardly going to check). No one would find out: this stuff only comes out if you go into serious academia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chriswhjay)
    If you got in, I would literally accept the fact you got in and be happy about it. Dont risk yourself getting slung off a course, because put it this way. Assume they cancel your offer, will you feel worse than you already do now? Being without a uni place all together.
    Being without integrity is worse. Trust me.

(Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Don't tell them.
    If your username reflects your ambitions, you might want to think about how that advice sits with the professional integrity you will need as a lawyer.

(Original post by blueman3)
    Thank you for all the comments. Perhaps I could reach a middle ground, where I plead with my former university to not disclose the fact that I was dismissed for plagiarism. In that case I could just tell my current university that I left for personal reasons or something and sorry but I wasn't sure if I should mention it or not. Do you think at that point they would call up my former uni to ask for details. At which point the whole truth will come out and it would have just been better to tell them in the first place .
    It will be anyway.

(Original post by CoolStoryBroo)
    Don't be a fool, in 3 years time you'll have your degree from a good university.

You'll be happy that you got really good grades since you've already had a good foundation in the subject previously

Your university will be happy that you got good grades and therefore looks good on them

All these people that are chatting crap about morals and ethics have obviously been watching too much movies and are living in crazy land. Life ain't fair so if you see an opportunity like this you gotta grab it by the balls and come out with the best possible outcome.

As the guy above said, keep hustling cuz

You already got your punishment by getting kicked out, fair enough. Deciding to tell your uni something unnessary is just you being a whiny little b*tch who's just punishing himself for no reason
    Not so.

(Original post by WhatDoIWrite)
    This.

Ask yourself is it going to make you feel better if they take your place away?

We don't live in a world full of sunshine unicorns and daisies. Honesty doesn't pay the bills. You do what you have to in order to succeed.
    No, but it means you can sleep well at night and look yourself in the eye in the morning.

(Original post by Karen72)
    They will find out of that l can assure you and they'll find out before Xmas. If you don't tell them you will be kicked off the course and every other university in the UK will be notified. They will reference the other Uni in the States as to why you left and very fact it was for plagiarism will be noted on your files.

People on here telling you to just scam it and don't tell them anything, are wrong in every way and these are the people for once you do not want to listen too. You must stand up and face it. On top of that if and l mean "if" you managed to scam it got your degree of choice at some point in the future they will find out and your degree will be revoked which will mean where ever you work will also revoke your employment.

At some point the University you have applied too will find out.

Do the right thing or you will forever be looking over your shoulder every single day you go just waiting on them coming to you and kicking you off.
    Excellent post.

(Original post by Zilch)
    Just be quiet and dont tell anyone. It wont help anyone, especially you. What do you have to gain from this?

It's not hurting anyone and that's the important thing to remember. Live your life and dont stress yourself out.

White Lies are best kept as secrets.
    This is not exactly in the same league as saying "yes, of course you look wonderful in that dress, dear".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Don't tell them.
    wow i LOL'd irl.:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)

If your username reflects your ambitions, you might want to think about how that advice sits with the professional integrity you will need as a lawyer.

It will be anyway.

Not so.

No, but it means you can sleep well at night and look yourself in the eye in the morning.

Excellent post.

This is not exactly in the same league as saying "yes, of course you look wonderful in that dress, dear".
    Being a lawyer isn't about the truth - it's about giving the best advice and representation to your client. If you want to find the truth, be a detective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poolwizard)
    wow i LOL'd irl.:confused:
    I'm quite serious.

ReputationRep:

:lol: Lawyers never lie do they.

He would have a similar feeling of "what if I didn't" if he gets thrown off the course.

ReputationRep:

The alternative would be,

"Hey, I made a terrible mistake which I regret. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me since I had the decency to come forward? No? Well, ok then, I'll just apply again next year and let every uni know that I committed plagiarism. Wonder, Who's going to take me then? So much for morals eh?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatDoIWrite)
    :lol: Lawyers never lie do they.

He would have a similar feeling of "what if I didn't" if he gets thrown off the course.
    He might find that his offer this time round is rescinded, but that doesn't mean he won't get another in due course, having declared what happened and been open and honest about what he has learned from it all.

As carnationlilyrose has pointed out, the whole reason the OP started this thread in the first place is because he is uneasy about what he's done. That feeling will only get worse.

ReputationRep:
    Being honest in this situation isn't a good idea. You will more than likely get kicked off. They really don't check these things as much as they make out and I imagine it would be hard to find out you went to uni in a different country.

You now have the opportunity for a fresh start at a good Uni. Just do everything by the book this time. Starting in first year doesn't have to be a bad thing. You can pass well in all your modules and become even more prepared to do well in the next year and freshers is the most fun part.

All of you guys getting on your moral high horse. Who is he hurting in this scenario. If he won't plagiarise again and knows he made a mistake I don't see the issue.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely need to sleep on this one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i think in the end you'll tell them anyway, you cant live with yourself knowing you've lied by the looks of it. you might aswell come clean, and maybe they'll let you stay considering you have excellent grades ^_^ if not, there are plenty of courses out of uni that count as equivalents!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HashimKF)
    Being honest in this situation isn't a good idea. You will more than likely get kicked off. They really don't check these things as much as they make out and I imagine it would be hard to find out you went to uni in a different country.

You now have the opportunity for a fresh start at a good Uni. Just do everything by the book this time. Starting in first year doesn't have to be a bad thing. You can pass well in all your modules and become even more prepared to do well in the next year and freshers is the most fun part.

All of you guys getting on your moral high horse. Who is he hurting in this scenario. If he won't plagiarise again and knows he made a mistake I don't see the issue.
    From the OP, it is clearly himself, which was the point of his post.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.