The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kramsey
Hello everyone :smile:

Currently in the process of applying for Paramedic Science for 2014 entry. Looking at Swansea, SHU, LJMU, Stafford, Plymouth and Portsmouth at the minute. If this fails I'm also hoping to apply for the next Scottish Ambulance Service tech intake.

Already been to uni for nearly a year and was studying nursing, but withdrew after getting the opportunity to work with some paramedics and realised this was the career path I wanted to pursue instead. While nursing wasn't for me, it gave me patient communication experience and a good insight into the healthcare environment, and I got good grades in assignments etc.so I'm hoping dropping out won't go against me too much :/

I've been in St John Ambulance for 2 years and I'm currently a PTA, hopefully doing ETA soon. I also worked as a bank care assistant in a care home for young adults with neurological conditions, and I've just started volunteering with SOS Bus.

I'm taking a BTEC 90-credit Diploma in Applied Science, as while I got BBB in my A-levels, they were all in non-science subjects.

I'm also applying for my C1 Provisional atm, but unsure whether to complete the full exam just yet as none of my unis require it on entry.

Does anyone have any advice on anything I could do in addition to strengthen my application? I'm mainly worried by the fact that prospective unis will look upon my dropping out of my previous degree as lack of commitment. Also, I was hoping to get out on a few observer shifts but my trust (Northern Ireland) doesn't offer this, does anyone know of any other trusts in the UK that offer observer shifts?

Im sure they won't look on you dropping out as a lack of commitment. I dropped out of a Bsc course after 2 years because I realised what this was what I wanted to do. But as long as you prove you've thought it through and you're able to tell them why you want to be a paramedic and what experience you've gained since dropping out you will be fine!
Make sure you say that you understand the workload involved, that helped my application, the fact I had already done the same level of assignments etc at Uni so I knew I could cope with it.
At all the uni open days I went to last year they all said they advise you getting your C1 before you start the course (unless the course run it for you) as it normally takes a week to do, 2 theory tests and a 3 day practical so you don't want to be worrying about trying to fit that in while you study as you won't get many holiday weeks off. Also it makes you more attractive to employers as you will only need to do your blue light training and then you can start working with them, compared to someone who needs an extra week to do the C licence.
It is costly though, so plan in advance and save up for it! Good luck
Reply 21
Hi everyone,

Im currently in the process of applying for the paramedic science 2014 intake at bcu and staffs uni. I have precious experience as a student midwife so hoping my communication and team working skills will aid my application.
my fiancé is a paramedic with WMAS so I'm hoping he can give me a few tips but would love to hear from anyone thinking of applying to bcu or staffs...
thanks
lucy x
Reply 22
I'm Jez, going to be starting the FDSc Paramedic Science at St George's next year september 2014! Please feel free to ask me any questions related to your application etc..I've got quite a bit of history when it comes to paramedic science applications! I started out on the BSc at Hertfordshire a few years ago and completed a year of the course but then for personal reasons had to leave. Went to Uni in Brighton and got a degree in psychology in the meantime but then realised my heart was still in it for a career as a paramedic! Done two rounds of applications and luckily have been successful in both..so yeh anyone going to St George's next here feel free to chat and anyone send any questions you might have over :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by h27
I'm Jez, going to be starting the FDSc Paramedic Science at St George's next year september 2014! Please feel free to ask me any questions related to your application etc..I've got quite a bit of history when it comes to paramedic science applications! I started out on the BSc at Hertfordshire a few years ago and completed a year of the course but then for personal reasons had to leave. Went to Uni in Brighton and got a degree in psychology in the meantime but then realised my heart was still in it for a career as a paramedic! Done two rounds of applications and luckily have been successful in both..so yeh anyone going to St George's next here feel free to chat and anyone send any questions you might have over :smile:

Hello Jez, your advice would be perfect for me as I completed a degree in Forensic Computing a year ago and like yourself, I realised paramedics is where I want to be. I did know whilst I was in uni but carried on with the degree and then just wanted full time work once I left. I have already applied but if I have an interview they will obviously ask me why I wanted such a different career change, I don't want it to look like forensics wasn't for me and now I have picked anything. Can you give me advice on what to say about this please? I am volunteering for St John's and I work in A+E at night (on top of a full time job!) so on that part I think i'm sorted. Thank You :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by h27

