Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have lived in Bristol for 7 years and am doing a PG degree at Bristol in September. Ture, the SU spaces are dated and some of the accommodation could do with a spurce up but the city, the people and most importantly, the teaching are fantastic. The facilities such as libraries, IT rooms and departmental facilities are amazing and teaching staff are brilliant. Good luck with which ever you decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    It's down the road from all the other uni buildings (you come to plenty of other shops, cafes and bars long before you reach the SU), and it's a slightly grim looking concrete building to boot.
    They should move the SU back to its original location in the Victoria Rooms. The music dept doesn't need all of that space for itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    They should move the SU back to its original location in the Victoria Rooms. The music dept doesn't need all of that space for itself.
    The Victoria Rooms :love:

It's been a very long time since it's been there though - I can't remember it being there, and I've been living in the area all my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i-love-coffee)
    How funny, I've just spent the whole morning debating the same thing. The unis are both fantastic and both part of the Russell Group so either way you will have good job prospects.

I personally think that those who pick unis over a couple spaces difference in the league tables are obsessing a little too much. I had offers from Bristol and Sheffield and chose Sheffield because the course suited me more, I like the atmosphere and Bristol just seemed a bit to small for me (I live in London).

Try not to obsess too much over 'reputation' when your already deciding between two fantastic universities where you will have good job prospects either way.
    My best friend lives near Bristol, and goes to Sheffield for uni, and she's always going on about how Bristol feels much bigger than sheffield, especially the city centre weird aha, total opposite to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    The Victoria Rooms :love:

It's been a very long time since it's been there though - I can't remember it being there, and I've been living in the area all my life.
    It has, but that's no reason not to re-locate. Far more central and, damnit, more befitting of a top RG uni. The current SU makes us look like some kind of, well, some kind of...former poly-technic :afraid: Quel Horreur!

ReputationRep:
    Okay, but most of the other people on this thread say the same as me about it not being near accommodation and there being more clubs and bars in Bristol that are used instead.

I think judging universities on their SU's isn't the best thing to do...

ReputationRep:
    Not fully, but it's certainly part of the picture, and the Victoria Rooms would be more appropriate location-wise and, yes, aesthetically. If I were considering Bristol again and were faced with second picture below as my potential student union rather than the first, it would up my estimations of Bristol as a whole.

The fact that there are better clubs and bars in Bristol doesn't make the SU redundant; SU's are not mere dispensers of alcohol. They're supposed to be the hub of the uni's clubs and societies and generally the student body. I read some posts on a Bristol uni alumnus page when the Victoria Rooms were still the SU, and really got the impression it was the heart of the whole university. Nowadays, with the SU a revolting concrete block lumped in a suburb, people are more content, as you say, to go to bars and clubs in the city, and, as a result, Bristol has completely lost the sense of community it once had, even being a city uni.

The current SU union is closer to some accomodation, further from others. The Victoria Rooms are closer to the main precinct and just a stroll down from the Wills building.

Seriously.

Attachment 237978 or Attachment 237979 :doh:

and how long ago was the SU in the Victoria Rooms?

P.s have you seen the second pm I sent you because the first had a major typo in....

ReputationRep:
    Not fully, but it's certainly part of the picture, and the Victoria Rooms would be more appropriate location-wise and, yes, aesthetically. If I were considering Bristol again and were faced with second picture below as my potential student union rather than the first, it would up my estimations of Bristol as a whole.

The fact that there are better clubs and bars in Bristol doesn't make the SU redundant; SU's are not mere dispensers of alcohol. They're supposed to be the hub of the uni's clubs and societies and generally the student body. I read some posts on a Bristol uni alumnus page when the Victoria Rooms were still the SU, and really got the impression it was the heart of the whole university. Nowadays, with the SU a revolting concrete block lumped in a suburb, people are more content, as you say, to go to bars and clubs in the city, and, as a result, Bristol has completely lost the sense of community it once had, even being a city uni.

The current SU union is closer to some accomodation, further from others. The Victoria Rooms are closer to the main precinct and just a stroll down from the Wills building.

Seriously.

Attachment 237978 or Attachment 237979 :doh:
    Thats exactly what I mean, I am not talking about nightlife when I talk about the SU. I feel the SU is where school spirit lies. I was also drawn to American Unis because of their school spirit. I feel Bristol is fragmented due to the lack of a functional student body. I font know if this is the case. Please let me know if Im wrong.

So just to confirm there are no significant prospect differences between the two Unis. Anyone with first hand experience on this issue please enlighten me as well. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Employees don't care if you went Sheffield or Bristol. They care about work experience, personality and grades. Reputation of the university, in most cases, rarely comes into it unless you got a PhD and scholarship at Oxford or something (you catch my drift...).

Pick what feels right for you and don't let anyone, including your parents, try and force you into a decision.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.