Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to act thick who is Minerva? Completely new to all this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rowena7338)
    Hi spoke to Durham on Thursday and was released immediately by UCL on Thursday. Unfortunately Tom at work now so will have to call on Monday.
    Check they aren't open tomorrow. Ucas certainly are.

ReputationRep:
    Hi spoke to Durham on Thursday and was released immediately by UCL on Thursday. Unfortunately Tom at work now so will have to call on Monday.
    ok

UCAS are open tomorrow 10 - 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    ok

UCAS are open tomorrow 10 - 4
    Great minds, again.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if my tone is abrupt in some of my threads, but am like really, really stressed.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to act thick who is Minerva? Completely new to all this

(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Great minds, again.
    (Original post by Minerva)
    She may come now called

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if my tone is abrupt in some of my threads, but am like really, really stressed.
    Don't worry

Carnation and I are teachers with kids at uni

We know how it feels from all sides of this situation

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant 10 - 4 Sunday. By the way everyone my son has no idea I have joined this. He would go absolutely crazy!!

ReputationRep:
    She may come now called
    How do you do that? 3 years on here and I've never learned.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant 10 - 4 Sunday. By the way everyone my son has no idea I have joined this. He would go absolutely crazy!!
    We have all been there as well

Tell him you googled this
    http://www.ucas.com/about-us/contact-us

And this
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...rsity-Clearing

And this
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2426987

ReputationRep:
    How do you do that? 3 years on here and I've never learned.
    multi quote from one thread is the button to the right of quote

To get Minerva I just cut and paste

ReputationRep:
    :ninjagirl:If mine knew how I anecdotalise about their experiences, I'd be dead.

ReputationRep:
    multi quote from one thread is the button to the right of quote

To get Minerva I just cut and paste
    I can use multiquote, but how much do you cut and paste? Just the post itself?

ReputationRep:
    I can use multiquote, but how much do you cut and paste? Just the post itself?
    I quote

Then cut and paste from this quote box

ReputationRep:
    there are grants if your financial position has changed but London is very expensive. Imperial's grants are better than UCL.

Universities don't have limits on students who get very good results so he may find another good university if Durham don't take him. Birmingham were short in a number of courses, although they may be full now.

At worst he takes a gap year, reapplies and can almost pick his university. It may feel like the end of the world but it isn't. He can get a job and earn some money.

UCAS also have a Facebook page, although they'd probably just say phone them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parentlurker)
    there are grants if your financial position has changed but London is very expensive. Imperial's grants are better than UCL.

Universities don't have limits on students who get very good results so he may find another good university if Durham don't take him. Birmingham were short in a number of courses, although they may be full now.

At worst he takes a gap year, reapplies and can almost pick his university. It may feel like the end of the world but it isn't. He can get a job and earn some money.

UCAS also have a Facebook page, although they'd probably just say phone them.
    Well, they don't have caps imposed by the government, but they do have constraints on space, facilities and teaching time, so it's not such a free for all as the press make out. With his results, he should be careful not to sell himself short and rather than settle for just anything, I'd really advise a year out and reapplying.

ReputationRep:
    I quote

Then cut and paste from this quote box
    Right! I shall now summon up spirits from other threads with glee.

ReputationRep:
    When Tom spoke to Durham, they said he was in a box, apparently there are three adjustment, clearing and another? Not sure what that one is called. They have not made any sort of offer, but said they would email him as soon as they were able.
    I can't match the excellent advice you have already received; but has he started looking for a Plan C university if Durham say "no".

Remember the best for your son doesn't necessarily equate to either highest offer or a league table position which may depend on whether the university spent a fortune on the media studies building this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I can't match the excellent advice you have already received; but has he started looking for a Plan C university if Durham say "no".

Remember the best for your son doesn't necessarily equate to either highest offer or a league table position which may depend on whether the university spent a fortune on the media studies building this year.
    Hi, Nulli. You're one of the spirits I might be summoning now I've learned how. You're quite right. Plan C needs to be worked out. I think reapplying rather than jumping at anything.

ReputationRep:
    Well, they don't have caps imposed by the government, but they do have constraints on space, facilities and teaching time, so it's not such a free for all as the press make out. With his results, he should be careful not to sell himself short and rather than settle for just anything, I'd really advise a year out and reapplying.
    Fair comment but a lot did have spaces in clearing for ABB applicants or above that they may not have filled yet. Birmingham is a Russell Group university so not exactly settling for just anything.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.