Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How fast can you go on a motorway before being caught for speeding? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As mentioned, the guidelines are around the +10% +2mph mark for things like cameras, but you could be pulled for going 71mph - It would probably be a case of driving without due care and excessive speed instead of "speeding" though. Examples may be poor road conditions where it would be dangerous to travel at the speed limit. I'm not aware of specific examples where that has happened though, but I imagine that's how it would go down.

Also note that your speedometer is likely incorrect. The guidelines are that a speedo in the UK must read no slower than your actual speed, but up to 10% and 6.25mph over your actual speed. So if your speedo says "70", you're never going faster than that number (it would be dangerous if they created a device which made you break the law) but you might be going as slow as 58mph. GPS speed on a flat, clear road is probably more reliable in that case.

ReputationRep:
    I watch a bit of Traffic Cops on TV and they tend to be quite lenient towards speed limits. Like somebody else mentioned, cameras will catch speeders, not individual police cars unless you are driving dangerously i.e. tailgating, undertaking, etc.

One officer was just cruising in normal traffic and said he was doing 80mph to keep the flow of traffic moving nicely rather than everybody slowing down to below 70mph just because they could see him on the road.

Another set of officers had their speedgun at the side of a motorway. Somebody went past doing 90mph and they said "oh he's probably in a rush, we can do better than that". 2 minutes later somebody went past in an Audi TT doing 120mph and they were right on the case. Could barely catch him up for 15-20minutes as he shot off the motorway doing 100mph+ down country lanes. It wasn't even his car, he was a mechanic who was returning it to a customer!

So to summarise, providing you are not driving dangerously you are unlikely to be pulled over for doing 80-85mph by a police car. However, cameras will still catch you and you should go by the 10% rule (or even less to be honest, there's no need to do over 70 really unless you're trying to get past someone quickly so you can move back into an inner lane to reduce traffic). This is all dependent on the area, time of day, and general mood of the officer though i.e. if you're doing 80mph when the rest of the lanes are crawling at 40mph in congestion then clearly you're a danger to other road users. In general traffic flow then 75-85mph is normally perfectly fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kumori)
    As far as I'm aware police are only exempt from traffic regulations in an emergency. In which they would need there lights and sirens on.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Police are exempt from traffic regulations whenever necessary to perform their duties. This includes, but is not limited to, emergencies. Training, surveillance etc may require use of exemptions.

It's not necessary to use warning equipment to exercise exemption. Emergency warning equipment is in effect a glorified horn, whose purpose is to inform road users of the presence of a vehicle which is behaving abnormally in traffic, used however the driver of the vehicle sees appropriate.

HTH

ReputationRep:
    This is an interesting thread, I've always wondered how lenient cameras and police are in terms of speeding. What I do feel is unfair though, is that you could get 3 points for doing 34 in a 30 zone (I know from experience) yet you could drive past a police doing 90 and he wouldn't even stop you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellomoto170)
    This is an interesting thread, I've always wondered how lenient cameras and police are in terms of speeding. What I do feel is unfair though, is that you could get 3 points for doing 34 in a 30 zone (I know from experience) yet you could drive past a police doing 90 and he wouldn't even stop you.
    But usually when an area's a 30 zone it's because there's pedestrians about. An extra 4mph can make a big difference in that pedestrian's survival rate should you hit them, whereas an extra 20mph on a clear, dry motorway would be okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kumori)
    As far as I'm aware police are only exempt from traffic regulations in an emergency. In which they would need there lights and sirens on. I may be wrong however but i can't see it. And in the cases I've seen or said about this has not been the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're wrong.

All emergency services have exemptions from speed limits given the Road Safety Act and that exemption is almost completely total.

The only conditions are that the driver be on duty and have passed a driving course. They do not need to use sirens or lights.

Police will generally drive faster than 70 as otherwise people will be idiots and slow down to 60.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellomoto170)
    You can drive past police doing 40+ in a 30 and they won't always stop you either.

ReputationRep:
    Cant add much more than whats above, other than I have been stopped and done for speeding on the motorway at 71mph with a trailer.

