Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You're not being a drama queen, you didn't get where you want and its fine to be upset about that.! However, I will tell you Sheffield is a lovely place, I hope you enjoy it. I've been on an outreach law programme with them which was really good and the law students I spoke to really enjoyed their time there I had Sheffield as my insurance, and tbh I am maybe a bit sad about not going there because of how the course is - you get so many elective modules (where I'm going you get 2 )The SU is amazing, the libraries are good, and the city is lovely! And Slaughter and May sponsor their moot court, and take a good amount of students from there as trainees, so that's good news. And if you like, you can take a year out abroad for minimal cost. It's not got a reputation on par with universities like Warwick etc, but if you're going for regional law firms, it's definitely not gonna hold you back. And yeah, the city is awesome...and its cheap in comparison to other places like Bristol. (you can tell I love Sheffield hahaha) <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vaguity)
    You're not being a drama queen, you didn't get where you want and its fine to be upset about that.! However, I will tell you Sheffield is a lovely place, I hope you enjoy it. I've been on an outreach law programme with them which was really good and the law students I spoke to really enjoyed their time there I had Sheffield as my insurance, and tbh I am maybe a bit sad about not going there because of how the course is - you get so many elective modules (where I'm going you get 2 )The SU is amazing, the libraries are good, and the city is lovely! And Slaughter and May sponsor their moot court, and take a good amount of students from there as trainees, so that's good news. And if you like, you can take a year out abroad for minimal cost. It's not got a reputation on par with universities like Warwick etc, but if you're going for regional law firms, it's definitely not gonna hold you back. And yeah, the city is awesome...and its cheap in comparison to other places like Bristol. (you can tell I love Sheffield hahaha) <3
    The slaughter and may thing is interesting so thanks for letting me know that!

The thing is, i'm not going for regional law firms... I live in London so essentially I want to come back here.. ahhhh nothing I can do now, hopefully it gets me where I need to be!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think I should just resit? I really don't want to though because it means I'll be 20 when I go to university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i-love-coffee)
    Does anyone think I should just resit? I really don't want to though because it means I'll be 20 when I go to university
    I wouldn't see the point of doing that tbh. It's not like you've gone from Exeter to Sheffield Hallam. You've got an offer from a good RG uni.

I mean you would have to weigh up what is more important to you: starting uni now, or going to Exeter. Imagine if you resat and still didn't get the grades! I'm not saying you wouldn't, because you'd probably have a lot more time to focus on them, but I resat one module whilst having nothing else to do and I did even worse so it was a waste of time.

I take it you've never been to Sheffield? It would be good if you could take a day to visit the city and the uni area. I know there are no open days atm but you can still have a look, maybe it will ease your nerves. It's easy to get to from London St Pancras.

ReputationRep:
    No you should absolutely NOT feel bad. Sheffield is still better than many other unis.

It's a very good university with remarkable graduate prospects. Get over Exeter/Bristol: yes their reputation might be better, but that does not mean that you would have necessarily enjoyed it their.

It's just your destiny. Believe me, if you go to Sheffield, you will not regret it a second.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought, especially Law at Sheffield as Law seems to be over-subscribed at almost all the Russell Groups. Thanks, your definitely right; I just need to accept it and realise actually how lucky I am. (easier said then done though!)
    Don't worry about it, it's normal to feel like this at first. Once you start buying things for your room and getting excited about freshers it'll be great. Enjoy first year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GinaLaMalfaisant)
    No you should absolutely NOT feel bad. Sheffield is still better than many other unis.

It's a very good university with remarkable graduate prospects. Get over Exeter/Bristol: yes their reputation might be better, but that does not mean that you would have necessarily enjoyed it their.

It's just your destiny. Believe me, if you go to Sheffield, you will not regret it a second.
    I hope so :/ I'm not looking forward to it at the moment... I just really need to let go of my ambition for Bristol/Exeter but eugh I just always end up debating whether I should retake

ReputationRep:
    I have a sort of similar problem, I got a place at Sheffield for law with AAA through adjustment but I can't decide whether to reapply to better unis like Bristol but then again, I don't know if the benefits of going to a slightly more prestigious uni justifies the cost of putting my life on hold for a year. Argh, decisions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blabbermonkey)
    Terrible advice (as usual from you Gina)- no mention at all of the automatic grade filters that most law firms and barrister chambers use when applying for jobs that would completely screw OP. Anyone wanting a legal career at anything above a high street firm needs to seriously consider retakes if they get ABB or less as they simply won't get through the initial sifting phase at the majority of firms. Chatting about 'destiny' sounds great, but what OP needs is realistic advice from people who have some idea about the legal world.
    I am completely sick and tired of you insulting me. If you disagree with me so much, please have at least the courtesy of respecting my opinion, "Mr./Mrs. I know everything about the legal world".

I think that you are entitled to your own opinion but telling me that mine is "terrible", is absolutely inadmissible. And, in the same way as you, I believe that your advice to the OP is quite as bad. Who told you that her/his goal was to go into a law firm anyway? You don't know, you're just supposing.

And Sheffield's law school is still targeted by top city firms such as Slaughter and May. I believe that if you are willing to deliver a sufficient amount of ambition/effort, then a 1st in law from Sheffield along with appropriate extra-curriculum, will be good enough for most law firms in the UK.

PS: I didn't even neg you so that you don't say it's me

ReputationRep:
    Stop giving ridiculous advice then! I've seen so many posts from you where it's just 'Exeter is SO GOOD OMG it's better than UCL/*insert name of very prestigious university*' and just spouting nonsense that shows a fundamental lack of understanding about the legal job market that is actually detrimental to the people seeking help.

As for not knowing their goals, sure they may want to do something else. But people change their mind over time; having them completely restricted from being able to do what they want due to the AAB filter they probably don't yet know about is something that needs to be considered. Even if they don't go into law a lot of graduate programs have similarly rigorous requirements. As does the bar. I'm actually trying to help them not get ****ed over in 2 years because of their Alevel results.

As for all this nonsense about being 'targeted' you once again reveal your ignorance. Just because a firm runs an event at a firm does not mean they hire significant numbers of people from that university- otherwise Eversheds would be swarming with Birkbeck graduates (which it isn't!). Many of the particularly high paying US firms hold events at London universities and places like Warwick- yet when I was looking through their trainee profiles very few came from these London unis and absolutely none from Warwick. Just holding an event does not = they actually hire people. There is a great deal of politics involved in law firm PR that is too complex for this post but the picture is not as simple as you try to portray it.

I'm not saying Sheffield is absolutely crap because it isn't. I'm saying that OP can probably do better given the offers they had elsewhere and that it isn't as good for law as the university generally is. Feel free to disagree on that point as I know some people take my view and some don't.

P.S. Why would I care about being neg'd? I'm not 5...
    Actually, I bet that I could say whathever that you would still say that every piece of advice I give is ****. You annoy me so much and, right now, I just wanna slap you. So just whatever, you can go on and criticize me all you want. Whatever you say won't make me change my mind.

P.S: You're not five? Well sorry you just come across as such a cocky slash arrogant slash disrespectful person that it is hard to give you anymore than that.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield's law school is not great- the university as a whole is very good, but law is one of their weaknesses. ABB will make it impossible for you to get training contracts with most top/medium firms and make the bar even more difficult (it's mental already due to applicant numbers) because they all use automatic filters that tend to be set at AAB. I'd urge you to redo your Alevels to get those grades up to AAA and apply to higher ranked law schools- his way you a) won't get killed by automatic filters when you apply for jobs and b) won't find yourself handicapped by studying law at a university that isn't great for it.

Good luck.
    Thanks for your advice. Do you think I should go to Sheffield and then I could always re-take a couple A Level modules once I'm there? I'm only 7 or so UMS of an A in my Politics and I have an interest in the subject anyway so I wouldn't mind re-taking.

Or do you think I should completely not go and take a whole year out :/

ReputationRep:
    Hi, In response to your last question I just thought I'd tell you that when I visited the Leeds university law open day they told me that they do not look favourably upon candidates who re-sit, particularly not those who re-sit a year. Now, I don't know if that just leeds, but I'm guessing its a possible guideline for other RG universities too. Thus, in my opinion you should seize the opportunity with Sheffield who are a very respectable and prospect-filled university for law! It's your choice at the end of the day but I think you would regret accepting a place this year I hope whatever you decide works out for you! Good luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's a hard choice. I don't know how intensive the Sheffield course is in 1st year work wise and whether you could fit retakes in or not- do you know any current Sheffield law students you could ask about that?

Whatever you do, make sure you end up with AAB however you do it. Whether it be remarks, retakes or doing another Alevel by distance learning it really is very important if you want to ensure you don't fall foul of the automatic grade filters most law firms/chambers use. I'd hate for you to have worked so hard to get good grades at university and then find that regardless you're not getting a fair look in because of exams you did years ago. As someone says, some unis do look down on retakes which could be an issue if you reapplied. The other option is to take up another Alevel or 2 whilst having a gap year- you can portray this as 'oh I wanted to work and save up money but also enjoy studying so decided to do a few more qualifications' in the future which seems pretty reasonable.
    No I don't know any, but I studied A Level Law and the whole first year od uni seems to pretty much be the whole of A Level Law but in one year, so I think I may be able to do a couple A Level modules alongside. (not saying Law degrees are easy, but I have a lot of prior knowledge as I did lots of work experience etc etc.)

