Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should there be a test to become a Parent? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should there be a test to become a Parent?
    Yes
    47.25%
    No
    52.75%

ReputationRep:
    So many messed up parents screwing up their children inadvertently and they continue the vicious cycle.

If my parents never had me, then If it were possible to make such an observation, I'd think it a shame, but I wish they only had me after realizing some of their thought patterns were just plain ****ed up. Mother has typical Daddy issues, father has typical Mommy issues.

People with rare genetic diseases or carriers of a recessive gene need to really think about it before they have kids. I think that goes or even common conditions like diabetes, particularly type 1. I'm kind of pissed that I seem to have every condition that runs in both sides of the family (PCOS and diabetes to name just 2). Parents should be educated and GPs made aware of possible negative trends in physical and mental health based on the profile of the parents. It's amazing how limited a perspective them have when your parents clearly exhibit the same traits as you and no one makes the connection...

ReputationRep:
    As logical as this idea is, it's a little bit too 1984 style :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rattusratus)
    how would you stop people if they failed???

forced abortion, sterilization, a permanent chastity belt :confused:

any idea how stupid this is

no body has any right to stop someone having a child or interfere with someone elses body with out full permission otherwise how is it different to rape?... but there are already implementations to remove children from unfit parents custody (not perfect but it exists)
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    Like that'd change anything. What are you going to do if they have a child? Take it from them because they failed a test? Who would it go to?

It wouldn't work logistically imo and it's unnecessary.
    Would you please read what else I have written. They could be put on a pill. Everyone should do it anyway. The majority of planned parentage would go ahead with no intrusion to life whatsoever.But the one that are not planned or were done without the slightest hesitation for the childs welfare would be stopped. Sterilization is indeed incredibly stupid, and that's why I did not suggest it. Ad I would not take the child away, because they would not have the child in the first place. Social Services are flawed, quite substantially. When they remove the child, they are removing a child from it's parents for most of it's life and thrusting it into unknown surroundings, sometimes when it is into it's teenage years. This would be very terrifying for a child. This system would remove that possibility from even happening.

And don't be ridiculous, it would be nothing compared to rape. In fact, if implemented, I would think many logical people would welcome it, as they would have nothing to worry about if they were doing what is right for their child and not just selfishly for them.

(Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    As logical as this idea is, it's a little bit too 1984 style :lol:
    I did just read that around 2 weeks ago, so maybe it stems from that haha

ReputationRep:
    If there would be any test, it would seem to me that an IQ test would be the way to go - not sure how you figure that would be ethically wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Memetics)
    as it has been proven that it could not work.
    Fixed.

ReputationRep:
    I agree in principle, some people simply aren't fit to be parents. But I don't really see how it would work in practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    If there would be any test, it would seem to me that an IQ test would be the way to go - not sure how you figure that would be ethically wrong.
    It would of course be wrong. Just because someone is relatively unintelligent does not mean they should be unable to have a child, that is eugenics. If you were Albert Einstein, but you were discovered to be an alcoholic, you couldn't have a child. It's a parent test.

ReputationRep:
    I also agree in principle but I had awful parents so I'm biased. But if they failed the 'test', what then? And what about the people who'd pass the 'theory' but be awful in the practical application?

Would make life easier, but there's no such thing as black and white for anything.

ReputationRep:
    As I said, a sort of mandatory contraceptive would probably have to be implemented, with negative repercussions if not followed.
    What characteristics do you think certain people aren't 'fit' to be parents?

ReputationRep:
    It would of course be wrong. Just because someone is relatively unintelligent does not mean they should be unable to have a child, that is eugenics. If you were Albert Einstein, but you were discovered to be an alcoholic, you couldn't have a child. It's a parent test.
    I don't see anything wrong with unintelligent people not having children. I do not think the state should ensure it, though.

I am in favour (on moral grounds) however of abolishing all forms of welfare, public schools and the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    This seems to have some idea of force which I disagree with.

However I do think a free test which perhaps just asks simple questions about parental knowledge, financial costs, medical costs, and other such things that often parents will not have thought about or assumed they had covered. I think such a test could alert some potential parents to just how unprepared they are, and perhaps make them hold off for a year or two to ensure they are in the better shape to be parents.
    Most parents pick it up as they go along

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    I voted yes, but ignoring the obvious issues with enforcing it and everything. So I read it as "should there be a criteria met before someone becomes a parent". The majority of kids in state care are from unprepared and broken families, which are unable to provide any support to the child. It's morally wrong to have a child if you can't care for it, just like getting a puppy for christmas and then sending it to a kennel - and those people shouldn't be able to have a child until they can prove to be responsible enough :dontknow:
    Who are you to say that those children or puppies shouldn't exist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Wolf Taima)
    So many messed up parents screwing up their children inadvertently and they continue the vicious cycle.

