Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miso77)
    im thinking of doing that but it's so embarrassing because I worked hard to get in to my sixth form and how do I explain moving school because of grades to my university. But I don't want to waste a year trying to make D's into B's and U in a C and STILL not get in anywhere. What's my safest bet? I found chemistry very hard but the others I honestly thought I did ok in, in June..

You won't have to explain it. You state your GCSE grades achieved in 2012 (I'm assuming), states AS grades as certified in 2014 and then state A2 grades in 2015. They won't, typically, actually ask why you waited a year in between GCSE and A-levels. Plus I highly doubt that they'd question a school change.

Your best bet is to repeat the year, imo, and pick up a different subject alongside the biology and psychology. Maybe something like sociology?

If it then doesn't work out, and you still want to go to uni, I'd recommend looking at access courses/BTECs/foundation years.

ReputationRep:
    retake the whole year keeping biology and psychology and pick up 2 new as levels identify where you went wrong and what you are good at then decide from there. I am sure you perfectly capable of good results

Spoiler:
    Show
    and work harder next time

ReputationRep:
    im thinking of doing that but it's so embarrassing because I worked hard to get in to my sixth form and how do I explain moving school because of grades to my university. But I don't want to waste a year trying to make D's into B's and U in a C and STILL not get in anywhere. What's my safest bet? I found chemistry very hard but the others I honestly thought I did ok in, in June..
    1. I don't think any uni will quiz you about why you moved school!? Even if they do, you could just tell them you weren't impressed with the school/college? Also unis don't really care about what school/college you have come from? I came from a tiny secondary in Wales and no questions asked ...
    2. I think you need to get out of that 6th form centre, what a JOKE that you can't resit?!
    3. Don't panic - everyone As level results are worse than expected - that's the point to make sure you work your butt off next year!
    4. Don't be scared of moving school, you will be glad you did it when you get into your 1st choice uni...

Good luck, and remember - you are braver than you believe , stronger than you seem and smarter than you think

Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got
    biology - D
    pyschology - D
    chemistry - U
    maths - U

I worked so hard and these were the biggest shock to me. I'm starting to think they graded my biology and pyschology wrong. I'm just so confused. I need help. I was going to continue with biology and pyschology and don't know whether if I can do maths or chemistry but I would so maths..
    I don't know if my school will even let me back in and they dont allow resists but I cannot move because I worked so hard to get into this sixth form. And if I am allowed to continue HOW will I get accepted into uni even if I bump them up. I want to redo the year but at the school but it needs to be under special circumstances....
    Don't panic mate. I've seen people get even worse grades than this and they did just fine next year.

The best thing to do is to ask your college if you can fast track an A level next year. I know this sounds insane with no exams in January, but if you do a softer A/L like Sociology, it might not be too bad. - However you may not get into a top Uni with that subject.

Another option is to redo the AS year again, now that you know which Subjects you know you're more comfortable with. You could pick up another AS along with Bio and Psych.

Or If you don't want to redo AS again, just carry onto A2 and pick up 2 new AS subjects. A lot of uni's require 3 A/L's but a few also accept UCAS points.

ReputationRep:
    i want to continue at my school but maybe they won't let me do two alevels? I'm so annoyed at my results. I just wish you could get remarks and that result before we enrol. What would I have to say in my personal statement t convince them? Because I wanted to go to at least newcastle or Northumbria which is ABB at minimum... Do they just give out conditional offers or decline people with my grades?
    I reckon with decent work experience, gcse and predicted grades and extra curricular activities you could have a chance of getting conditional offer. My brother did terrible in his first year but still got into Nottingham - so if you can show your willing to change and work hard I think you have a shot.

ReputationRep:
    I got
    biology - D
    pyschology - D
    chemistry - U
    maths - U

I worked so hard and these were the biggest shock to me. I'm starting to think they graded my biology and pyschology wrong. I'm just so confused. I need help. I was going to continue with biology and pyschology and don't know whether if I can do maths or chemistry but I would so maths..
    I don't know if my school will even let me back in and they dont allow resists but I cannot move because I worked so hard to get into this sixth form. And if I am allowed to continue HOW will I get accepted into uni even if I bump them up. I want to redo the year but at the school but it needs to be under special circumstances....
    relax; it's not the end of the world. When you're a few years down the line you'll realise all the fuss was for nothing. Life is much bigger than a-levels and AS levels.

What I suggest you do is possibly take an extra year doing a-levels. Start afresh with a clean slate. If you think you're not smart enough or hated college, change college, if you hated the studying then maybe alevels aren't for you and maybe you should consider apprenticeships or something.

