Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why does the university system actively discriminate against Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    That's not really what I've experienced so far, but I suppose it is dependent on the university you go to. Without trying to sound like a ****, it's no surprise the kind of universities with lower entry requirements are going to be more focused on the social aspects than academically stimulating students as much as possible.
    No it's at higher ranked universities too, especially in halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibbit)
    Almost everything judges you partly based on you're social skills.

The OP is acting like they are not legitimate skills
    There are reasons why someone may not have good social skills, treating them like crap won't help (that wasn't directed to you). And it depends what is meant by social skills tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be fair: it's not exclusively universities to blame. They are just a product of a culture that doesn't understand or care about people with mental differences. Nobody cares for longer than it takes to brush the problem under the nearest rug.

It's all very well saying the uni will give you a counselor, but what if the sufferer doesn't yet know they have autism? the majority of sufferers don't know until they reach adulthood. You don't know that, of course, because you don't care.

What help is there for those people? None.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by universityisobso)
    I'll be fair: it's not exclusively universities to blame. They are just a product of a culture that doesn't understand or care about people with mental differences. Nobody cares for longer than it takes to brush the problem under the nearest rug.

It's all very well saying the uni will give you a counselor, but what if the sufferer doesn't yet know they have autism? the majority of sufferers don't know until they reach adulthood. You don't know that, of course, because you don't care.

What help is there for those people? None.
    Stop trolling. You have no idea who I am, what my situation is or what challenges I've faced, so how dare you put me down and say I don't know or care?

At least I have the self-belief and determination to have gained a place at university. And I did it myself, without complaining about my lot in life, without making excuses and without playing the victim for a sympathy vote.

If you insist on believing yourself to be a victim, I'm not surprised you would struggle, regardless of the challenges you face.

ReputationRep:
    I think you will struggle in life if you keep flying off the handle like that.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing like an unsubstantiated over-generalisation and a play on words to make yourself look ridiculous. Bravo.
    Perhaps it's a habit of offending and alienating people who are trying to help you that is the root of your problems?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks doc now I'm cured. I reported your post because it's off topic.

ReputationRep:
    Well done, now try and find the other 2 aspies at Cambridge and together the three of you can party harty.

ReputationRep:
    its more like 10% due to the people who were abused rather than diagnosed. many of them being exploited because of how loyal and trusting they are. bullies love aspie victims.

ReputationRep:
    its more like 10% due to the people who were abused rather than diagnosed. many of them being exploited because of how loyal and trusting they are. bullies love aspie victims.
    Proof?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to teach you how to use a search engine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to teach you how to use a search engine.
    Read as: "I just pull things out of my arse to try and make a decent argument"

ReputationRep:
    You're the expert on that.

If you can falsify anything I've said, I'll be surprised. Because I have the truth on my side, and you

do not.

ReputationRep:
    You're the expert on that.

If you can falsify anything I've said, I'll be surprised. Because I have the truth on my side, and you

do not.
    The latest prevalence studies of autism indicate that 1.1% of the population in the UK may have autism. This means that over 695,000 people in the UK may have autism, an estimate derived from the 1.1% prevalence rate applied to the 2011 UK census figures.
    Source: http://www.autism.org.uk/about-autis...disorders.aspx

I take their word on it over you, given how much intelligence and coherence you've managed to demonstrate over the course of this thread so far :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    You are a cyber bully and a eugenicist. Constantly bashing others intelligence.

tell me, who would you like to kill if you were a dictator? I bet you only hang around with people strictly like you as you narrowly define yourself.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen at my school, I'm not sure there's even enough encouragement for people with autism to actually go to university, for many it's implied that they will be "happier" at college or in an apprenticeship. And some will be, but others will want to go to university and be part of that. That said, I know a few people with Asperger's at uni who seem to be alright. But I've never seen university from that perspective so I'm not in the best position to judge. And I think it's not unfair to say that there's a certain emphasis on your social participation at university, they want you to be in societies, they want you to go out and spend time with your coursemates and flatmates and whatever, and I think it must be hard for the people who don't want to, or the ones who people just don't "get".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    From what I've seen at my school, I'm not sure there's even enough encouragement for people with autism to actually go to university, for many it's implied that they will be "happier" at college or in an apprenticeship. And some will be, but others will want to go to university and be part of that. That said, I know a few people with Asperger's at uni who seem to be alright. But I've never seen university from that perspective so I'm not in the best position to judge. And I think it's not unfair to say that there's a certain emphasis on your social participation at university, they want you to be in societies, they want you to go out and spend time with your coursemates and flatmates and whatever, and I think it must be hard for the people who don't want to, or the ones who people just don't "get".
    I commend you for actually understanding the point of this thread.

