Turn on thread page Beta

GIRLS: If you have ever made the first move, what was your strategy? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how many negs the op would've got for that. It sucks that men have to make the first move, we all get embarrassed or down due to rejection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkhamz)
    I wonder how many negs the op would've got for that. It sucks that men have to make the first move, we all get embarrassed or down due to rejection.
    This thread was created before negs were removed. I didn't get any, I don't think. But then again I never cared about reputation on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    That's how men are "supposed" to be according to sexist gender roles. But it's not true in a lot of cases.
    I don't know. I just think that men are mentally stronger than woman and can pass through it. I just always thought that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katyness)
    I don't know. I just think that men are mentally stronger than woman and can pass through it. I just always thought that.
    I think men generally don't openly express their feelings as much as women do, but that doesn't necessarily make them "stronger". Obviously depends on the person. There are guys who are really confident and wouldn't care about being rejected at all, and just move on to the next one. But I don't think most men are like that.

ReputationRep:
    LOL I know. I think about this all the time. I guess men are humans too and they too get embarrassed and feel a bit down when rejected but I just feel like they are more conditioned to get back on the horse and move on. I don't know.
    You are very immature in your thoughts about men.

Men are humans? You are only realizing this now?

They get embarrassed and feel down about being rejected- that is obvious, how could they not be.

You must have been assuming that men are mentally invincible and dont feel emotions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Wolf Taima)
    We were online friends for 3 years. We exchanged numbers.

A few days after that I was texting him about going to Bristol (where he lived) and he said I could stay at his if i had nowhere else to go that night. Upon realising I wasn't actually on the way that day and staying at his wasn't a last resort, he told me to forget what he said about coming over (very socially awkward and had never had a girl go to his place before)

I went anyway. Seeing as I lived 3 hours away, I stayed the night, simply crawled into bed next to him and asked him to hold me..(he knew I live for cuddles and spooning on a serious note..)

He was a virgin until then. The morning after he confessed he wanted me to stay all along 2 months later he told he loved me and we're still banging 18 months down the line.

WOW this guy sounds like the ultimate beta. Never be this guy, people.

ReputationRep:
    I did it once in primary school and it was so embarrassing to be rejected
    Classy bird!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-Dog)
    You gotta Twerk it honey
    THIS!!!

ReputationRep:
    I flirted loads and he soon caught on. No rejection for me. I would never usually make the first move though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloomblaze)
    You are very immature in your thoughts about men.

Men are humans? You are only realizing this now?

They get embarrassed and feel down about being rejected- that is obvious, how could they not be.

You must have been assuming that men are mentally invincible and dont feel emotions
    I guess that explains why I never had a boyfriend then...

Not invincible, I just feel like men are more in control of their emotions and so I always see them as being able to get over it and move on. I've got 2 brothers and they talk to me about their relationships and stuff and they just don't seem too bothered when **** hits the fan. I thought most men were like that too.

(Original post by cant_think_of_name)
    Classy bird!
    LOL. I know. I started early. I didn't ask him out though, I just told him I liked him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)
    WOW this guy sounds like the ultimate beta. Never be this guy, people.
    Why, because he's sweet? Of all the wannabe alphas on the site I met him on, He gets this

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/...psa85fb8e5.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Don't have a strategy.

I've asked several guys on dates though. Got a couple of rejections, but heh ho, life is full of rejections, just move on and ask someone else out

Ideally I like the guy to make the first move, but sometimes that is like waiting for pigs to fly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by battycatlady)
    Don't have a strategy.

I've asked several guys on dates though. Got a couple of rejections, but heh ho, life is full of rejections, just move on and ask someone else out

Ideally I like the guy to make the first move, but sometimes that is like waiting for pigs to fly.
    How long 'til you never ask anyone out ever again?

Doesn't it cross your mind that some guys actually like to do the chasing?

It seems like I'm attacking you, but I really am curious about this
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I've made the first move a few times, and it didn't always work out well!

