Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)
    Note too that there's no such thing as "common law marriage" in the UK - it's a myth that people living together for so many years have the legal benefits (e.g. on death) of married couples.
    Indeed! I read a recent High Court case (I can't remember the names of the parties, something like Curran v Collins) that involved a woman who'd been in a relationship with a man for 35 years (since they were both teenagers), working in a kennel/cattery owned by the man, in a kind of partnership. At the end of the relationship, the law says that the woman was entitled to nothing, despite the huge amount of work the woman had contributed.

Harsh, but (as the judge pointed out), it is the law. Parliament has declined to extend rights to de facto couples (unlike comparable common law jurisdictions), despite recommendations by the law reform commission.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Tortious)
    I'm inclined to agree, although two things:

1) I'd say "same-sex couples". It's less informal, and also includes bisexuals dating members of their own sex (not just "gays"!)

2) Instead of saying "should same sex couples have the right to marry?", which implies that they're being "granted" a right, I'd ask whether "marriage" is necessary, or whether civil partnership does/should suffice. It's slightly academic now that same-sex civil marriage has been legalised, but it might be interesting to consider the similarities/differences nonetheless.
    Aye, I second both these points. Particularly the second, given that for the UK part of the debate was concerning whether civil partnerships negated the need for same-sex marriage

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou everyone, I deffinately see a side to what everyone is saying, it's been a lot of help, maybe it is better to steer away from LGBT and more towards marriage, I will collect more information and swap my essay around, until I deffinately feel it is right xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.