Obviously a trailer limited me to a limit of 60mph, and even 66+2=68. But I not say anyone claiming that 85mph on a motorway is likely to be ok was talking sense, even though you can proberbly spend plenty of time doing plenty more than that without being caught, its only a matter of time and luck.

Daniel

ReputationRep:
    The majority of the time I go between 70-85 and havent had any problems, I went to pick up a new car with my dad in London and we went 100-115 on the way back to birmingham with no problems. Although I do sometimes go quite overboard with the speed depending what im driving...
    Name:  IMG_0499.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  17.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    Whether or not you get caught isn't the main concern I'd have about driving insanely fast eg 100+ mph; it's that if you accidentally cause or get involved in an accident at that speed, then the potential for you to kill someone else is massively magnified, and so is the punishment handed down by the law.

If you get caught over 100mph it's pretty much an automatic ban, which doesn't seem worth it; if you run into the back of someone you're likely to kill them, and then the speed is probably going to be the aggravating factor that sees you sent to jail for death by dangerous driving.

Doesn't seem worth it (and it costs a fortune to drive that fast, too)

Stick to 80 like everyone else

ReputationRep:
    'How fast can you go on a motorway before being caught for speeding?'

Officially, 71mph.
    Unofficially, 79mph (70+10%+2).

20 over any limit could see the officer referring it to the magistrates, 30 over and a ban is likely.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about cameras - are there many speed cameras on the motorways? I mean, other than when there are lower speed limits (e.g. when the limits have been reduced to 50mph and there is an average speed check). I doubt you'd be pulled over by a police car unless you were going over 90.

I saw someone being pulled over for (I assume) speeding. They were going over 90mph. I was going 80-85, and they overtook me and sped off out of sight quickly. I saw them in the hard shoulder a few minutes later with a police car behind them

Police cars do go very fast without sirens sometimes. I remember being in the car with my dad and a police car overtook in the right hand lane and was going incredibly fast, easily going over 90mph and maybe even around 100. They didn't have sirens on. Maybe they meant to?

Edit: Sorry, just saw the thread is old!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    I been up to 100-110 mph on motorway many times.

Never had no troubles.
    So... you did get into trouble?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rump Steak)
    So... you did get into trouble?

Nope, not yet anyway. License remains points-free.

Most times I've been on motorway have been at night when it's pretty clear. #BootyCall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llukeyboy)
    It just depends how lucky you are and if you know the area and where the rozzers like to hide. I've been in a car doing 135 in a 50, 120 on a motorway and 80 in a 30 and nothing came of it. You just need to know where the cameras/police are and if they aren't there go as fast as you like! I personally think the speed limit on motorways should be 90-100 as modern cars can do this speed very safely...
    if you are doing 80 in a 30 then you are clearly a ****** and hopefully youll meet a concrete bollard or wall soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed)
    if you are doing 80 in a 30 then you are clearly a ****** and hopefully youll meet a concrete bollard or wall soon
    For a start I was 'in' a car, not driving it, secondly we were on an industrial estate with no other cars, and thirdly the car we were in can gain and loose speed VERY quickly so it's quite safe.

ReputationRep:
    It just depends how lucky you are and if you know the area and where the rozzers like to hide. I've been in a car doing 135 in a 50, 120 on a motorway and 80 in a 30 and nothing came of it. You just need to know where the cameras/police are and if they aren't there go as fast as you like! I personally think the speed limit on motorways should be 90-100 as modern cars can do this speed very safely...
    Cars going along at 100 while HGVs are going at 56... Sounds very safe to me.

ReputationRep:
    It's a fair point but we could use the outside lane for anyone who wants to get a move on

ReputationRep:
    According to the the Book of Jay Kay: between 80mph and and 230mph is the 'danger zone'. Above that, and you're home free.

If your aim is to precipitate that rarest of collisions where both driver and vehicle can fit inside the same casket, you're certainly going about it the right way.

ReputationRep:
    Adding to the above, the police only really come down on people speeding in built up areas.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.