Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly1984)
    Don't worry about age! I was born in 84 and am off to Uni in September and I can't wait! It doesn't bother me I'm probably one of the oldest. I can still act like an 18 year old if I want to!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    good for you! where are headed for uni?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about age! I was born in 84 and am off to Uni in September and I can't wait! It doesn't bother me I'm probably one of the oldest. I can still act like an 18 year old if I want to!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was born in 87 and I'm starting in Sept too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Freshers week is probably the most over-rated experience of university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annaothilie)
    Are most people this age, or is it normal to take a gap year? Because I'm born in 93, and don't want to be the oldest in my class.
    Yes that's normal. I'm a year older than the '95 lot but I think about 25% of new freshers at my Uni are also my age. Gap years are very common and normal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordVoldemort1)
    Ah now see, here is where the problem is. In my religion, I can't drink. It's completely forbidden.
    So I'm a little reluctant about going to freshers week. If I don't drink etc etc won't I be, well, pretty much left out?
    No just drink coke or whatever! I don't drink very often and usually just have lemonade or even tap water haha! If you're at a club where the music is good (an indie night or something) you will have lots of fun, and pubs is just chatting so that's fun anyway too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladynova)
    good for you! where are headed for uni?
    Off to Cardiff I can't wait now!

For the OP don't worry about not drinking, there are many other fun things to do on freshers. Have a look at clubs and societies they are a great way to meet people.

You can still go out and If people don't like the fact you don't drink then in my book they aren't worth knowing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If any fresher cannot consume a yard in a strong time, be prepared for punishments!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    There's loads of things going on in fresher's week besides people going out and getting drunk. You'll need be there to enrol, probably have at least one course meeting to attend, freshers fair (where you sign up for sports and societies and get free food), there will probably be other daytime events on too, and often courses host some kind of course meet up during the week. Also it's a chance to get to know your flat mates when you aren't all busy and running off to lectures, and generally just orientate yourself. I wouldn't advise not going unless it's absolutely unavoidable, and you'd need to find some way to enroll and pick up your uni id at the very least.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha I'm not at all! Being a year or two older is hardly going to be noticeable anyway, just trying to reassure the other poster.
    Good for you! Hope you have a great time!

ReputationRep:
    At my uni most people went clubbing during freshers but for those who didn't like clubbing later weeks offered the opportunity to meet others in the same boat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Wolf Taima)
    I went one day to enrol, stood outside by myself for a bit went home. I came back another day because my mother insisted I use the time to get to know the building/people/tutors etc.

I spent hours in the toilets in agony having a miscarriage, then had to hobble home with my coat tied around my waist to cover any stains.

I'm pretty sure whatever you do or if you just dont go it's not going to be worse than that so don't worry about it.
    Wow thats so awful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Staceyc1990)
    Wow thats so awful
    Yeah... I'm sorry if I brought the tone of the thread down with my sudden need to share that. I recently had to write an essay about my first days at Uni and that was literally all I could think about and it's been on my mind since :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Wolf Taima)
    Yeah... I'm sorry if I brought the tone of the thread down with my sudden need to share that. I recently had to write an essay about my first days at Uni and that was literally all I could think about and it's been on my mind since :/
    Dont be silly, i'm sure nobody minds. It's just a horrible thing to go through. I hope your okay now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordVoldemort1)
    Ah now see, here is where the problem is. In my religion, I can't drink. It's completely forbidden.
    So I'm a little reluctant about going to freshers week. If I don't drink etc etc won't I be, well, pretty much left out?
    You know it's possible to go out and not drink I mean just off the top of my head you have stuff like:

coke,sprite,fanta etc,etc

mocktails (cocktails without the alcohol)

J2O

Ginger beer

some of these J2O and the mocktails (also called virgin cocktails) come in many different variates so that's no reason not to go clubbing or for a drink down the pub.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.