Hi Jez,
I'm a mature student with a degree in Business, i've worked in mainly education since in support roles. I am currently writing the Personal Statement! I am involved in many community projects and the local CFR team, i'm aware I dont have massis of experience yet - but I am working on it.
What would be your advise in terms of gaining experience, what specific things did you do that you feel helped?
Look forward to hearing back :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by GABRIELLEW
Hello Jez, your advice would be perfect for me as I completed a degree in Forensic Computing a year ago and like yourself, I realised paramedics is where I want to be. I did know whilst I was in uni but carried on with the degree and then just wanted full time work once I left. I have already applied but if I have an interview they will obviously ask me why I wanted such a different career change, I don't want it to look like forensics wasn't for me and now I have picked anything. Can you give me advice on what to say about this please? I am volunteering for St John's and I work in A+E at night (on top of a full time job!) so on that part I think i'm sorted. Thank You :smile:

Hey Gabrielle, similar sort of situation I was in to be honest and I had that exact same question..to be honest I think it's perfectly fine to say that having tried your hand at forensics it wasn't for you. With your work experience etc I think it's safe to say it would be a perfectly acceptable answer to say that having done your work experience and researched the role in depth you've realised that a job in the medical field interests you especially that of a paramedic. Think it's safe to say not many people actually know what they want to do when they set about applying for university, some people fall into different things and the amount of mature students on paramedic courses emphasises this. Just be honest if that question comes up and I have no doubts that they will understand and respect your decision to move into the world of paramedic science :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by vsimpso
Hi Jez,
I'm a mature student with a degree in Business, i've worked in mainly education since in support roles. I am currently writing the Personal Statement! I am involved in many community projects and the local CFR team, i'm aware I dont have massis of experience yet - but I am working on it.
What would be your advise in terms of gaining experience, what specific things did you do that you feel helped?
Look forward to hearing back :smile:

I would say just try and get as much experience as you can. Getting work experience with paramedics is obviously very hard to get so I don't think they're expecting you to have spent time on ambulances etc. Any experience working in a people based role I think is perfect. Personally I did some work experience at a GPs surgery and had various other jobs whilst at uni, I also spent time as a Special Constable which I think for me provided the bulk of my experience. I think the experience your gaining is perfect for your application, just try and do as much as you can and I'm sure you'll be fine!
Reply 27
Original post by Lucylu77
Hi everyone,

Im currently in the process of applying for the paramedic science 2014 intake at bcu and staffs uni. I have precious experience as a student midwife so hoping my communication and team working skills will aid my application.
my fiancé is a paramedic with WMAS so I'm hoping he can give me a few tips but would love to hear from anyone thinking of applying to bcu or staffs...
thanks
lucy x

Hi there how are you. im currently studying Bsc hons criminal investigation but will be applying for the paramedic course for 2014, as this year they refused me on something silly which i will be taking up with them, fingers crossed i get in to BCU as i have been trying for ages :frown:
Reply 28
Hi saffykhan1,

thanks for the reply!
how many years have you applied to bcu? And if you don't mind me asking, what was the feedback they gave?
im under the impression that the paramedic science course at bcu for 2014 is going to be a three year bsc degree which is why I'm also applying to staffs as it is still only two years at present. Will you be applying anywhere else?

are you doing any kind of work experience or are you too busy with your degree?

lucy x
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by h27
I would say just try and get as much experience as you can. Getting work experience with paramedics is obviously very hard to get so I don't think they're expecting you to have spent time on ambulances etc. Any experience working in a people based role I think is perfect. Personally I did some work experience at a GPs surgery and had various other jobs whilst at uni, I also spent time as a Special Constable which I think for me provided the bulk of my experience. I think the experience your gaining is perfect for your application, just try and do as much as you can and I'm sure you'll be fine!

Thank you, yes I've tried to get experience with a Paramedic but its not so easy! if you don't mind me asking, how have you already gained a place for 2014? well done though, what a year you can have in prep!
Reply 30
Hi

I am currently a second year adult nursing student. However I have realised through placement that this is not where I want to be and I really want to be a paramedic involved in pre hospital care! Obviously through nursing I have gained a lot of experience when it comes to caring and learning a large number of skills which will be carried over on to paramedic science, however will it go against me if I drop out if nursing to start paramedic science instead?