And to those who took it personally and proceeded to attack, we know now that you are the bullies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripper-Roo)
    Yeh, the main conversations surround nights out, who you're living with next year and where you went on clubbing holiday at the end of sixth form. As someone who doesn't do any of these things... :erm:

I don't believe there is anything wrong with that, however, I think if there are injustices within the university culture/society then in the same you would expect the government to regulate wider society, Uni officials should do the same. That been said your point has little to do with what I've just said (The only thing I could find that maybe be deemed unfair or wrong it what has been said), if people want to talk about parties etc all the time I don't believe to it be offensive/wrong as you seem to be implying however in the case of the original argument and comment you quoted, maybe uni regulation would mean people are more considerate around others, who might not want do such things, whether it because they don't want to or they have autism, similar to (I.e) how you would expect someone who wasn't Muslim to respect the fact they can't eat pork; but this doesn't mean it's wrong for them to eat pork in the same way it's not wrong for people to want to party.

Anyway, I believe the thread is about the organisation as opposed to the students themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    In terms of the first half of your paragraph fair enough, I wouldn't be best placed to judge if that's correct or not; I doubt it's even that black and white, however I'd just like to add there is a difference between wanting to be a part of something, and being ABLE, even when you talk about people for different ethnic background going to certain uni's, when you strip all of that social stuff away, the core essential is that you're able (In terms of education) to be a member of that UNI for a certain course.

I don't know too much about autism, and maybe my comment is unfair, I may not give enough credit to those with the condition (Not disrespect intended), but if i'm correct and that is the case, you'd want to look at people possibly making special course for people with the condition, and for that reason I understand why someone would argue they're better place in a college, because those are likely to be run by the state, UNI's are private and have no obligation to really do such things, unless subsidised.

And in terms of the social stuff, similar to the point I mad earlier, I think people have a right to do what they like when it doesn't harm a third party, however just like in wider society, if being different (Which you can almost think of as competition) in a way that also is harmful to a third party (The rest of society) means a person's life is hampered in someone I think you have to look at the ruling body, (Government in wider society, the people who run universities in this situations, and maybe people take it upon themselves to seek social change) to regulate this and make it so both social routes can be taken without one stopping the other from being able to achieve. But again there is probably little incentive to do this in uni, because I doubt many uni's accommodate to many autistic people, where are in a college/sixth form, if the government is at least regulating, teachers probably will.

To make it clear by regulating In this case, I mean social reforms, that encourage people to be more aware of the different social groups around them!

Wow this is a long ass reply; there may be mistakes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudyingHelp)
    I don't believe there is anything wrong with that, however, I think if there are injustices within the university culture/society then in the same you would expect the government to regulate wider society, Uni officials should do the same. That been said your point has little to do with what I've just said (The only thing I could find that maybe be deemed unfair or wrong it what has been said), if people want to talk about parties etc all the time I don't believe to it be offensive/wrong as you seem to be implying however in the case of the original argument and comment you quoted, maybe uni regulation would mean people are more considerate around others, who might not want do such things, whether it because they don't want to or they have autism, similar to (I.e) how you would expect someone who wasn't Muslim to respect the fact they can't eat pork; but this doesn't mean it's wrong for them to eat pork in the same way it's not wrong for people to want to party.

Anyway, I believe the thread is about the organisation as opposed to the students themselves.
    What do you mean by university should regulate the culture of the university, do you mean by restricting nights out and promoting other activities? Because that wouldn;t be fair on the people who enjoy drinking, you wouldn't ban the football team because those in wheelchairs can't play. Most assignments at university are essays and exams were there is no disadvantage from being autistic. The problem with assignments like presentations is that they are clearly disadvantaged but do need to get the experience of public speaking, so I think universities should make them do them but mark them to a lower standard.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.