Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Look at retaking college then

It is not worth going to uni just because your mates are going
    At the moment, I feel a bit alienated as I'm the only one out of my friends who doesn't have a concrete uni place, then there's the prospect of being 2 years behind them and the paranoia of being rejected even if I get the grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam_town1)
    At the moment, I feel a bit alienated as I'm the only one out of my friends who doesn't have a concrete uni place, then there's the prospect of being 2 years behind them and the paranoia of being rejected even if I get the grades
    1 year, surely, you only need to retake biology and perhaps take another course to supplement

The reality is the choice between feeling a bit alienated now versus never doing exactly the right job because your qualifications is not right

Do you have any friends that are Y12 going into Y13

Do you live close to the university (just seen the comment about your mum's pal)

ReputationRep:
    Friends who are real friends will stay your real friends, and you'll also make new ones on your new course, so it's much better to take decisions which will benefit you in the long term than to base your actions on peer pressure.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be trying to take everyone else in to consideration before yourself mate, i.e. Mum wants this, my friends want that, I'll be a year or two behind my friends etc.

This isn't what this decision should be based on. It should be based on what you want? If your heart's set on the course - retake the exams/do a BTEC and reapply. Why waste £9000 per year for somethig you don't want to be doing because your friends wanted you to and you'll all graduate at the same time? Equally - if you see yourself settling in to it in time then go for it and forget your Mum's desire for you to go back.

It's a tough decision I know, but it's nothing a bit of alone time wont sort out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tridentus)
    this isn't the empathy-parade.. this is how life works i'm afraid, in your career absolutely no-one will give you much regard for a bereavement if it distracts you from your goals- neither will they if you have kids, marital problems, personal problems,etc.

it's not the nicest thing, but it's just reality, and whether you choose to accept it is down to you. you can choose to redo it, which would only effectively cost you 1 year whilst you could also be doing something useful like a working gap year, or you could accept what they say.

don't waste your time looking on forums for emotional support- either do what you need to do.. or don't.
    I won't lie, you're completely right. I came here for some advice rather than emotional support, and sometimes a kick up the arse is needed to gain some perspective. My results are my fault alone, but for me, situations like this have been commonplace in my life, but I don't expect nor ask for sympathy. I just feel that the last two years have been a bit of a waste compared to the effort I've put in, and now have a prospect of a further two years to get to the same situation (results day, not this).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    You seem to be trying to take everyone else in to consideration before yourself mate, i.e. Mum wants this, my friends want that, I'll be a year or two behind my friends etc.

This isn't what this decision should be based on. It should be based on what you want? If your heart's set on the course - retake the exams/do a BTEC and reapply. Why waste £9000 per year for somethig you don't want to be doing because your friends wanted you to and you'll all graduate at the same time? Equally - if you see yourself settling in to it in time then go for it and forget your Mum's desire for you to go back.

It's a tough decision I know, but it's nothing a bit of alone time wont sort out!
    That's partly down to my personality, I tend to put others before myself. My mum's position is partly financial as she gets a widow's pension if I stay in full time education until I'm 23. I'm in this situation because I love sport, but love science, and I'd prefer it if I could do both. Now looking at BTEC then applying for a scholarship to do Athletic Training in the US. I've got 5 days to think about it, and my 18th is inn5 day's, so this isn't the best time for this but that's life

ReputationRep:
    It may sound like an obvious thing to say, but only you know what's best for you. It's disappointing now, but ultimately you'll end up where you want to be. If you really are so sure that the course LJMU have offered you isn't for you, then do consider your other options. Personally I'd advise that you be absolutely sure though, because a further year or two in college has to be well spent... I don't doubt you'll work very hard, but you need to be prepared for potentially being in the same position as well. That's happened to people I know, and that time could've been spent actually at university. But, equally, if you're going to go to uni, you need to make sure your heart's completely in it. Maybe a bit of time out doing something else could be best for you, though, as that's what troubles me about the whole Clearing process and this period of time in general - it can lead to panicked and uninformed decisions, which you don't want. You are still very young and you have plenty of time. Lastly, your grades are good so well done on those. Put that in perspective and realise there's still a lot you can do with them! Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I won't lie, you're completely right. I came here for some advice rather than emotional support, and sometimes a kick up the arse is needed to gain some perspective. My results are my fault alone, but for me, situations like this have been commonplace in my life, but I don't expect nor ask for sympathy. I just feel that the last two years have been a bit of a waste compared to the effort I've put in, and now have a prospect of a further two years to get to the same situation (results day, not this).
    wow. good attitude at least. some people would retract into their shell feeling like i'd been too mean to them, but fair play.

