Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is This The Real Reason For The Gender Pay Gap? Watch

ReputationRep:
    men do subjets like physics, maths, ict etc and females do subjects such as sociology, child care, art.

and then they complain that they don't get paid as much as men lmao

ReputationRep:
    smd4std but this doesn't appear to be the case according to the article and several studies-they're also doing the same degree as a man who then earns more. Personally I think not enough importance is placed on what the graduates did apart from their career though. For example, how many men compared to women do you know who do a lot of hobbies/study a wide range of skills which help in work? I have several advantages which I want to make the most of, for example I'm bilingual and hope to gain more qualifications in not just German(my second language) but also Spanish which I loved at GCSE level, and kept all the books from. I also have had a lot of hobbies, and I think if you have hobbies you're less likely to spend so much free time in bars/clubs etc. And this isn't me attempting to make a case for women, personally I think it's partly some womens' problems. When I was in secondary school, it was a girl school and I was bullied plenty, partly for having red hair(!? this is so stupid) but I think also because I enjoyed classical music so I spent most lunch times in my final years in a practice room on the piano, hoping I could do this for a living, and also because I liked maths and did extra work in it. There is just too much pressure on girls to be "social"(which means NOT) in secondary school, and even my chemistry teacher would play up to the popular kids, which considering she was a woman and I found her the most difficult to handle as I wasn't popular so didn't get a lot of attention, says that most women have this idea of what "being sociable" actually means, and it leads to not doing extra work in my opinion. By the way, I'm about to start my degree in maths and music at Royal Holloway, but afterwards would like to gain a masters in maths at university, and in music at a conservatoire.

In my past I have done salsa, street and disco dance, horse riding, chemistry camp, tried to write both fantasy and sci-fi books, read into maths books most people my age wouldn't attempt(even if I didn't make it past page 14, that alone gives me a strong sense of pride-the book was "Tensor calculus, relativity and cosmology" by DF Lawden) perfected my German and done figure skating. Although these things may not have given me perfect A levels they have given me confidence that I can do anything I try my hand at, and a large set of skills which I will either use in my career or to give me a long, happy life.

Sorry this was a bit long, my point is, how many women compared to men do you know who are encouraged to work hard in areas which aren't necessarily what they're studying, but which will give them an advantage? All the English people I know who can speak German back to me very well are boys-just one way in which girls seem to be missing out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelB11)
    Punani you obviously haven't lived in the same environment as I have. If men are now volunteering to do the childcare - great. But from what I've seen in practice is that generally they do not - nor do they think they should do an equal share of household chores when both are working the same hours outside the home. And the statistics are bearing out what I say.
    I understand your point of view. The point this article didn't mention was that men and women doing the same job, with the same experience, qualifications are paid the same. A few studies have shown that men seem to be more likely to apply for the most competitive jobs and are also more likely to apply for promotion. The Childcare issue is a big one, but if the legislation comes in to allow parents to split maternity leave as they see fit and women are still choosing to do most of the childcare, how can this be viewed as discrimination?

The point I am trying to make is that women, by the choices they make, are more responsible for the gender pay gap than any perceived discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with you really Punani though I'd love it to be as you say. I am well aware a majority of women do have a reason as to maybe they're paid less. But I'm talking about the ones I've seen where that isn't the case. And it's not equal pay for equal work - though you try proving that in real life when it doesn't happen but lack of promotion for women of equal or even more commitment and ability. I was an auditor seeing inside a lot of private businesses for many years and it's my personal observation that equality has improved but we're still not there. When men are putting in more of course they should be paid more. But if you don't let women into higher positions (the public sector do) then we're always going to have lower pay. There's also a limit on how much experience makes you the best for you job. A few years in an area can make you as good as anyone - 50 years and you can be technologically not as advanced and stuck in ways that work but aren't necessarily the best or the most efficient.

And I was once paid less than a male counterpart for the same work. It was only because a financial adviser working for the firm didn't cover up his notes fast enough and my speed at reading upside down that let me know - until then I'd been oblivious and with no female superiors I doubt it would ever have come to light otherwise. That's the real world for you - it was altered when I spoke up as it is illegal but I should never have been put in that position.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.