Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mozzat)
    Although I am not probably qualified to really post on this - bearing in mind I have just completely failed my AS levels. In the past two days I have spent a lot of time with my Deputy Head. I have witnessed the comings and goings of numerous pupils with similar problems - can i ask how close are you to a B? If its only a few marks would you consider a priority remark? Its not too late. Alternatively get your script back and see where you went wrong and look at how you could rectify this and spend time doing something constructive towards your course. Speak to the uni and see if they might defer your entry if you hit the grade or, alternatively get an adjustment through remark. Its only an option though. However Sheffield is a great uni and believe me when I say I dream of your grades.
    Umm I have ABB so if you mean how close I am to an A I think in Politics I'm 6/7 UMS of. I thought of a priority re-mark but I actually thought the exam went so awful I was expecting a C/D in A2, so when I saw that I had an A and a B at A2 I was pretty relieved. I sortof just accepted I had a B grade, hoping that my Philosophy grade may comeback an A. My philosophy is a solid B, nowhere near an A so not worth a re-mark. I think I might be taking to big of a risk getting it re-marked.

Yeah I thought of deferring a year too and re-taking a couple modules, but I am already a year behind because I did not go straight into A-Levels at 16. If I take another year out that would make me 20 going into university. (Ok I know it's not the end of the world but I can't imagine it's that fun to be 20 with 18 year old freshers). Thanks for your suggestions though! As you can see I'm in a pretty tight corner so I'm actually pretty thankful for my Sheffield offer now.

Don't worry about failing your AS levels! AS levels are just a massive wake-up call for most and they do not determine what you can achieve at all. In my first January set I got BBB and then in June I got ABD leaving me with ACC grades overall. I was so so upset as I was predicted AAB. Pretty sure my teachers and family lost faith in me completely, yet I worked my butt of at A2 and got all As & Bs and re-took my AS levels so they are now ABB. You can do it don't worry ! Thanks for your suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i-love-coffee)
    Umm I have ABB so if you mean how close I am to an A I think in Politics I'm 6/7 UMS of. I thought of a priority re-mark but I actually thought the exam went so awful I was expecting a C/D in A2, so when I saw that I had an A and a B at A2 I was pretty relieved. I sortof just accepted I had a B grade, hoping that my Philosophy grade may comeback an A. My philosophy is a solid B, nowhere near an A so not worth a re-mark. I think I might be taking to big of a risk getting it re-marked.

Yeah I thought of deferring a year too and re-taking a couple modules, but I am already a year behind because I did not go straight into A-Levels at 16. If I take another year out that would make me 20 going into university. (Ok I know it's not the end of the world but I can't imagine it's that fun to be 20 with 18 year old freshers). Thanks for your suggestions though! As you can see I'm in a pretty tight corner so I'm actually pretty thankful for my Sheffield offer now.

Don't worry about failing your AS levels! AS levels are just a massive wake-up call for most and they do not determine what you can achieve at all. In my first January set I got BBB and then in June I got ABD leaving me with ACC grades overall. I was so so upset as I was predicted AAB. Pretty sure my teachers and family lost faith in me completely, yet I worked my butt of at A2 and got all As & Bs and re-took my AS levels so they are now ABB. You can do it don't worry ! Thanks for your suggestions.
    This will make absolutely NO difference and they won't all be 18 either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nitrogen)
    Now I have an offer from Sheffield to study Chemistry, but I feel I could do better.
    Sheffield is a great university! I'm predicted A*AA for next year, but since going on the open day, decided that I want to go to Sheffield, even though the entry requirements are only AAB. It has a really nice atmosphere and the chemistry department is amazing, you're really lucky to get an offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    This will make absolutely NO difference and they won't all be 18 either.
    It will to me... I'll just feel a bit out of place, and people will ask me why it took me four years to get from GCSE to University haha.

