Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do cyclists have to follow the speed limit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I know someone who was hit by a cyclist who was selfishly riding along the pavement. She died on the way to hospital in the back of the ambulance. So forgive me if I don't share your "cyclists can behave like cupid stunts" attitude.

If you manage to hit a kid when you speed through your local park as you have quite publically admitted that you do on a frequent basis, I'm sure they will throw the book at you.
    Speed limits are there for a reason.
    I run people over all the time, they just limp away and that's the end of that no police investigation like what would happen with a car accident. Inb4 monster, it's always always always their fault, ******** pedestrians stepping out int he road expecting you to slow down for them because you're a bike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peter12345)
    I run people over all the time, they just limp away and that's the end of that no police investigation like what would happen with a car accident. Inb4 monster, it's always always always their fault, ******** pedestrians stepping out int he road expecting you to slow down for them because you're a bike.
    Well, all I can say is, cars pay road tax, you don't.

It's not your RIGHT to ride a bike, its a privilege, where as car drivers have paid for that right.

Tl;DR: learn the highway code before you go edgy on us again, bro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDV10)

It's not your RIGHT to ride a bike, its a privilege, where as car drivers have paid for that right.

Car owners don't pay road tax, they pay Vehicle Excise Duty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDV10)

Cars don't pay road tax, and car owners don't either. You pay an emissions tax, and bicycles don't produce emissions. Are you saying that electric cars or something like the Audi A1 should not be on the roads? They don't pay "road tax" either. Apparently there are around 200+ vehicles in the "Band A" which don't pay "road tax".

Furthermore, many cyclists will own a car, so surely they've already paid their dues?

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see you go the national speed limit on a bicycle lol

ReputationRep:
    I know you can be arrested for being drunk and incharge of a bicycle which is an equivilent law for cyclists to being caght for drink driving/ dangerous driving. But I'm pretty sure speed limits only apply to motor vehicles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDV10)

Wrong on both counts. There is no such thing as road tax; motorised vehicles pay vehicle excise duty. And driving a car is just as much a privilege (not a right) as riding a bike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peter12345)
    The cyclist that killed the lady I mentioned is now in prison.

I think you're just trolling now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Obvious troll is obvious.
    If you think telling a story about a pedestrian walking out infront of you and you crashed into them is trolling then you don't cycle much. Run-ins with pedestrians are relatively frequent compared to car-pedestrian accidents and nothing much ever comes of it bar some bruises and shouting. It's very different to cars which a pedestrian wouldn't dare step out in front of and if you did hit someone it would be a big police investigation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Wrong on both counts. There is no such thing as road tax; motorised vehicles pay vehicle excise duty. And driving a car is just as much a privilege (not a right) as riding a bike.
    oh my god why does every single cyclist vs motorist debate descend into an argument about road tax?

ReputationRep:
    >bicycles don't produce emissions.
    Manufacturing, Testing, Shipping, etc...
    >Furthermore, many cyclists will own a car, so surely they've already paid their dues?
    People with 2 cars still have to pay 2 sets of 'vehicle excise duty' even though you can only drive 1 at a time.

'Vehicle excess duty' no matter how many times people say it, goes towards maintaining roads, also, before one of you say 'Herp derp it's the councils job' yes, that is true, but they get most of the budget selectively from road taxation.

Road tax doesn't go in a 'large pot' that they randomly dish money out to whatever cause, as many people think. If you fancy arguing this fact, I'd love to see how £5 Billion that is spent on road tax goes on 'protecting the environment' from fuel emissions, when at least £4.5 Billion goes on road maintenance.

I honestly don't think that riding bikes on the road is bad at all, it's healthy, environmentally friendly, faster and cheaper than most local public transport. However, it's the attitude of a lot of bike riders that let the side down, the public highway is dangerous as hell and having riders with no common sense doesn't help anyone, I regularly see cyclists riding on a NSL single carrageway 3 feet away from the curb when there is a free pavement, going through red lights at crossings, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDV10)

'Vehicle excess duty' no matter how many times people say it, goes towards maintaining roads,
    No it doesn't. VED simply goes into the general taxation pot and is used for all sorts of purposes from defence to social security payments. It isn't ring-fenced for roads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDV10)
    >bicycles don't produce emissions.
    Manufacturing, Testing, Shipping, etc...
    But this is the same for a car that emits under 99g/km of CO2...

Even if bicycles were required to display a tax disc, under the current system they would still pay £0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    No it doesn't. VED simply goes into the general taxation pot and is used for all sorts of purposes from defence to social security payments. It isn't ring-fenced for roads.
    It does, but I can play your game anyway.

Say no money goes into a pot from 'VED', and X, Y and Z Billion goes into it from other sources, now from this pot, out comes 4.5Billion towards maintaining roads, which are paid from from other forms of tax... Is that fair? No.

So we have road tax or 'VED' as politicians and 'Hurr durr, we pay road tax' cyclists like to label it, which amounts to 5 Billion.

Now 5 Billion - 4.5 Billion = 0.5 Billion.

As opposed to:

0 Billion - 4.5 Billion = -4.5 Billion.

From our metaphorical 'pot'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JO53PHS)

Even if bicycles were required to display a tax disc, under the current system they would still pay £0.
    Our current system, like many in the UK, is completely wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDV10)
    It does, but I can play your game anyway.

Say no money goes into a pot from 'VED', and X, Y and Z Billion goes into it from other sources, now from this pot, out comes 4.5Billion towards maintaining roads, which are paid from from other forms of tax... Is that fair? No.

So we have road tax or 'VED' as politicians and 'Hurr durr, we pay road tax' cyclists like to label it, which amounts to 5 Billion.

Now 5 Billion - 4.5 Billion = 0.5 Billion.

As opposed to:

0 Billion - 4.5 Billion = -4.5 Billion.

From our metaphorical 'pot'
    It is unclear what you are trying to say. However, road maintenance is largely about repairing the damage done to roads by the vehicles using them. This damage is directly very directly related to the weight of the vehicles using them. Lorries cause a huge amount of damage, cars rather less, and bicycles cause pretty well no damage at all.

It is unclear why you should say that paying for road maintenance from general taxation is unfair, as everyone in the country benefits from road use, whether they drive or not. The vast majority of food and goods is delivered by road transport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDV10)

:lol:

So smart cars, emergency vehicles and low emission cars have not 'paid for their right', have they? Fool. Perhaps you should educate yourself about 'road entitlement' before jumping up on that high horse of yours. Typical road tax/privilege argument that is touted all the time usually by those who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Educate yourself - Ipayroadtax.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JO53PHS)

What about the rider? I'm sure I breathe out more than 99g/km of CO2, especially uphill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDV10)

Roads and road signs were both created originally for bicycles, not cars. Nowhere in the Highway code does it mention cars being more important than bicycles. I'll stand corrected if you can quote it.
    Cyclists, pedestrians, electric and hybrid cars do not have to pay tax and do not have to pay congestion charge in London because they do not make emissions on the same scale as cars do.
    Learn your own facts bro. I say all this as a driver and a cyclist.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

ReputationRep:
    no but you have to be safe and responsible

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.