Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Name one OCD problem you have.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Everytime I go up stairs, I count them

Also, I usually always go for a run either on the hour, or just after half past, hardly ever inbetween

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usamakhanlodhi)
    Are we talking about real OCD or OCD like tendencies, because as someone who suffers from OCD one of the most annoying things is when someone causally goes 'oh I like things clean I am so OCD' or whatever when they clearly don't and just diagnose themselves using an episode of Monk as a guideline

Real obsessive tendencies are much more serious and emotionally harrowing
    You got there before me.

Name one OCD problem I have?

Actually having obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, for a start. :P

ReputationRep:
    checking doors are shut and locked properly...gets worse when it comes to my car...usually check 4 times :/

ReputationRep:
    I have to go back about 2-3 times when I've locked the door.

But my main tendency is plug sockets that are switched on with no plugs in them, if I know there's one near me I can't do anything until it's switched off. This is bad in libraries as everyone seems to leave them on!

ReputationRep:
    Wow! I never realised the dilemmas people with OCD live with "0 keep it up you guys!

ReputationRep:
    If I'm watching a tv show or some series I always have to click the video file three to four times to make sure it's the right episode I'm watching. Often I'll click the previous episode just to make sure.It takes make 2 to 4 minutes longer to watch each episode then it normally would. I have a similar problem with checking my answers on a test, I'll overcheck and spend most of the time checking if I wrote my answers down correctly. It's really weird ...

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people say I've got OCD and I think they are correct.

I do a lot of things.

I always have to keep my room clean, everything has got to be tidy etc... I also have this 'problem' where I'll lock the front door and windows, but then I'll think I haven't locked them, so I doubt myself. I once ended up getting half way to college, thinking I haven't locked the door, come back to check and it was locked.

ReputationRep:
    Everything has to be arranged by size in the dishwasher, if someone else puts big plate, little plate, bowl I freak out and rearrange everything.

ReputationRep:
    I used to only be able to do things 4 times, or a multiple of 4. Somethings I obviously couldn't do 4 times, but if I tapped my leg once I'd have to tap it 3 more times. If I went over my target by accident, I'd have to get it up to 8 times. If I bit half a chip, I'd have to bite what's left 3 times. It was actually pretty debilitating, and I only stopped once I reached 8 years old. Fitting. To this day, I sometimes get the same urge, but never follow through in fear of returning to my old habit.

On the bright side, my four times tables were flawless!

It's not serious but I have to make sure my bedroom door is shut when l go to sleep, and I have to have at least one sock on because I hate my feet touching eachother when I sleep o.o and this isn't an OCD but I always turn the lights off in the rooms no one is using because my family always leaves all the lights on

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      Everything I do with my body has to be symmetrical and balanced. So If I touch the wall with my right hand then I have to do the same with my left hand and also exert the same pressure. Gets pretty frustrating

ReputationRep:
      Supermarket trolley banks.

I have to organise them, all the time. Takes me 10 minutes to walk back tot he car :lol:

ReputationRep:
      Admittedly, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and like things to be in order and I ensure that my room is kept very organised. Also, if I have a certain type of clothing in mind that I think I'd like, so for example, a ON (Optimum Nutrition) black hoodie, I would have to get that exact one (finally received it last week). I'm also a bit over hygienic - I wash my hands an awful lot (although, I guess that is kind of a good thing).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Luke070)
      Admittedly, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and like things to be in order and I ensure that my room is kept very organised. Also, if I have a certain type of clothing in mind that I think I'd like, so for example, a ON (Optimum Nutrition) black hoodie, I would have to get that exact one (finally received it last week). I'm also a bit over hygienic - I wash my hands an awful lot (although, I guess that is kind of a good thing).
      I'm not sure if this applies to you but say for example you want to bake something, but you're missing one ingredient. Would you improvise or just give up?

ReputationRep:
      I like everything being clean but I wouldn't go to extreme lengths though, like make it control my life.

I have a particular thing with my hands and feet, I have to wash them several times a day and that's on top of wudu.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SyedaK)
      I'm not sure if this applies to you but say for example you want to bake something, but you're missing one ingredient. Would you improvise or just give up?
      Would give up. I don't really bake, but I would imagine that I wouldn't bother trying if I was missing a particular ingredient. That however would be down to the fact that I wouldn't have the knowledge to think of a substitute/alternative ingredient, so it just wouldn't work. Hypothetically though, say I was trying to bake something and I was missing an ingredient, but my mum gave me an alternative ingredient, I'm positive that I would be OK with that.

ReputationRep:
      I like thinks to be even numbers/ spaces apart.

I also usually get to the end of the driveway and run back to check the front door is locked. Although this is probably due to past experiences and not OCD. Last year I managed to leave the front door unlocked for an entire weekend whilst me and my parents were a couple of hundred miles away. I think this happened and other times have happened because of the lock we have. You need to unlock it with a key from the outside but with a twisty thing (like you get on bathroom doors) on the inside. Depending on what you unlocked it with last changes whether you need to turn the key once or twice to lock it !

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Luke070)
      Would give up. I don't really bake, but I would imagine that I wouldn't bother trying if I was missing a particular ingredient. That however would be down to the fact that I wouldn't have the knowledge to think of a substitute/alternative ingredient, so it just wouldn't work. Hypothetically though, say I was trying to bake something and I was missing an ingredient, but my mum gave me an alternative ingredient, I'm positive that I would be OK with that.
      I'd give up straight away, I woudn't know how to improvise. If I wanted to start revision or something but I didn't have a folder to put all my notes in. I wouldn't be able to start revision until I buy that folder. It annoys me and I don't even know why I do it.

ReputationRep:
      I don't know if Its an OCD tendency or what but if I buy something new it has to stay in its bag in my room for 2 weeks before I can put it where it's supposed to go.

I have to put cutlery away and pick out my own cutlery I can't bare the thought of someone having touched it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SyedaK)
      I'd give up straight away, I woudn't know how to improvise. If I wanted to start revision or something but I didn't have a folder to put all my notes in. I wouldn't be able to start revision until I buy that folder. It annoys me and I don't even know why I do it.
      Oh right haha. You most certainly have OCD then - I think I have a very mild case of it if anything.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.