It's not just that... I want to be a lawyer which requires basically 2 years of post-grad work before I'm qualified. If I wait til 20, thats 24 when I finish (4 yr year-abroad degree) then 26 before I'm finally fully qualified... and that's assuming everything runs smoothly between courses and training contracts which it won't.

Furthermore, I can't bear living at home another year I think if I could move out and do a re-take year then maybe I'd consider it more seriously

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield is absolutely amazing for chemistry. I am connected within the chemistry world and I can tell you that Sheffield chemistry department is very highly regarded. On the whole Sheffield is a very highly regarded university in itself. Honestly once you're in the RG you should stop caring about trying to level up.

ReputationRep:
    It will to me... I'll just feel a bit out of place, and people will ask me why it took me four years to get from GCSE to University haha.

It's not just that... I want to be a lawyer which requires basically 2 years of post-grad work before I'm qualified. If I wait til 20, thats 24 when I finish (4 yr year-abroad degree) then 26 before I'm finally fully qualified... and that's assuming everything runs smoothly between courses and training contracts which it won't.

Furthermore, I can't bear living at home another year I think if I could move out and do a re-take year then maybe I'd consider it more seriously
    Well, if i can't convince you then I can't. Good luck with whatever you decide.

ReputationRep:
    Basically I didn't get into my firm, which was UCL, and I had no insurance. I had an offer of AAB and I achieved AAC. I got an A in Chemistry, Maths, and a C in Economics. Im not unhappy with my results and in fact I'm quite proud of them especially the A in Maths; however the C in Economics is holding me back so much.

AAC is one of the worst combination of grades you could get. With the cap being ABB, AAC is useless. When I phoned one uni to display my interest in one of their courses in clearing they asked me for my grades. I told them my grades and the uni rejected me straight away saying they do not accept anyone with C grades. The most frustrating thing was they did not even ask me what subjects I achieved the grades in. They wanted ABB including Chemistry just to make matters clear. Economics was in no way related to the course too.

Clearing so far has been a horrible experience, its basically something for people who has ABB or higher. I would not say my grades are bad, but I just feel that many people who has got ABB in less respectable subjects than me are getting places that I would not have a chance getting simply because they have ABB.

Now I have an offer from Sheffield to study Chemistry, but I feel I could do better. Im unsure whether I should go to Sheffield or spend another year in college, but if I spend a year in college what should I study? If I was to spend an extra year in college I would only try and improve my Economics grade since I already have 2A's in the other subjects. To qualify as a full time student I have to study at least study 3 subjects. There will be little point in studying AS subjects since I doubt they would form a part of an offer if I was to apply next year. The only subject I thought I could do was Further Maths as I could get a whole A-Level in a year. If I do an extra year a lot of problems will come with it too e.g No January exams next year, unis might give me higher offers, I cannot guarantee getting better results for economics, and I don't know if I could get a good grade for Further Maths especially when I'll have to do all 6 maths exams in the summer.

I thought to myself that I could do well in my first year in Sheffield then transfer universities, but then I realised that it would be such a hard thing to do since the chemistry modules at Sheffield are quite unique and it will have to be similar to the modules the university I want to transfer to are offering. Not to mention that some may be strict on their A-Level requirements.

Basically those are the only options I have and I think I have evaluated them quite throughly. Im in a dilemma. Can anyone give me any advice or just their opinion? It will be greatly appreciated.
    Please I urge you to take your place at Sheffield. Sheffield is a fantastic university. You do not know what the future holds, so you should not think that if you take a gap year you will get the grade. After the first degree at Sheffield, you can always study at UCL for a postgrad. Please do not gamble away your opportunities.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Well, if i can't convince you then I can't. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    oh god don't try because i'm easily persuaded.. I want to go to Bristol/Exeter so bad and tbh I probably would take another year out to do it if I could live away, but it's just not a possibility... finally decided on going Sheffield.. just have to stick with it now!

ReputationRep:

Thank you for your kind words. If you had failed as big time as me, you probably wouldn't be quite so optimistic.