Your very right, I can imagine that's seriously frustrating to have a First Class degree yet still being held back by your A-Levels! I think I'm going to go, but make sure by the time I'm applying for TCs that I have AAB. I think i'll either re-take some Pol modules, or like you said do a distance-learning course. I also may take a year out as an ERAMUS international year, which would give me sometime to study an A-Level to as there are no exams in that year for the degree.

Thanks for all your advice! Do you think this is a good plan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GinaLaMalfaisant)

This.

I graduated with a 2.1 from Bristol and given my time again would have gone somewhere like Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spectre1039)
    This.

I graduated with a 2.1 from Bristol and given my time again would have gone somewhere like Sheffield.
    Congrats on your 2:1!!

that's interesting, why do you say that?

ReputationRep:
    I do Law at Sheffield, and you’re right that it isn’t as high in the league tables as Exeter or Bristol – but I still think it’s fantastic for law! We have a lot of London firms come to visit for guest lectures and open evenings. They often host drinks receptions which are really good for networking – they have the recruitment people where you can ask questions on how to make your applications stand out, and you can talk to the trainees about what it’s like to work there, and then there’s always a few senior people that are far scarier to talk to but really good just to try and get your name out there! We had one not long ago hosted by Slaughter and May, Herbert Smith and Freshfields and basically the aim of the evening was for them to try dispel the myth that London firms don’t like northern universities, and try and persuade us to apply.

There’s also an annual law fair which has about every commercial London firm you can think of, as well as other areas like family law and regional firms. Sheffield is also great for extra curriculars – mooting is really easy to get involved with, and then there is FreeLaw which is like a law clinic where the public can go and students give free advice. Also the law society is amazing! The nights out and social side is fantastic, but they also have really good career events and charity stuff to get involved with to pad out your applications.

Also if you wanted to do a year abroad in third year everybody has that option, and there are SO many places to choose from – and you don’t have to know a language, all the partner universities offer courses in English.

I realise I’m very biased as I go to Sheffield and absolutely love it there – but I just wanted to get across that league tables aren’t the be all and end all, there’s loads of opportunities at Sheffield to help future job applications Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on your 2:1!!

that's interesting, why do you say that?
    I wasn't that impressed with some of the teaching and levels of feedback. The dept is dominated by those from expensive independent schools. Without going all left-wing here I did feel a bit out of place to begin with...It was a bloody tough course as well. Perhaps rose-tinted spectacles but people elsewhere were surely having more fun?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spectre1039)
    I wasn't that impressed with some of the teaching and levels of feedback. The dept is dominated by those from expensive independent schools. Without going all left-wing here I did feel a bit out of place to begin with...It was a bloody tough course as well. Perhaps rose-tinted spectacles but people elsewhere were surely having more fun?!
    I got the feeling at the Bristol open-day of being slightly out of place around students who have received a 100k education too.. thought that might go away if I went there so it's interesting that you mention it.

Haha yes my friend went to the Sheffield open day and said students seem to truly enjoy their time there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penchant)
    I do Law at Sheffield, and you’re right that it isn’t as high in the league tables as Exeter or Bristol – but I still think it’s fantastic for law! We have a lot of London firms come to visit for guest lectures and open evenings. They often host drinks receptions which are really good for networking – they have the recruitment people where you can ask questions on how to make your applications stand out, and you can talk to the trainees about what it’s like to work there, and then there’s always a few senior people that are far scarier to talk to but really good just to try and get your name out there! We had one not long ago hosted by Slaughter and May, Herbert Smith and Freshfields and basically the aim of the evening was for them to try dispel the myth that London firms don’t like northern universities, and try and persuade us to apply.

There’s also an annual law fair which has about every commercial London firm you can think of, as well as other areas like family law and regional firms. Sheffield is also great for extra curriculars – mooting is really easy to get involved with, and then there is FreeLaw which is like a law clinic where the public can go and students give free advice. Also the law society is amazing! The nights out and social side is fantastic, but they also have really good career events and charity stuff to get involved with to pad out your applications.

Also if you wanted to do a year abroad in third year everybody has that option, and there are SO many places to choose from – and you don’t have to know a language, all the partner universities offer courses in English.

I realise I’m very biased as I go to Sheffield and absolutely love it there – but I just wanted to get across that league tables aren’t the be all and end all, there’s loads of opportunities at Sheffield to help future job applications Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!
    Thanks so much for this, it's really making me look forward to uni now! I'm going to Sheffield

ReputationRep:
    I got the feeling at the Bristol open-day of being slightly out of place around students who have received a 100k education too.. thought that might go away if I went there so it's interesting that you mention it.
    Well I went to fairly socially selective grammar so I can't claim to be Oliver Twist. I just took a while to find my feet and find my niche. This tended to mean avoiding the type of person who spent much of their first term still proudly wearing their school leavers hoody.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.