Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help, dilemma! Which one?? Nottingham or Oxford Brookes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    also, is Nottingham safe to walk around the city centre by yourself? Or is it as dodgy as everyone makes out!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arty)
    what like London black cabs!? Does Nottingham have taxis bombing around you can grab like London!?

Also, have you decided to live on the Beeston side in your second year ? Is that the most convenient place for humanities people to live?
    Haha yeah, we have them in Manchester too! It's not just a London thing. But yeah, basically the same, except they're green in Notts.
    No I'm living in Lenton. Not many people really choose to live in Beeston (although I do know a few). It's a lot quieter student-wise. Although you're right, it is close to humanities. But, like I said, my lectures are spread across campus so it's not really a big issue to live in Lenton.
    In terms of whether it's 'safe'; it's a city! you always have to be careful, wherever you are. I've never seen anything to show me why Nottingham has the reputation, but then I'm always careful. You know, the stuff you're mum tells you - stay with you're friends etc etc. I definitely haven't found it to be any worse than any other city I've been in. So please don't let that reputation affect you're choice

EDIT: if you mean is it safe walking round by yourself during the day then definitely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kec)
    Haha yeah, we have them in Manchester too! It's not just a London thing. But yeah, basically the same, except they're green in Notts.
    No I'm living in Lenton. Not many people really choose to live in Beeston (although I do know a few). It's a lot quieter student-wise. Although you're right, it is close to humanities. But, like I said, my lectures are spread across campus so it's not really a big issue to live in Lenton.
    In terms of whether it's 'safe'; it's a city! you always have to be careful, wherever you are. I've never seen anything to show me why Nottingham has the reputation, but then I'm always careful. You know, the stuff you're mum tells you - stay with you're friends etc etc. I definitely haven't found it to be any worse than any other city I've been in. So please don't let that reputation affect you're choice

EDIT: if you mean is it safe walking round by yourself during the day then definitely
    ahahah we don't have them in Devon! I couldn't believe how efficient and painless London transport was when I lived up there. Apart from the madness of rush hour - it was a joy to get around! I always imagined Nottingham to be fairly like Exeter. I've heard a couple of people say it's similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arty)
    ahahah we don't have them in Devon! I couldn't believe how efficient and painless London transport was when I lived up there. Apart from the madness of rush hour - it was a joy to get around! I always imagined Nottingham to be fairly like Exeter. I've heard a couple of people say it's similar.
    Well as I've never been to Exeter, unfortunately I can't tell you if that's true or not. I was actually surprised at the city itself. It isn't that big but there's waay more stuff than I assumed there would be. There's nothing that I really think is missing, even coming from a city that's much bigger.

So what are you thinking decision wise now? Any closer to a choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kec)
    Well as I've never been to Exeter, unfortunately I can't tell you if that's true or not. I was actually surprised at the city itself. It isn't that big but there's waay more stuff than I assumed there would be. There's nothing that I really think is missing, even coming from a city that's much bigger.

So what are you thinking decision wise now? Any closer to a choice?
    Thanks - that's reassuring. The whole uni package at Nottingham seems amazing - everybody seems to have a great time. I'm just worried that if I didn't settle into the student bubble life well - I'm pretty far from home! Nottingham was my unconditional firm - so at the moment I am definitely going there! But I am going to visit this week - so hopefully be able to make a final decision and then I have my OB offer as backup.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElChapo)
    Soas, York, Birmingham, Buckingham and Sussex is what I remember, make a search yourself though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks. I also have an offer from Cardiff - for Journalism. Not my first choice course though (but the uni seems great and it's closer than Nottingham and Oxford). Would you say Cardiff has the same rep as Nottingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arty)
    Thanks - that's reassuring. The whole uni package at Nottingham seems amazing - everybody seems to have a great time. I'm just worried that if I didn't settle into the student bubble life well - I'm pretty far from home! Nottingham was my unconditional firm - so at the moment I am definitely going there! But I am going to visit this week - so hopefully be able to make a final decision and then I have my OB offer as backup.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good luck with the choice! Just go with where you feel happiest and you'll have a great 3 years I'm, sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kec)
    Good luck with the choice! Just go with where you feel happiest and you'll have a great 3 years I'm, sure
    `Thanks! which halls were you in? I've just been allocated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arty)
    `Thanks! which halls were you in? I've just been allocated!
    Willoughby, just across from humanities and Lenton Grove. Where have you been allocated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kec)
    Willoughby, just across from humanities and Lenton Grove. Where have you been allocated?
    Florence Boot! Is it a good hall?
    I have got a single study - are the rooms tiny?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arty)
    Florence Boot! Is it a good hall?
    I have got a single study - are the rooms tiny?
    ah just across from willo! convenient for humanities. you'll probably spend a lot of time in the willoughby canteen or the mix for lunch then, as that's the closest lunch canteen. Flo Bo itself is such a lovely building, but I haven't actually ever been inside so I can't give you much info on the hall itself. Got a couple of friends who lived there though and they seemed more than happy. You've got a big field out the back and I think a basketball court (might be wrong there) and you're closest to the lake out of all the halls. I'm sure you'll love it

ReputationRep:
    Just finished first year at Notts. I loved it, and im sure you will too (should you choose to go). Feel free to ask any questions

Also Flo-bo is a great hall, its the smallest hall so its arguably easier to meet friends. You also have the nicest bar on campus in my opinion. Also youre by west entrance so near to beeston so can easily walk to tesco, sainsburys, whsmith, local pubs, etc. Also theres a cash point in broadgate park 5 mins away (saves walking to portland building), and also nearby bus stops into town!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oxford Brookes. Might trick some people later by saying that you have graduated from university in Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    I think having cold feet is normal before moving into university, especially when going far. If you think strongly that you won't fit in/enjoy your time at nottingham don't go there, I had an offer from them but felt I wouldn't enjoy myself there, I almost picked it just because it was in the Russell Group. Like you said you will be out there for 3 years so best to go somewhere you'll enjoy.
    Which university are you currently studying at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben Kenobi)
    Which university are you currently studying at?
    Going to study at Loughborough this october

ReputationRep:
    Going to study at Loughborough this october
    Well done. Loughborough seems to be a popular choice in my school. What course?

ReputationRep:
    Well done. Loughborough seems to be a popular choice in my school. What course?
    Chemical Engineering, and yeah its a nice place - take a look there sometime, I know they are good for Engineering and Sports

ReputationRep:
    Chemical Engineering, and yeah its a nice place - take a look there sometime, I know they are good for Engineering and Sports
    Yes, I knew that Loughborough was good for technological courses. Anyways, I already got a place at another university and going this September to study Biomedicine.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I knew that Loughborough was good for technological courses. Anyways, I already got a place at another university and going this September to study Biomedicine.
    Oh cool, where you studying?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.