May be its worth getting the scripts back and seeing where you could improve/if its worth improving, I have friends and family who did this and reinforced their a levels with work experience and working within their choice of subject and have gone on to great uni's and jobs (some as old as 23 when then went to uni). However you do have an amazing alternative in Sheffield.
    One thing I would say is that a friend dropped out of Durham (it was his insurance) this year after a year, he couldn't get over missing his firm - for lots of reasons and has just landed a college/school leavers apprenticeship with PwC in London! There are alternatives to everything if you want it badly enough.

ReputationRep:
    finally decided on going Sheffield.. just have to stick with it now!
    Congratulations on your place

Good luck for next year

ReputationRep:
    You've mentioned doing an extra year at school/college to retake, and other posters have suggested simply retaking the end of year exam. Before you choose this option have a thought about how you will feel staying on another year after your friends have all left for university. How well do you get on with the year below? they are about to be your new best friends. If you don't get on with those students, it may be really hard for you to stay motivated for the whole year. If you lose interest, your grades may not improve leaving you in the same place as you are at present, but with a C twice to show for it.
    If you know that you are a really strong, motivated person and are absolutely certain that you can hack another 3 terms at college, perhaps living at home when all your mates are at uni, then go for it. Otherwise, consider the offer from Sheffield again.

...Now I have an offer from Sheffield to study Chemistry, but I feel I could do better. Im unsure whether I should go to Sheffield or spend another year in college, but if I spend a year in college what should I study? If I was to spend an extra year in college I would only try and improve my Economics grade since I already have 2A's in the other subjects. To qualify as a full time student I have to study at least study 3 subjects. There will be little point in studying AS subjects since I doubt they would form a part of an offer if I was to apply next year. The only subject I thought I could do was Further Maths as I could get a whole A-Level in a year. If I do an extra year a lot of problems will come with it too e.g No January exams next year, unis might give me higher offers, I cannot guarantee getting better results for economics, and I don't know if I could get a good grade for Further Maths especially when I'll have to do all 6 maths exams in the summer.

I thought to myself that I could do well in my first year in Sheffield then transfer universities, but then I realised that it would be such a hard thing to do since the chemistry modules at Sheffield are quite unique and it will have to be similar to the modules the university I want to transfer to are offering. Not to mention that some may be strict on their A-Level requirements.

Basically those are the only options I have and I think I have evaluated them quite throughly. Im in a dilemma. Can anyone give me any advice or just their opinion? It will be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:

You mean you can't wait until you're 26 to be on forty grand per annum? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    You mean you can't wait until you're 26 to be on forty grand per annum? :eek:
    :/ omg do I re-take a year? I'M NEVER GOING TO COME TO A DECISION :confused::confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    oh god don't try because i'm easily persuaded.. I want to go to Bristol/Exeter so bad and tbh I probably would take another year out to do it if I could live away, but it's just not a possibility... finally decided on going Sheffield.. just have to stick with it now!
    Come back in two months' time and tell me if you regret it. You'll have forgotten Bristol and Exeter exist. Sheffield is a very friendly, comfortable city and you'll fit right in.

ReputationRep:
    AAC is one of the worst combination of grades you could get. With the cap being ABB, AAC is useless. When I phoned one uni to display my interest in one of their courses in clearing they asked me for my grades. I told them my grades and the uni rejected me straight away saying they do not accept anyone with C grades. The most frustrating thing was they did not even ask me what subjects I achieved the grades in. They wanted ABB including Chemistry just to make matters clear. Economics was in no way related to the course too.
    Just FYI, as I understand it AAC is equivalent to ABB in terms of student number controls (according to this table on the UCAS site). Of course, there may be unis who just don't want people with Cs, but AAC doesn't automatically put you out of contention for unis that are seeking to recruit additional ABB+ students.

ReputationRep:
    Im in such a similar situation to you! I missed my Law offers for Bristol/Exeter (AAB) because I got ABB. I've had my heart set on going to both of those places for the whole two years of A Levels. However, I got into Sheffield to do Law but I'm not satisfied.

Don't get me wrong, Sheffield is an amazing university but if I'm going to university I want it to feel like an achievement rather than a compromise because I couldn't go where I want to. All my family think I'm crazy for even debating whether I should go or not. I think I'm going to go but I'm also seriously considering re-taking a year.
    I went to Sheffield having missed my grades for Exeter. Admittedly it was a few years ago (leans on zimmer, adjusts hearing aid) but I had a brilliant time there. The city is compact so doesn't feel intimidating (and surrounded by gorgeous countryside!) but big enough to have plenty of life. I made fantastic friends there, most of whom did law and have all done very well for themselves!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogwalker)
    I went to Sheffield having missed my grades for Exeter. Admittedly it was a few years ago (leans on zimmer, adjusts hearing aid) but I had a brilliant time there. The city is compact so doesn't feel intimidating (and surrounded by gorgeous countryside!) but big enough to have plenty of life. I made fantastic friends there, most of whom did law and have all done very well for themselves!
    Really? Thank you so much, it's nice to hear from people who have actually been there! Did any of them get training contracts etc?

ReputationRep:
    Basically I didn't get into my firm, which was UCL, and I had no insurance. I had an offer of AAB and I achieved AAC. I got an A in Chemistry, Maths, and a C in Economics. Im not unhappy with my results and in fact I'm quite proud of them especially the A in Maths; however the C in Economics is holding me back so much.

Clearing so far has been a horrible experience, its basically something for people who has ABB or higher. I would not say my grades are bad, but I just feel that many people who has got ABB in less respectable subjects than me are getting places that I would not have a chance getting simply because they have ABB.

Now I have an offer from Sheffield to study Chemistry, but I feel I could do better. Im unsure whether I should go to Sheffield or spend another year in college, but if I spend a year in college what should I study? If I was to spend an extra year in college I would only try and improve my Economics grade since I already have 2A's in the other subjects. To qualify as a full time student I have to study at least study 3 subjects. There will be little point in studying AS subjects since I doubt they would form a part of an offer if I was to apply next year. The only subject I thought I could do was Further Maths as I could get a whole A-Level in a year. If I do an extra year a lot of problems will come with it too e.g No January exams next year, unis might give me higher offers, I cannot guarantee getting better results for economics, and I don't know if I could get a good grade for Further Maths especially when I'll have to do all 6 maths exams in the summer.

Maybe you should look at other unis, I got into a uni through clearing with a D and two Es so if there are places that will take you with grades as **** as mine so there must be places that will take yours which are pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so basically I'm in a similar position, albeit with much lower grades and i was wondering if anyone had any advice. I took Eng Lit, Maths and Biology at A-Level and was predicted an ABB. I didn't enjoy my my science subjects as I chose them for the wrong reasons (wanted to be vet but couldn't) but I decided to continue with the subjects as I simply needed a grade. I applied to uni to do English Literature with Sheffield AAB (they sometimes let borderline grades in) with Stirling first year entry BCC as my insurance. I ended up getting BCC and got into Stirling though I really thought I could have achieved the ABB.

I revisited Stirling but was unsure about whether i would realistically want to live there for four years. So I could resit all my subject however resitting A levels would put me at a disadvantage when reapplying next year, and they may want higher grades that i simply couldn't get. Basically I have no idea what to do!!!

ReputationRep:

The partner in the next office had a son at university before he qualified as a solicitor. The one in the office beyond that has no degree. The solicitor two doors away in the opposite direction had kids doing GCSEs when he qualified. One of my partners at the other side of the building has an Ivy League education; one on the floor below has a degree, which to call it Mickey Mouse, would be insulting to Walt Disney.

And we have trainee solicitors from both UCL and Sheffield.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.