Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Very low calorie diets = longer life? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I read that the Mediterranean & Japanese life spans were longer than us in the Western world a while ago. This was put down to their diets generally being considerably better than ours, they eat lots of fresh vegetables, fish and generally more natural and nutritious foods.

Perhaps they eat less as the average vegetable/rice/couscous/polenta dish, or plate of sushi is more filling than a plate of chips or half a pizza? Sorry for the stereotypes, but you get what I'm saying.

So yeah, I don't think this theory is accurate as it's purposely ignoring a lot of the facts. Quantity over quality? I think not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    Well the Japanese don't eat a lot of calories and they have a high life expectancy. Also Holocaust survivors despite being starved have had higher life expectancy than Jews who avoided the Holocaust.
    proof on the holocaust survivors?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jd1997)
    proof on the holocaust survivors?
    Since you are too lazy to use google...

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0069179

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sloaney Pony)
    Read this online but failing to see the logic in it.

Surely there's a good chance you'd just starve?

Can you even exercise properly eating so little?

(This doesn't just mean slim healthy people living longer, I mean those who actually eat a ridiculously low amount of calories)
    Doubt it. Eating too little for prolonged periods of time would just slow down everything – metabolism, digestion, etc – and you'd likely end up underweight, too.

Besides, it's even worse if you're under 25 – your brain is still developing, etc.

I'm very skeptical of anyone who promotes low-calorie diets, anyway. Quality is what matters, not quantity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    Since you are too lazy to use google...

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0069179
    I only had time to scim over that article but it doesn't seem to suggest that the Holocaust survivors lived longer because they were starved...

This thread reminds me of farms.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by xbethany)
      I only had time to scim over that article but it doesn't seem to suggest that the Holocaust survivors lived longer because they were starved...
      I never explicitly stated that the article said that they lived longer due to being starved, I was just providing it as proof that holocaust survivors on average lived longer. The fact they were starved could have contributed to their long life, but as the article points out there are many variables to take into account.

Anyhow recent research is a bit sketchy on whether a low calorie diet is key to a longer life. There is yet to be a consensus reached in science. http://www.the-scientist.com/?articl...t-Live-Longer/

ReputationRep:
      Starvation = inhibition of mTOR pathway = reduced ageing (mainly due to reduced protein synthesis etc). In my opinion, there are many ways to enhance longevity and starving ones self puts that right at the bottom of my list.

ReputationRep:
      A life of being small and weak! The negatives out weigh the positives for me.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SteveBlade)
      I read that the Mediterranean & Japanese life spans were longer than us in the Western world a while ago. This was put down to their diets generally being considerably better than ours, they eat lots of fresh vegetables, fish and generally more natural and nutritious foods.

Perhaps they eat less as the average vegetable/rice/couscous/polenta dish, or plate of sushi is more filling than a plate of chips or half a pizza? Sorry for the stereotypes, but you get what I'm saying.

So yeah, I don't think this theory is accurate as it's purposely ignoring a lot of the facts. Quantity over quality? I think not.
      They're also small and weak! Red meat eating, massive portion American's= biggest and strongest people on the planet.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by McHumpy92)
      They're also small and weak! Red meat eating, massive portion American's= biggest and strongest people on the planet.
      O rly

ReputationRep:
      It depends on diet as well, as in what you eat and when, read into Milkha Singh. But personally i'm not up for that, its too strict a regime.

ReputationRep:
      I'm doing the 5:2 diet which is basically two days eating 500 calories, the rest you eat normal, dont cut anything out

I'm finding it much easier to stick to than your run of the mill eat 1200 calories all week, I don't feel restricted or even like I'm on a diet

Yeah the fast days can be hard but it's only two days

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.