Turn on thread page Beta

Would you support an "Israel" for gay people? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BttrLtThnNvr)
    This is an issue? Thought not...

and how will it take a couple of generations, it would take one generation, unless the gays develop anus wombs.
    Well yeah it kinda is. What's the point of having LGBT and ONLY LGBT people in a country, if they can't reproduce,and a generation, two generations. It's just semantics

Besides, it might just take two/three generations, because I'd doubt that every one that would go would be aged 20-25 ....

ReputationRep:
    I don't support the idea of creating a nation of "X" people be it Jews, LGBT, people without a spleen. What ever I would much rather we just had an integrated society and creating a new nation works against that. You also have the problem of that there is no land out there that this nation of LGBT would want that isn't already owned. But you could take the approach that Israel and allies did and just not care and make a nation there anyway.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people don't seem to be aware that gay people are physically capable of reproducing. If there were a society that was predominately homosexual, I'm sure plenty of people would still have children even if the standard family unit is quite different.

Of course it would still only last one generation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    A lot of people don't seem to be aware that gay people are physically capable of reproducing. If there were a society that was predominately homosexual, I'm sure plenty of people would still have children even if the standard family unit is quite different.

Of course it would still only last one generation.
    My word of "reproduce" was probably not the best choice of words, but more that asides from artificial ways, or if they're bi, they can't have kids naturally, and eventually the island would just die

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. Speaking as an LGBT person myself, I personally don't want to be segregated anymore than what we already are (remember in some countries LGBT is not allowed at all!) .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    My word of "reproduce" was probably not the best choice of words, but more that asides from artificial ways, or if they're bi, they can't have kids naturally, and eventually the island would just die
    Define "artificial". It's pretty easy for a man to produce semen and put it into a woman's vagina, even if he doesn't actually put his penis in there. It's not like you need IVF.

ReputationRep:
    One outstanding issue would be the lack of children produced, unless they had constant gay-only immigration.

I think it's a terrible idea myself. Much better that we all learn to accept gay people as people and not make them feel like they need their own state.

Also, a funny thought came into my mind when I read this post, which is that Israel is the only middle-eastern country with a gay pride parade and which tolerates same sex marriage and has signed the UN LGBT rights declaration. Perhaps Israel itself is the "Israel for gays"? It certainly is in comparison with its neighbours.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by wag12k12dunkno)
    how would they reproduce?
    IVF and the like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    IVF and the like?
    how would they do that?

ReputationRep:
    We don't need a second Israel displacing people from their homes, stealing land and terrorising lives. It's bad enough we have one already.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    how would they do that?
    How do you mean?

Also, OP's idea is not a good one.

ReputationRep:
    How do you mean?

Also, OP's idea is not a good one.
    how are they meant to get a female for the sperm to go into if they are all gay
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    how are they meant to get a female for the sperm to go into if they are all gay
    Women can be gay too? Or did I misread the OP?

ReputationRep:
    Women can be gay too? Or did I misread the OP?
    i thought gay women are called lesbians
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    i thought gay women are called lesbians
    Well technically yes. But 'gay' is also used as a catch all term for homosexual, so can be used in relation to men and/or women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    The major issue with here is that the island would either become dead within a couple of generations, or in a couple of generations, it'd be like any other society
    No future LGBT people will be born to heterosexual couples

ReputationRep:
    IVF and the like?
    Or just putting semen into a woman's vagina.

(Original post by xaki90)
    No future LGBT people will be born to heterosexual couples
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Even if this became a reality the population would be wiped out soon as there won't be any reproduction happening

ReputationRep:
    Hmm people are bringing up the issue of reproduction but a bigger issue would be their potential children, since as said it's not hard to use artificial means. If this island is for gays only, what happens to their offspring? The large majority of the population is heterosexual, this won't change in "gayland". Thus you'd have the situation where parents would have to either send their child away at puberty if it wasn't homosexual, as it would be ostracised, or if they're going to accept heterosexual children, it'll just turn into a regular society, just very accepting of homosexuality.

ReputationRep:
    No, because A) the situation is totally different to Israel, and B) I have some vestiges of sanity left.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 9, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.