Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Just say hello to people! Everyone at freshers will be in the same boat, so instead of waiting to be approached, try approaching others who are on their own, or living in your flat. Just say something really simple and introduce yourself. Tbh, there's a pretty standard freshers conversation of "What are you studying? Where are you from? Where are you living? (if you meet outside accomadation) and possibly What A levels di you do/What did you do before uni?"

Also, if people ask if you want to go somewhere/do something say yes! If you say no to a lot of suggestions, people might stop asking you, so it's really important to say yes the first few times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlickerWick)
    I basically can't cook. If I were to see someone getting ready to cook something and were to ask them to show me how to cook whatever it is they're cooking, would they find that creepy?
    If someone did that to me during freshers week, I would think they were incompetent and clingy and all too desperate to be around me.
    Just be confident and do your own thing, people will come to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DalimIrubab)
    Wear a name tag, turn up with a tray full of cakes and a sign saying 'My name is X, I will give you a cake if you talk to me'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Too much.

ReputationRep:
    I feel you on this one. I apparently have this look on my face that makes me seem unfriendly but any one who knows me will know I am quite the opposite. You make the first move and show them how fab you are. don't stress you will be fine .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlickerWick)
    Any tips on seeming approachable/friendly and on meeting/talking to new people?

I'm trying to view uni as a fresh start but I have literally no self-confidence and I suck at talking to people.
    kinda in the same boat with you, i'm really worried i won't be able to make good friends, so thanks for making this thread! i guess what everyone is saying is right though, just smiling and leaving the door open which i didn't know until now, and starting conversation. and the asking to learn how to cook thing is perfectly fine, it's a good way to start up a convo and learn something new too, as long as you don't like become their shadow and they end up feeling suffocated. :P

(Original post by Fuzzlepuff)
    I feel you on this one. I apparently have this look on my face that makes me seem unfriendly but any one who knows me will know I am quite the opposite. You make the first move and show them how fab you are. don't stress you will be fine .
    i have the same thing, most of my friends have said when they first met me i seemed rude and unfriendly or something, but obviously now they know me they know it's not true, it's really disheartening to know that that's the initial impression i give though!

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much just smile all the time and don't stare away from the person in a conversation, look as if your interested in what they're talking about.

Also try speaking to everyone, especially people on your course. It's better to be the friendly guy who asks people "how are you" ect as you'll come across as a nice girl/boy and be more approachable.

For example if a girl from your course came up to you and was friendly, smiled at you and made conversation with you, you'd think she's a nice person, right? BE THAT PERSON!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Say if me/my flat (4-5 people in each where my accommodation is) were to start a ring of fire game, and the opposite flat's door was open, reckon it'd be alright to ask them all if they wanted to join us? The more the merrier, but I'm not sure how receptive people are to stuff like that...

I was told to take a door wedge with you. then you can prop your door open and say hello to passers by and hopefully they will do the same. gets over the barrier of having to knock on someone's door

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.