Life is a long long thing and a-levels are but only 2 years. Think of the big picture and chill out OP. Everything will be fine :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I know this doesn't solve the issues right now... but remember you could always do a foundation degree and then try and get into your top choice unis...Just a suggestion

ReputationRep:
    I got
    biology - D
    pyschology - D
    chemistry - U
    maths - U

Hello! First thing I would suggest would be talk to your teachers and ask if they think it's worth putting in for a remark! I would think your school would let you back in and would be surprised if they didn't!

What are you wanting to do at Uni - would the subjects you carry on with be affected by what you want to do at Uni!

My initial thoughts would be that it would be easier to retake the whole year to avoid resitting all exams - again I would have thought the school would let you do this!

Please ask any questions if you have any!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZoeToone95)
    Hello! First thing I would suggest would be talk to your teachers and ask if they think it's worth putting in for a remark! I would think your school would let you back in and would be surprised if they didn't!

What are you wanting to do at Uni - would the subjects you carry on with be affected by what you want to do at Uni!

My initial thoughts would be that it would be easier to retake the whole year to avoid resitting all exams - again I would have thought the school would let you do this!

Please ask any questions if you have any!

I'm trying to figure out how far I was from the next grade boundary but I don't seem to understand the aqa grade boundary marks to the ums marks on my paper because they are out of different numbers? Eg on my sheet is says 100 but on the website it says 80.. How do I figure this out? I don't mind doing biology at uni.. I want to retake the whole year but I want to do it at my school but its only ever under 'special circumstances'

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to figure out how far I was from the next grade boundary but I don't seem to understand the aqa grade boundary marks to the ums marks on my paper because they are out of different numbers? Eg on my sheet is says 100 but on the website it says 80.. How do I figure this out? I don't mind doing biology at uni.. I want to retake the whole year but I want to do it at my school but its only ever under 'special circumstances'
    In terms of the grade boundaries I would recommend asking your subject teachers and if they can't respond quick enough then e-mail or call the AQA advice line about grade boundaries!

I would talk to your school immediately and ask whether you can resit and have a few reasons ready if they ask why you should be allowed to resit!

ReputationRep:
    go to another college!

ReputationRep:
    What offers do you I think would get? And will I be more likey to be taken in with foundation courses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZoeToone95)
    In terms of the grade boundaries I would recommend asking your subject teachers and if they can't respond quick enough then e-mail or call the AQA advice line about grade boundaries!I would talk to your school immediately and ask whether you can resit and have a few reasons ready if they ask why you should be allowed to resit!
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    go to another college!
    What kind of offers do you I'd get? And would I be better of with foundation courses?

ReputationRep:
    I got
    biology - D
    pyschology - D
    chemistry - U
    maths - U

Ask to get your papers back, I think it is about £20 a paper (don't quote me) that way you can see where you have gone wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    relax; it's not the end of the world. When you're a few years down the line you'll realise all the fuss was for nothing. Life is much bigger than a-levels and AS levels.What I suggest you do is possibly take an extra year doing a-levels. Start afresh with a clean slate. If you think you're not smart enough or hated college, change college, if you hated the studying then maybe alevels aren't for you and maybe you should consider apprenticeships or something. Life is a long long thing and a-levels are but only 2 years. Think of the big picture and chill out OP. Everything will be fine :hugs:
    Haha thank you, very true. It's just a lot of pressure and everyone's doing pretty well..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    How will you cope at university if you get fail grades in your AS levels?
    University is easier than alevels?

ReputationRep:
    University is easier than alevels?
    Um, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaquelleSade)
    Ask to get your papers back, I think it is about £20 a paper (don't quote me) that way you can see where you have gone wrong
    Yes true, I'm thinking about remarks but I need to know how far I was from the next grade up..how do I find that out? I don't really understand the raw marks/ ums business..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    Um, no?
    Oh that's what we got told at school. That this was the hurdle. I just think school is the right path for me even though I didn't do well this time around. I can get my papers remarked maybe bump up it on a remark to a C. Then work on that to take it to an A and just not think maths is going to be as easy as gcse and maybe get a tutor..

ReputationRep:
    Yes true, I'm thinking about remarks but I need to know how far I was from the next grade up..how do I find that out? I don't really understand the raw marks/ ums business..
    It is very confusing, have you tried contacting your head teacher or any teacher? I would honestly get back the papers see where you went wrong and then retake. In my unit 3 for psychology I got an E, I was very shocked as I thought I had done good. I got my paper back, sat with my teacher went over everything, and when I retook I got an A.

These grades are not the end of the world, but you do need to speak to a teacher as they can really help.

BTW you chose rather hard A levels, my friend is going to Oxford this year and even she dropped chemistry as she found it hard (she got a B at AS), most of my friends picked biology and also failed and dropped it at AS. Just as a suggestion why not try less science based A levels? They are respected but hard! Maybe try alternatives such as history, sociology....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.