Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paenitet Sugatis)
    So i'm in an accelerated program where i'll be done with my IB Diploma by the end of this year (Junior Year). I was wondering, knowing that i need at least a 38 overall with 6,6,6 on my Hl for Oxford Law, is there anything else that I will need other then my IB scores?
    No, your overall IB score and diploma should be enough. But if you're doing academics other than the IB, they are worth mentioning (AP classes, for example).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPark9625)
    I do believe it instantly disqualifies the OP from getting a place. The requirement is called a "requirement" for a reason. The only way for him to be successful is to change his math into HL and get a 7 in it, but changing a subject this late it inadvisable and getting a 7 after a year of study in SL is not impossible, but improbable.

Honestly, if the "requirement" states 6 or above in math HL, how is OP going to achieve that by taking math SL?? Even people who do take Math HL get declined if they get anything below a 6 in Math HL, and if OP is there taking Math SL, well good luck.

At the end of the day, it's OP's decision, but if I were him, I would not go against the improbable.

To your last point, I agree there's no harm in trying, but when it carries cost (using up one university choice), which is too high compared to the possibility of it actually happening, I wouldn't advise it. Remember, there are over a thousand applicants who do take Math HL and get a 7 in it.

I like you encouraging people to give it a go and believe in themselves, but this is not really when you should do so...
    Fair enough, I have no idea what the acceptance rate is like for E&M Applicants who did not take Maths HL and it might not be good to raise hopes too much.

My experience with the application process though, lead me to believe that universities do not always conform strictly to the stated requirements. I applied for 3 universities which stated Maths HL as one of their requirements (I take Maths SL). One rejected me outright on that basis, but the other two were a little more flexible. You never know how things will turn out unless you try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pirozhki)
    Fair enough, I have no idea what the acceptance rate is like for E&M Applicants who did not take Maths HL and it might not be good to raise hopes too much.

My experience with the application process though, lead me to believe that universities do not always conform strictly to the stated requirements. I applied for 3 universities which stated Maths HL as one of their requirements (I take Maths SL). One rejected me outright on that basis, but the other two were a little more flexible. You never know how things will turn out unless you try.
    Oh never knew that.
    But if you look at the 2013 A level results discussion thread, there are quite a lot of people who didn't get the required grades (A*AA required and achieved AAA, for example) and all of them couldn't get into oxford on that basis. That's why I thought if the OP takes math SL to begin with, he wouldn't stand a chance.

For E&M, the figure is about 1,100 applicants, around 330 interviews and 80-90 places. According to 2012 statistics, E&M is the most competitive course at oxford.

ReputationRep:
    For E&M, the figure is about 1,100 applicants, around 330 interviews and 80-90 places. According to 2012 statistics, E&M is the most competitive course at oxford.
    How about for other universities that require Math HL: Warwick, UCL, LSE?
    Do I have any chance at those? or is it the same story?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mlofkvist)
    How about for other universities that require Math HL: Warwick, UCL, LSE?
    Do I have any chance at those? or is it the same story?
    I have no clue. I applied to all of them, but as my main focus is oxford, I didn't really look into them. But LSE looks competitive as well, so you should email them and see what they say.

But for any competitive university, you need to bear in mind that they will have plenty enough candidates that do achieve the requirements.

ReputationRep:

Wait... Didn't you get an offer from oxford? I remember seeing your name on a thread last year :P
    So you got an offer for E&M at oxford without Math HL??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paenitet Sugatis)
    So i'm in an accelerated program where i'll be done with my IB Diploma by the end of this year (Junior Year). I was wondering, knowing that i need at least a 38 overall with 6,6,6 on my Hl for Oxford Law, is there anything else that I will need other then my IB scores?
    Careful! The typical offer as far as I'm aware is 38 with 766 at least. (As far as your application goes, try to do some extra-curricular reading in legal areas you might be interested in.)

ReputationRep:
    Wait... Didn't you get an offer from oxford? I remember seeing your name on a thread last year :P
    So you got an offer for E&M at oxford without Math HL??
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    Can I ask what college? Rather circumspect of this as the Department has an explicit policy on this that all tutors have to adhere to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SC96)
    I would like to start this thread to get an idea of the points range for people who applied and got in to Oxford University with the International Baccalaureate (IB), preferably for Law, but also for any other subject! This would really help the international student community as there is a huge focus on A-Levels in most threads...

1) How many predicted points did you apply with out of 45? (not what you achieved in exams)

2) What subject did you apply for?

3) Did you get interviewed, rejected, accepted?

Thank-you in advance to all who decide to participate!

Edit: Anyone can reply to this, even if you were accepted before 2013! Older students are also welcome to provide us with this helpful information!

If there is already an active and effective thread for this purpose, I apologise.

Hey man,

You're almost identical to me! I'm going for Law and Spanish at St Johns, and I'm predicted 43 points too!

Have you sat your LNAT? I took it last Friday, but not sure how my grades will turn out. Really nervous for sending off the application because with all this effort they might just say "Hah no."

Have you written your personal statement yet? Filled out UCAS?

Wil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SC96)
    I would like to start this thread to get an idea of the points range for people who applied and got in to Oxford University with the International Baccalaureate (IB), preferably for Law, but also for any other subject! This would really help the international student community as there is a huge focus on A-Levels in most threads...

1) How many predicted points did you apply with out of 45? (not what you achieved in exams)

2) What subject did you apply for?

3) Did you get interviewed, rejected, accepted?

Thank-you in advance to all who decide to participate!

Edit: Anyone can reply to this, even if you were accepted before 2013! Older students are also welcome to provide us with this helpful information!

If there is already an active and effective thread for this purpose, I apologise.
    And also, to answer your question, a guy in my school got in with this:

1. Predicted 42
    2. Accepted for History
    3. Accepted

He eventually got 44, and got into Oxford. He's still there now.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

I have predicted a 42 total and want to apply to engineering science.
    I have 7 predicted in math HL, but 6 in physics HL, while they ask for a 7 in math and 7 in physics.
    Does this mean i won't even be considered regardless of how i do on the PAT?

ReputationRep:
    1) Predicted 42, applying in my gap yah, got 38:
    English A Language and Literature HL - 7
    Italian B HL - 6
    Business and Management HL - 6
    Environmental Systems and Societies SL - 6
    Maths Studies SL - 6
    Chemistry SL - 6
    (missed the bonus points, extended essay got C, tok B)
    Overall I was disappointed because throughout the year I did so much better than predicted and then the exams just :hmmmm2::confused::mad:
    But I'm kinda over it now.

2) Modern Languages and Linguistics

3) Applied yesterday, we'll have to wait and see. I have a good personal statement and reference, I'm worried about the grades. But my God is bigger than my problems :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BartuKaleagasi)
    I've never heard of this before, what are you basing this on? Opinion? Not only is Economics a highly regarded subject, and a challenging one, but it is so interlinked with Business & Management that taking the two courses together makes a lot of sense for someone who is interested in that area of life. I don't even want to think of how I would evaluate business decisions without economic knowledge, or assess Theory of the Firm in Economics without my experience from Business analysis.

Why would universities ever frown upon this?

I do agree about Environmental Sciences though...
    ...our school don't even allow you to take Econ AND B&M because they say over the (20) years they have been doing IB they have found too many unis don't like it. I don't know anything about the content of these courses, I just know its one of the school 'rules'

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.