If my parents never had me, then If it were possible to make such an observation, I'd think it a shame, but I wish they only had me after realizing some of their thought patterns were just plain ****ed up. Mother has typical Daddy issues, father has typical Mommy issues.

People with rare genetic diseases or carriers of a recessive gene need to really think about it before they have kids. I think that goes or even common conditions like diabetes, particularly type 1. I'm kind of pissed that I seem to have every condition that runs in both sides of the family (PCOS and diabetes to name just 2). Parents should be educated and GPs made aware of possible negative trends in physical and mental health based on the profile of the parents. It's amazing how limited a perspective them have when your parents clearly exhibit the same traits as you and no one makes the connection...
    Hereditary personality disorders and diabetes exist, what can you do?

People should only be disqualified from parenting if they abuse or neglect their children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripper-Roo)
    What characteristics do you think certain people aren't 'fit' to be parents?
    Drugs. Alcohol. Criminality. Young Age. Putting themselves first (selfishness). Impatient. Emotional Instability. History of abuse. etc etc etc.

Would you disagree?

ReputationRep:
    Would you please read what else I have written. They could be put on a pill. Everyone should do it anyway. The majority of planned parentage would go ahead with no intrusion to life whatsoever.But the one that are not planned or were done without the slightest hesitation for the childs welfare would be stopped. Sterilization is indeed incredibly stupid, and that's why I did not suggest it. Ad I would not take the child away, because they would not have the child in the first place. Social Services are flawed, quite substantially. When they remove the child, they are removing a child from it's parents for most of it's life and thrusting it into unknown surroundings, sometimes when it is into it's teenage years. This would be very terrifying for a child. This system would remove that possibility from even happening.

And don't be ridiculous, it would be nothing compared to rape. In fact, if implemented, I would think many logical people would welcome it, as they would have nothing to worry about if they were doing what is right for their child and not just selfishly for them.

I did just read that around 2 weeks ago, so maybe it stems from that haha
    Who's going to put these dreadful people onto the pill and make sure they do not, under any circumstances, conceive?

ReputationRep:
    Drugs. Alcohol. Criminality. Young Age. Putting themselves first (selfishness). Impatient. Emotional Instability. History of abuse. etc etc etc.

Would you disagree?
    Drugs, alcohol - moderation

Criminality - depending on the crime, if serious they should be in prison

Young age - it depends on how young but age is arbitrary as some people are more mature than others. If a girl is pregnant at 15/16, has family to pay for the baby and understands, then it's not ideal nor would I recommend it, but what's done is done and she could turn out to be a good mother.

Putting themselves first - how can you measure this? It doesn't mean they're incapable of loving, supporting or caring for their child. Some people are more inclined to care about themselves more. If you mean going out at night and leaving the child alone that is irresponsible.

Impatient - you're telling me you've never been impatient before?

Emotional instability - it depends how extreme/unstable and how they can control themselves, it doesn't mean they can't have children, as this stems from mental health issues, which should be treated and understood.

History of abuse - only one I agree with that people who abuse and are likely to in the future shouldn't have children.

ReputationRep:
    Would you please read what else I have written. They could be put on a pill. Everyone should do it anyway.
    And they could just not take it. Or they could get pregnant anyway (these things do fail). Or they could mean to take it and then forget (I forgot a pill earlier this week, luckily no pregnancy risk for me at this time).
    Or what if the female of a couple passes but her partner fails, why should she take a pill if it's him that's not supposed to have children? These things have side effects.

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure. on the one hand I am not comfortable with the government having the ability to stop you having children, but then again it is quite odd that there is greater control over who can drive a car than who can raise an actual human child.

ReputationRep:
    No. Absolutely not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripper-Roo)
    History of abuse - only one I agree with that people who abuse and are likely to in the future shouldn't have children.
    My mum was neglected by her mother and abused by her brother, and instead of being likely to do this herself, she went the other way and did her very best to make sure we were protected from this, she severed ties with her family when she got married despite them all hating her for it.
    I just graduated with a 2:1 from The University of Lancaster, my brother is about to start an engineering degree. We wouldn't have existed under this criterion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.