Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is refilling plastic bottles actually dangerous? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to buy a permanent bottle just use an empty wine bottle or something.

ReputationRep:
    I refil cola bottles with tap water, they're tougher than the bottles that flat water comes in.
    Anything water soluable in the plastic will have dissolved into the first contents they put into it in the factory... So it's too late you've already drunk some

I suppose you could brew up some bacteria if you leave the refilled bottle in a warm place for several days... So don't do that.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's not, I do it all the time and I'm fine

ReputationRep:
    Just buy a bpa free shaker or bottle or whatever job done

ReputationRep:
    I've used a bottle for more than 6 months before and I'm still fine. (Only washing out with cold water between use when I could be bothered to)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Been doing it for as long as I remember. I have a bottle in my car that I have been refilling for almost a year now. I'm still alive and have never gotten ill from it, sooo..... :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    It may not be a too good idea to reuse a bottle constantly without washing it. If you don't, there will be bacteria etc accumulating and multiplying at the mouth of the bottle (sometimes it causes it to stink a bit). So if you don't wash it for a long time you could potentially get ill from it (probably not, never heard of that happening and the bacteria gets onto the bottle from your mouth in the first place).
    After all, if you use a glass to only drink water from it, you still wash it once every while.

Also, if you constantly buy bottles to use for refilling, it could be more money efficient to just buy a bottle that's meant for that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.