Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Nursing is academic. I'm sure Sarah here has not seen the new degree curriculum that we have to study now. It may now be as "challenging" as medicine but it is still harder than the diploma ever was. So sorry but I think medic students always have to undermine nursing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anizz91)
    Nursing is academic. I'm sure Sarah here has not seen the new degree curriculum that we have to study now. It may now be as "challenging" as medicine but it is still harder than the diploma ever was. So sorry but I think medic students always have to undermine nursing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow, I have no idea why you need to insult a fellow nurse

Well seeing as I topped my diploma up to a first in acute care yes I am aware of the work involved in a nursing degree.. I have one! I am also a mentor and therefore sign off nursing degree students to pass their course. I know a great deal about the nursing degree program as I help to teach it, whereas you haven't even finished it yet I presume? You're comments are rude and irrelivent, many nurses you work alongside studied the diploma and are fantastic nurses, how is insulting other nurses ok? You say that medic students undermine nursing yet you feel its fair to undermine diploma nurses? that is ridiculously hypocritical. I only topped up my degree as it is a requirement to reach a band 7, nurses who I studied with who did the degree haven't even got a band 6 yet, it made no difference to them in their career.

My comment was regarding nursing and medicine as careers. Medicine is more academic than nursing, that is a fact. That does not however mean medicine is more worthwhile or more important than nursing. I've seen senior nurses wipe the floor with newly qualified doctors. Generally I'd say nurses have far better practical skills, communication skills and bedside manner. Doctors couldn't do their jobs without fantastic nurses caring for patients. But the nurses role essentially revolves around care and holistic treatment, doctors is diagnosis and treatment and therefore is more scientific. The level of academia doesn't mean it's worth, I wouldn't undermine nurses, I am one! And very proud to be! Lose the chip on your shoulder and realise we are all a team, if medical students undermine you ignore them, it's their own ignorance, nurses are just as important as doctors and I never said otherwise.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.