I have good grades from school and got good grades in my first year at uni. I have my driving licence and all of my injections you require.

I really want to go to UWE but I really hope that dropping out of nursing doesn't go again me
Omg! I'm applying for 2014 but reading what you all put, it sounds like I have no chance! :frown: I applied for St John Ambulance and I went to the meetings but like I felt like I was messed about because I didn't have my induction or anything and I've been waiting for over a year and a half now to do my first aid course!
But they did say that the system was all change and everything so they did have a lot to sort out!
I did a BTEC Advance Diploma Level 3 in Health and Social Care, I've been working in a care home for nearly 3 years now and I love it! I'm doing my NVQ level 3 right now with them, and they did say as soon as I finished I could do my level 5. So they are giving me experience for like a managers job. Don't get me wrong I love it and everything but my dream job is to be a paramedic!
But I feel like this isn't enough, plus I'm young, would that give me a less advantage because they will think I'm on mature enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by MissRisitas
Omg! I'm applying for 2014 but reading what you all put, it sounds like I have no chance! :frown: I applied for St John Ambulance and I went to the meetings but like I felt like I was messed about because I didn't have my induction or anything and I've been waiting for over a year and a half now to do my first aid course!
But they did say that the system was all change and everything so they did have a lot to sort out!
I did a BTEC Advance Diploma Level 3 in Health and Social Care, I've been working in a care home for nearly 3 years now and I love it! I'm doing my NVQ level 3 right now with them, and they did say as soon as I finished I could do my level 5. So they are giving me experience for like a managers job. Don't get me wrong I love it and everything but my dream job is to be a paramedic!
But I feel like this isn't enough, plus I'm young, would that give me a less advantage because they will think I'm on mature enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It does sound like you are being messed about a little as I started my first aid on my first day, and I was qualified in 3 weeks. I would ask them about it, but note that I live in Wales and St Johns Cymru is very separate to St John's in England so they may do it differently.
Reply 33
Hi,

I'm Harriet. I'm applying to BCU, Staffordshire and Coventry but convinced I wont get offers from either!

So far i've been working as a phlebotomist at a GP surgery for 3 years and have experience on the admin and reception side of the surgery too. I've got my GCSE equivalent in Maths and doing access to HE with the distance learning centre (so its all online).

I've been a first aider with St John Ambulance since about January and like some other people have mentioned, i was messed about a bit too but think its just something everyone has to put up with from them in the induction stage :/

I've also recently applied for my provisional C1 but don't know if i'll be able to afford it before September!

If anyone has applied previously and can give me some info in interviews etc it would be much appreciated :biggrin:
Hi folks

Ive just started at Edge Hill this year as a DipHE paramedic student, and one piece of advice is make sure you have a very very very good personal statement.

Good luck
Reply 35
Original post by katie331
Hi, I'm applying for 2014 entry and am looking to go to Swansea, Bournemouth, Plymouth, Surrey and Northampton. How is everyone getting on with their personal statement?
Katie :smile:

Hi Katie im applying to Bournemouth too Debbie
Hi all

I'm josh, currently a first year student at bournemouth so if I can answer any questions or help just let me know. I'm only 19 and straight out of 6th form so if anyone is in a similar situation and feeling they're inexperienced, don't because it can be done :smile:

Good luck with your applications everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by MissRisitas

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just to let you know that they are correct, st john have gone through the major changes of regionalisation, and they have made changes to their current roles so, although its annoying for you, its understandable why its taken so long. Hopefully you'll hear from them soon though as the changes have been in place for. While now
Reply 38
I am looking to study paramedicine in september 2014 also, but am worried about my age. Has anyone under 20 been sucessful? If so have you got any tips? Also which uni's did you get into? Thankyou.
Original post by TheRealMia
I am looking to study paramedicine in september 2014 also, but am worried about my age. Has anyone under 20 been sucessful? If so have you got any tips? Also which uni's did you get into? Thankyou.

Hey, I'm 19 and a first year paramedic student at bournemouth so you don't have to worry about your age. If you can show that you're mature and can cope with the job then your age won't be held against you.
I got offers from all 4 of the uni's I applied to so its do-able :smile:. Just make sure you prove that you understand the role and have a cracking personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending