Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k1rby)
    If Leicester is one of your top choices then do it. If it's your 4th choice and you'd have better odds of getting an interview elsewhere then at least consider it? Last year 57 points was enough though
    I like Leicester but it is a big risk. I think I'll just do some more researching before I make any final decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k1rby)
    You're probably right as I heard about 57+ from TSR so not really reliable you could email to confirm because if that's true then you'd probably be safe applying.
    Cheers for the response. So what do you think I should email ? Asking what exactly ?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t()m)
    Cheers for the response. So what do you think I should email ? Asking what exactly ?
    Something like..

"Dear medicine admissions,
    I am considering applying for 2014 entry to the A100 course and would like to know what the overall academic + UKCAT score cut-offs (out of 60) were for pre-interview selection in the previous UCAS cycle. Which scores out of 60 then had their personal statement scored? Also, did the cut-off differ for those with a contextual flags?
    Many thanks,
    Name"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k1rby)
    Something like..

"Dear medicine admissions,
    I am considering applying for 2014 entry to the A100 course and would like to know what the overall academic + UKCAT score cut-offs (out of 60) were for pre-interview selection in the previous UCAS cycle. Which scores out of 60 then had their personal statement scored? Also, did the cut-off differ for those with a contextual flags?
    Many thanks,
    Name"
    Are you sure they do stuff with the PS I really don't think they do cause they said that often people reach interview and Ps is first looked at there, they said this numerous times on open day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t()m)
    Are you sure they do stuff with the PS I really don't think they do cause they said that often people reach interview and Ps is first looked at there, they said this numerous times on open day.

They say they rank borderline applicants out of 30 on personal statement and reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    They say they rank borderline applicants out of 30 on personal statement and reference.
    Oh ok cheers do you know what score is ' borderline' ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t()m)
    Oh ok cheers do you know what score is ' borderline' ?

Can't say for sure, but I assume it'll be those who are just underachieving the point needed for interview

ReputationRep:
    Can't say for sure, but I assume it'll be those who are just underachieving the point needed for interview
    Dw I ll email them after results day

ReputationRep:
    Can't find on their website were it says the Ps thing can you link me please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t()m)
    page 5 - it says "where approppriate" but I'm sure I've read somewhere they use it for borderline appliicants
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdfLeic-Scoring-of-Applications[1].pdf (192.9 KB, 186 views)

ReputationRep:
    page 5 - it says "where approppriate" but I'm sure I've read somewhere they use it for borderline appliicants
    Cheers ok I am going to prob email them and ask for last few years cut off and also what is 'borderline' and therefore what score requires the PS to be looked at.

Also don't want to be the messenger of bad news but if i was you I would check whether you get 27/30 for your ukcat.

The document you attached and the update 2014 document both say
    3000+ = 30/30
    2900+= 29/30
    2800+=28/30
    2700+ = 27/30
    Etc

To me I would say that you actually have to get 2701 to get 27 points and therefore 2699 and 2700 are adjudged the same and given 26, as they arent above 2700. I don't want to be right hope I am wrong for your sake but I would definitely check with them, just to be sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t()m)
    Cheers ok I am going to prob email them and ask for last few years cut off and also what is 'borderline' and therefore what score requires the PS to be looked at.

Also don't want to be the messenger of bad news but if i was you I would check whether you get 27/30 for your ukcat.

The document you attached and the update 2014 document both say
    3000+ = 30/30
    2900+= 29/30
    2800+=28/30
    2700+ = 27/30
    Etc

To me I would say that you actually have to get 2701 to get 27 points and therefore 2699 and 2700 are adjudged the same and given 26, as they arent above 2700. I don't want to be right hope I am wrong for your sake but I would definitely check with them, just to be sure.
    I'll definitely check with them, but I dunno, when I read it, I read it as "2700 or more" I'll definitely call them up though about it.

ReputationRep:
    I'll definitely check with them, but I dunno, when I read it, I read it as "2700 or more" I'll definitely call them up though about it.
    To me 2700 or more would be 2700 +/= the key being the =. I am not trying to be annoying or put you off, just don't want you to be mis informed. Your right though they aren't extremely clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t()m)
    To me 2700 or more would be 2700 +/= the key being the =. I am not trying to be annoying or put you off, just don't want you to be mis informed. Your right though they aren't extremely clear.

I get what you're saying, I dunno though, it seems weird that they'd do it like that, but I'll check with them first before I make any final decisions.

ReputationRep:
    I get what you're saying, I dunno though, it seems weird that they'd do it like that, but I'll check with them first before I make any final decisions.
    Cool any other thoughts on where else ? You Said Sheffield and maybe notts before didn't you ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t()m)
    Cool any other thoughts on where else ? You Said Sheffield and maybe notts before didn't you ?

Yep, although Nottingham is a bit of a risk since they assess individual sections. I'm looking at Manchester and Liverpool as well, can't make final decisions until results. How about you?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t()m)
    Link to the website version: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/msc...100Scoring.pdf

Following scoring of academic ability and UKCAT, applicants will be ranked. The highest ranked applicants will be invited for interview. The lowest ranked applicants will not be considered further. The personal statement and reference will be used to allow us to distinguish between borderline applicants (see 1.5).
    Assessment of Personal Qualities
    The personal statement and reference may be used (see 1.4) to generate a combined score out of 30, giving a total score for Personal Qualities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t()m)

Thought I'd let you know 2,700 does indeed score 27 points

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd let you know 2,700 does indeed score 27 points
    Yey!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t()m)
    Yey!

I'm actually really lucky I just about got that score. Are you definitely applying here then?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.