When I was about 14, I liked this guy, but I was too shy to tell him. So, I wrote him a little note and it took all my courage to hand it to him and dash away... only for him to open it in front of all of his friends and they were all laughing about it. Awkward move, awkward result!

The next year, this guy was really friendly with me. We'd been ice-skating together and he'd held my hand throughout, and we were always chatting in class, so I rang him up one night to ask him to an upcoming dance, and he turned me down, as he saw me as just a friend. It was embarrassing for him as well - he didn't dare show up in school the next day.

I'm quite shy in real life and haven't a clue how to go about flirting. However, I find it a bit easier to be flirty and open online, and with my ex I was the first to express real interest that way, and then discovered that he was interested, too.

With my current boyfriend, we both chased the other, which was good fun.

ReputationRep:
    I never make the first move. Mainly because I think the guy should do it and because I did it once in primary school and it was so embarrassing to be rejected.

I know there is a small number of girls that actually make/have made the first move, so I just want to know what strategy you have used. Did you text something casual? Did you slip your number and hoped for the best?

Did you get rejected? Did that discourage you?
    Or did things work out?

I'm just curious.
    Why do you think guys should make the first move?
    Some guys were rejected under similar circumstances, should they expect the female to make the first move due to their embarrassing experience in the past?

ReputationRep:
    Why, because he's sweet? Of all the wannabe alphas on the site I met him on, He gets this

That fact that he's been banging that for 18 months pretty much solidifies it. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    With my boyfriend I didn't ask for his number but I did start the conversation. I didn't really have a strategy. He was sat in front of me on the train and I spent the majority of the trip thinking about what I could tap him on the shoulder and talk to him about that wasn't creepy/hoping he wasn't getting off at the next stop. He was talking to someone else and their conversation turned to something which gave me a good reasoned to tap him, so I did.

Looking back even that sounds a bit weird, because it shows I was eavesdropping. I guess he didn't mind.

I tend to make the first move a lot though, with either asking out of kissing. I'm quite reserved when it comes to socializing, but ironically I've always had confidence with men. I tend to just say and do what I'm thinking and act myself! I don't see men as this massive obstacle, just relax and read the signs. The way I always look at it is that if you ask a guy out or something and he says no, you pick yourself up and shrug it off, and he will most likely be flattered anyway. That's the worst case scenario and it's fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We were online friends for 3 years. We exchanged numbers.

A few days after that I was texting him about going to Bristol (where he lived) and he said I could stay at his if i had nowhere else to go that night. Upon realising I wasn't actually on the way that day and staying at his wasn't a last resort, he told me to forget what he said about coming over (very socially awkward and had never had a girl go to his place before)

I went anyway. Seeing as I lived 3 hours away, I stayed the night, simply crawled into bed next to him and asked him to hold me..(he knew I live for cuddles and spooning on a serious note..)

He was a virgin until then. The morning after he confessed he wanted me to stay all along 2 months later he told he loved me and we're still banging 18 months down the line.
    are you still with him?

ReputationRep:

:lol:

This girl is seriously deluded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittiara)
    x
    Kudos for getting back on the horse.

I had the same incident in high school because I was too shy to ask him if he even liked me so I wrote him a letter and in return he said I was too ugly for him... Awkward! That only aggravated my self esteem issues and I have only recently learnt to live with it (even though I think the years have been kind). I just don't see how I could get over all these years of being insulted. It's just too harsh...

(Original post by Airfairy)
    I tend to make the first move a lot though, with either asking out of kissing. I'm quite reserved when it comes to socializing, but ironically I've always had confidence with men. I tend to just say and do what I'm thinking and act myself! I don't see men as this massive obstacle, just relax and read the signs. The way I always look at it is that if you ask a guy out or something and he says no, you pick yourself up and shrug it off, and he will most likely be flattered anyway. That's the worst case scenario and it's fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm pretty much the opposite. I'm quite confident and extrovert but when it comes to guys I'm the first one to get out of the situation before I get hurt. I'm even doing this now haha I just cut ties with some guy I started to like because I just don't want to deal with this.

But like I said, I couldn't shrug it off so easily. But good on you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.