Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

discount for 'scantily clad girls' to stop them being attacked Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rational Thinker)
    Why don't we not make misandrist comments that put all the blame upon males? Females can commit sexual assault and only cannot commit rape because the UK justice system discriminates against males in the definition of rape. Not all rapists are male and not all rape victims are Female.
    I am fully aware of the fact that men are just as likely to get raped as women but on this thread we're talking about this ridiculous assumption that women dressed in revealing clothes are at more of a risk of getting raped than those who are more covered.

If they're so insistent on prioritising taxis for people, how about those who are too drunk to know what their doing and have lost their friends, surely they're more of a risk to get raped than some girl in some hot pants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaaaa)
    I totally agree that this is indirect victim blaming and it sends out the wrong message to young women. Why don't we start to teach boys and young men that a scantily clad women does not equal an easy lay?
    Not its not atall . Its trying to keep women safe .
    When i have a daughter i will always tell her to not walk around late at night by herself, am i a victim blamer ?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't we not make misandrist comments that put all the blame upon males? Females can commit sexual assault and only cannot commit rape because the UK justice system discriminates against males in the definition of rape. Not all rapists are male and not all rape victims are Female.

This thread is specifically about rape on women not males . Why would she bring up women raping men if its not about that ?

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree that this is indirect victim blaming and it sends out the wrong message to young women. Why don't we start to teach boys and young men that a scantily clad women does not equal an easy lay?
    Because women who have dressed scantily often do so to make themselves easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theoferdinand)
    When i have a daughter i will always tell her to not walk around late at night by herself, am i a victim blamer ?
    The possible victim-blaming isn't aimed at walking alone out at night, it's for dressing sluttily. Which I doubt any parent would condone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    Pathetic idea.
    That's right!

It's indirectly victim-blaming.
    Completely true!

And directly rewarding women for looking like sluts.
    aaaaand your whole post is ruined.

ReputationRep:
    Taxi drivers are already among the worst-hit for false accusations of sexual assault or rape from females they drive. Now they are being asked to charge less for the very demographic that causes them so much grief already!

What an insulting and ridiculous concept.

ReputationRep:
    But why single out women dressed in revealing clothes?

Surely anybody is at risk when they are wandering around late at night by themselves, especially when they are under the influence of alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c_al)
    Because women who have dressed scantily often do so to make themselves easy
    Well when I wear a short dress on a night out, it's because I like that dress and not because I want to appear available to men.
    I'm sure there's a small percentage of women that do dress provocatively to appear easy but most of us just want to look good and have a good time.

ReputationRep:

Surely anybody is at risk when they are wandering around late at night by themselves, especially when they are under the influence of alcohol.
    Exactly. Why not give concessions to weak looking men, as they're more likely to get robbed.

ReputationRep:
    What is this, I don't even....completely stupid idea.

Men are much more likely to be the victims of violent crime than women, many times more likely.

And thus the decline of Western civilisation continues apace.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is specifically about rape on women not males . Why would she bring up women raping men if its not about that ?
    As a source for Juxtaposition. You can't really examine an argument about one gender without looking it from the point of both otherwise you have a flawed examination. Issues of sexism arise very much. Furthermore the definition of rape is at best gendered at worse sexist against men. My point stands.

ReputationRep:
    As a source for Juxtaposition. You can't really examine an argument about one gender without looking it from the point of both otherwise you have a flawed examination. Issues of sexism arise very much. Furthermore the definition of rape is at best gendered at worse sexist against men. My point stands.

I still dont get what you are trying to say mate ,
    This is a discussion about rape on women .The vast majority of rapes are committed by men on women .
    That shouldn't be up for debate , also i think anyone with a brain cell knows that most men are not rapist

ReputationRep:

Erm yes and no,i think it depends if you know how to take care of yourself,but anyway this subject isn't about anybody walking around at night its about women walking around by themselves

ReputationRep:
    I still dont get what you are trying to say mate ,
    This is a discussion about rape on women .The vast majority of rapes are committed by men on women .
    That shouldn't be up for debate , also i think anyone with a brain cell knows that most men are not rapist
    About 1 in 8 rapes are on men, 87.5% is hardly the "vast majority".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    The possible victim-blaming isn't aimed at walking alone out at night, it's for dressing sluttily. Which I doubt any parent would condone.
    Its a precaution tbh . We get told precautions all the time . For instance when i went dominican republic which is a very very poor country with a lot of crime i got told specifically when you go into town by yourself don't wear any expensive jewelery .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spinkc)
    One of the most ridiculous things I've ever read, look at Islamic countries where women cover themselves from head to toe and rape is hugely common... or at children, dressed just like a normal child, who are sexually abused.. it's quite clearly not the outfit that draws people to rape or sexual abuse.
    Stats ? not saying you're wrong, but is that just an assumption or can you back that up with evidence ?
    plus , rape of women occurs a lot more than it does for children. And it normally happens late at night, with women often happening to wear revealing clothes. Bit rich of you to call that person's statement "most ridiculous".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    That's right!

Completely true!

aaaaand your whole post is ruined.
    I don't see the objection. It IS rewarding women for dressing like sluts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dennisraymondsmith)
    Wear a short skirt to get a cheap taxi: Council considers fare discount for 'scantily clad girls' to stop them being attacked

Brentwood Borough Council considering urging taxis to drop fares for women in revealing clothes to prevent them becoming a target

Councillor blames TOWIE for women who 'can't possibly wear any less'

Slammed for emphasising how women dress rather than their attackers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-attacked.html

Personally i don't see this working but if it does get implemented i could see this as a good thing if it stops women from being raped because lets face it most women are never going to stop dressing the way they do and if it stops one woman being raped this is a good thing
    WRONG. Why should taxi drivers be denied normal wages in preference of a bunch of women who can't cover themselves properly ? these drivers have families to feed, bills to pay, and the last thing they need on top of a hard day's work and low incomes is to earn even less. If a woman can't understand that if she chooses to reveal her body, people may get a little too friendly then she's made her decision. Harming other people's salaries because of that is just unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureHeartSurg)
    I don't see the objection. It IS rewarding women for dressing like sluts.
    Edit: deleted my post because it looks stupid that I have to explain it. The guy I quoted probably knows what I meant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.