i guess if you've worked hard and failed, you''re just going to have to work even harder.

the thing about today's 17-18 year olds is that- the older generations go on about how they "hand a levels out like popcorn", but even they admit that we've worked far harder than they did, and that is why the competition is so fierce. everyone takes it so seriously, that nothing less than your best and total focus is good enough if you want success.

i've constantly been placed in bracket-schools and bracket-classes, and achieved high marks through school without much effort, but during A levels i got AAB during AS levels, but then CCC at A2 when i changed to college and didn't give 100%. that tells you everything you need to know- once it comes to a levels, effort>intelligence a little (i still worked pretty hard during may/june that year too).

my personal advice, in terms of what i would do if i were in your situation, would be to retake all your worst modules whilst doing a working gap year at the same time. you'll learn a LOT through working anyway so it's always useful, and you'll have a slight advantage the second time around as well.

i'm routing for you mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    1 year, surely, you only need to retake biology and perhaps take another course to supplement

The reality is the choice between feeling a bit alienated now versus never doing exactly the right job because your qualifications is not right

Do you have any friends that are Y12 going into Y13

Do you live close to the university (just seen the comment about your mum's pal)
    can't retake one subject without retaking the whole year. I'll be going to a different college to do the BTEC (although its literally up the road from the one I just left) so I won't know anyone. I live in mid-cheshire so I'm quite close to the uni
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Why won't they let you in if you satisfy the 280 points condition unless they specified previously that they wanted a better grade than an E in Bio. I think you should go for the remark anyway. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    can't retake one subject without retaking the whole year. I'll be going to a different college to do the BTEC (although its literally up the road from the one I just left) so I won't know anyone. I live in mid-cheshire so I'm quite close to the uni
    ok I am going to back track a bit

stop thinking about any of this now

then tomorrow - look at the course they have offered you with fresh eyes

weigh up the pros and cons [FOR YOU ONLY] and then make a decision

whatever decision you make will be the right one as long as you throw yourself into that pathway - make sure that you have a 3-5 year plan that you can see unfolding in front of you and then take it

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and just to add: graduating a year or two behind your friends, or whatever, means absolutely nothing. At 18+, we're all individuals: some people go to university, some don't, some take gap years, some take two, some go straight into work whilst others decide to go to uni as a mature student, some people do 4 year courses or a foundation year etc. etc. It's completely a personal thing. Once everyone's doing their own thing and a course of their choice, it's your path and nothing to do with school friends. Indeed, you make new friends at university doing the same as you. And then when you graduate, it's the same again - you don't all go into the same job. Life just isn't simple like that, but in my opinion that's what's great about it.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of people go to university two years later, usually because they dropped out of their course and decided to reapply. At 20, you'll still get an excellent student experience, and make loads of new friends, but you'll be that bit more mature, and probably do better at your degree as a result. Being behind your friends won't matter, you're probably all going to different unis and doing different courses, so you wouldn't see them that much during term time anyway.

