Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

This Is Sick! Jude Forces Vasectomy Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shanej13)
    Judge sorry ahaha. That he should not be forced to be sterilised
    The judge made the very sensible point that he is capable of consenting to sex, but not to the creation of a child, as he does not have the capacity to understand the consequences.

This is particularly relevant considering that it is his family, and not him, who will have to care for the child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    "Mrs Justice Eleanor King, sitting in the Court of Protection in London, ruled that sterilisation could take place after hearing that DE does not want to become a father again"

"... measures were taken to ensure there was no further pregnancy, with DE, who did not wish to have more children..."

"The evidence, in the Official Solicitors' submission, is compelling that DE does want to have a vasectomy..."

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think people are getting confused because in a legal sense he is not consenting to it, because he is not considered mentally capable of consenting. But that's not the same as not wanting it. It's like how there are probably plenty of 12 year olds that want to have sex, but they're not legally considered to be able to consent to the act.

(Original post by wildrover)
    Why it the man and not the women who has to be sterilised? Time to start electing judges, power without responsibility is unacceptable and I hope this poor man takes his case the that awful court in Strasbourg although since he isn't a criminal I don't have hopes.
    Maybe it's just the safer option from a medical point of view. Also a vasectomy can be reversed, not sure if there is a female equivalent that can be reversed.

Also, why would he take the case further? He actually said he wanted it, but because of his learning difficulties he's not capable of legally consenting to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    Kind of laughed hard at these top comments:

Anyone thinking that a rape case would be brought to court if a guy had a mentally disabled girlfriend who doesn't even have the mental capacity to decide whether or not to have a child in this exact scenario?

I think so.

Yup let's not forget that it's the women who make the choice to get pregnant right? :rolleyes: With the amount of birth control and options available to women I refuse to believe that any woman can fall pregnant accidentally.
    Did you not read that the woman also has learning difficulties?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    You mean, there's one less way we can legally and knowingly create disabled babies? Oh no! All those terrible lives that'll no longer be lived. Boo legal system. We want more disabled people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics

ReputationRep:
    Why it the man and not the women who has to be sterilised? Time to start electing judges, power without responsibility is unacceptable and I hope this poor man takes his case the that awful court in Strasbourg although since he isn't a criminal I don't have hopes.
    Because he could get someone else pregnant? Obviously.
    I didnt see anything suggesting the girlfriend wouldnt be able to handle a child so why should she be sterilized?

The relationship could break up, he could cheat or whatever and then he is at risk of creating another child, that is why it is him and not his gf.

I dont agree with court rulings on someone's body though at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    Kind of laughed hard at these top comments:

Yup let's not forget that it's the women who make the choice to get pregnant right? :rolleyes: With the amount of birth control and options available to women I refuse to believe that any woman can fall pregnant accidentally.
    Maybe the fact that protection is not 100% and not all women can use all types of birth control anyway.
    For example the woman on the pill is going to be more at risk than the woman on the implant.

ReputationRep:
    When I saw the phrasing of this thread's title, I knew it would have a link to an article from the Daily Mail. The Judge did not force DE to have a vasectomy. Rather, she agreed with all interested parties that it was in his best interests. DE himself had said he did not want further issue, and it had been established he is not mentally competent enough to effectively use birth control, nor is his partner. To say that "no man wants" a vasectomy is ludicrous.

(Original post by kunoichi)
    X

Please read an article from an actual newspaper, rather than the Daily Fail:
    http://www.theguardian.com/law/2013/aug/16/court-sterilisation-man-learning-difficulties

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taintedCH)
    When I saw the phrasing of this thread's title, I knew it would have a link to an article from the Daily Mail. The Judge did not force DE to have a vasectomy. Rather, she agreed with all interested parties that it was in his best interests. DE himself had said he did not want further issue, and it had been established he is not mentally competent enough to effectively use birth control, nor is his partner. To say that "no man wants" a vasectomy is ludicrous.

Please read an article from an actual newspaper, rather than the Daily Fail:
    http://www.theguardian.com/law/2013/aug/16/court-sterilisation-man-learning-difficulties

I have said nothing i wouldnt still agree with after reading that :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kunoichi)
    I have said nothing i wouldnt still agree with after reading that :confused:
    Well first of all, you'd have read that the couple already have one child for whom they are incapable of caring. The child is cared for by its maternal grandparents. The sterilisation of DE was not ordered but for DE's desire to not produce further issue. There is no comment as to whether his partner was of the same opinion, and thus the decision of who ought be sterilised was wholly irrelevant. Moreover the article makes clear that the partner also suffers from learning difficulties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shanej13)
    Because he does not have a choice because he has learning difficulties. It's not something most men want! I know first hand
    A lot of men have it voluntarily. Sane, normal men. Over 15,000 procedures performed in 2011.

He was the one who expressed "distress"over his child, so presumably, the girl didn't want any treatment. This is only going to court due to the fact that he cannot clearly states his desires to essentially sign a consent form on his own, so a judge has to act as the middleman.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.