Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-Sophie-x)
    There is only a little difference, dont be so disheartened! If you're looking for the better uni for engineering, Cambridge definitely beats Oxford though.

I prefer Oxford as a city though which is annoying

Ah nice

Are you a 2014 applicant then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh right, fair enough. :P And yeah, I'm a 2014 applicant. I like both cities: Oxford is awesome and lively, and Cambridge is very pretty indeed.

I have definitely settled on Oxford now, as I have just bought the answers to the PAT past papers. Thank you for your advice though everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge's broad-based approach to teaching engineering is more suited to the demands of the modern world, as opposed to the overly specialized courses at Imperial or Manchester. Just look at the liberal arts model followed by the top schools in the US - it is evident that being a master of one thing no longer prepares one adequately for a job. Besides, as far as I know, the depth of the courses at Oxbridge will not be compromised for breadth. Despite the shorter years specializing in ChemE, the speed at which material is taught is so quick at Oxbridge that the Oxbridge engineer would be at the same level as the Imperial/Manchester engineer by the end of the course, perhaps even further. Moreover the unique supervision/tutorial system at Oxbridge gives students the personal attention that they deserve, unlike at Imperial where the professor may never know your name, and the primary mode of teaching is through lectures.
    If you look at the entry tariffs for the universities, Cambridge's entry tariff beats Imperial by 50 points, and Manchester by 100 points (http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...%20Engineering). There is no doubt that the people going into Cambridge are more competent to begin with, on average, and companies know that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.