It's obviously disappointing if they are all celebrating, but you should make the decision that's right for you, not do what your friends are doing, or what people want you to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tridentus)
    wow. good attitude at least. some people would retract into their shell feeling like i'd been too mean to them, but fair play.

i guess if you've worked hard and failed, you''re just going to have to work even harder.

the thing about today's 17-18 year olds is that- the older generations go on about how they "hand a levels out like popcorn", but even they admit that we've worked far harder than they did, and that is why the competition is so fierce. everyone takes it so seriously, that nothing less than your best and total focus is good enough if you want success.

i've constantly been placed in bracket-schools and bracket-classes, and achieved high marks through school without much effort, but during A levels i got AAB during AS levels, but then CCC at A2 when i changed to college and didn't give 100%. that tells you everything you need to know- once it comes to a levels, effort>intelligence a little (i still worked pretty hard during may/june that year too).

my personal advice, in terms of what i would do if i were in your situation, would be to retake all your worst modules whilst doing a working gap year at the same time. you'll learn a LOT through working anyway so it's always useful, and you'll have a slight advantage the second time around as well.

i'm routing for you mate.
    I failed my reffereeing promotion exam earlier this year and the first thing that I said when the resit was mentioned was 'more incentive to nail it', same thing applies here. I worked really hard in biology, I got myself a private tutor for the A2 year. But I've gone and let myself down and now I've got to find out why I did so well in PE and Health and Social Care and not so well in biology, and fix those errors. The course they've offered me goes directly to becoming a PE teacher, which I've got nothing against, I wouldn't love sport as much as I do now without them, its not a bad career, there's no harm in doing it, but I prefer sport science much more. Then again, taking 2 years out to do a BTEC than has a possibility of me gaining the equivalent to 3 A-Levels and to A grade standard, is a good incentive as any. Taking a gap year and this monent isn't feasible financially and personally, if it was a couple in the future then it'll be fine. Cheers for the optimism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RVNmax)
    Why won't they let you in if you satisfy the 280 points condition unless they specified previously that they wanted a better grade than an E in Bio. I think you should go for the remark anyway. Good luck!
    All that was specified was meeting a minimum of 280 ucas points, nothing subject related. The remark is for a different subject as I'm around 1 raw mark away from obtaining an A in the subject which could pull my results up from ABE to AAE
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    All that was specified was meeting a minimum of 280 ucas points, nothing subject related. The remark is for a different subject as I'm around 1 raw mark away from obtaining an A in the subject which could pull my results up from ABE to AAE
    In that case, do the priority re-mark and ring the uni today to hopefully speak to someone on this matter and tell them your intended re-mark actions. I think they are obliged to let you in. If you've still got access to their conditional offer then post it here because I don't understand why a university would go against it.

This is what I've thought for years and is a message spread across TSR e.g. posts 9 and 16 on http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1896076 - So I'm pretty sure I haven't made a mistake unless I'm missing something totally obvious, which might be the case as nobody else has agreed that the uni is being more than harsh.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just starting university next month at the age of 21 and most of my friends graduated this year, the rest will be done next year. It makes no difference.

Are none of your friends taking gap years? You could take one, you don't have to tell them that it's because you need to do resits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RVNmax)
    In that case, do the priority re-mark and ring the uni today to hopefully speak to someone on this matter and tell them your intended re-mark actions. I think they are obliged to let you in. If you've still got access to their conditional offer then post it here because I don't understand why a university would go against it.

This is what I've thought for years and is a message spread across TSR e.g. posts 9 and 16 on http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1896076 - So I'm pretty sure I haven't made a mistake unless I'm missing something totally obvious, which might be the case as nobody else has agreed that the uni is being more than harsh.
    When I rang the uni yesterday, I told them I was getting the paper remarked and they said it'll make no difference because of my biology grade (they said I would struggle because of it, even though I was more than capable of handling and even excelled at the biology in PE and Health and Social Care). I've pulled up the offer from track just now and is attached.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1376642348.708418.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  111.2 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    When I rang the uni yesterday, I told them I was getting the paper remarked and they said it'll make no difference because of my biology grade (they said I would struggle because of it, even though I was more than capable of handling and even excelled at the biology in PE and Health and Social Care). I've pulled up the offer from track just now and is attached.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Take it up with UCAS, hopefully they might be able help you. Though you might want to try the uni again first in the hope that you'll speak to someone else.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmmm. That looks like you've got a case. I doubt you will win it if they've been so categorical, but it's worth challenging them on it at least.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.