Turn on thread page Beta

You see a guy kicking his dog without any intention to stop, what do you do? watch

• View Poll Results: What do you do?
    Option 1
    57.95%
    Option 2
    27.27%
    Option 3
    10.23%
    Option 4
    4.55%

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine I'd be able to physically stop anyone doing anything. But I'd call the police. As someone with a dog it would really upset me to see one being attacked. If someone hurt my dog I would go mental.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bad_moose)
    If it was obvious that the dog had done something dangerous (eg. if a pitbull had gone for a young child or something) I'd probably help restrain it in in whichever way was neccesary (my family has had some seriously bad experiences with out of control dogs). If it was just someone kicking a dog for absolutely no reason I would do everything I could to make them stop. How the hell do you justify that? People that abuse animals are low, you're lucky enough to have the companionship of another creature and then you just treat it like ****. I just can't bear to see an animal suffering. My neighbours had some guinea pigs a few years ago that they never fed and used to leave out in the snow. I used to sneak over the fence at night to feed them and sometimes take them inside if it was very cold.
    There is a difference between restraining an animal using reasonable force (which is something I have done in the past) and doing what the OP describes which insinuates the guy has gone far beyond the point of restraint.

I would definitely go over and try to get the guy to stop, from the OP's description the guy sounds out of control and there is only one place that is ending and frankly I don't particularly want that on my conscience.

ReputationRep:
    1. Because I cannot stand animal cruelty. I would demand the guy to stop it, and try go between the man and the dog. I can't ring the police cos I'm deaf boo, so I would shout someone to call the police.

ReputationRep:
    I've been full of rage these past few weeks.... it would be a nice relief to be able to actually use it doing justice.

ReputationRep:
    I personally like to see dogs in pain

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    1), any excuse for a fight!

(Original post by 2ndClass)
    I personally like to see dogs in pain

Spoiler:
    Show
    YOU! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    YOU! :mad:

lol

but seriously though OP , probably option 1

ReputationRep:
    I voted for option 1.

I would definitely confront him (I have confronted abusive drunks etc in the past) but to be completely honest after that I would have to see how it escalated.
    I'm not very big so if things started getting hairy and he wasn't fat/drunk/off his head (things that at least give me more confidence as to whether I can handle myself if it comes to a fight against him) I would probably back down, but at least I said something and tried to draw people attention (perhaps if there are several people dithering and someone makes a move they are more likely to come and back you up?)

ReputationRep:
    I saw a guy once beating his dog; he'd tell the dog to go behind him; the dog would but then as the dog gets a little in front, the young youth [16-18 years old] would slap the dog several times really hard on the face and tell the dog to get behind him again; this continued for about five minutes that I was watching; the boy was obviously a bit mad and I wanted to go tell him to stop but was afraid he'd set the dog on me; it was an alsation!

felt really sorry for the poor dog but there was nothing I could do

ReputationRep:
    i'd join in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeGuy21)
    Hey;

Well, I was just reading the news and it got me thinking about something. Anyway, I pose a situation, I want an honest answer so please use the poll.

Just before you answer, I would like to point out I am NOT condoning cruelty to animals nor do I promote violence, neither am I enforcing it for the sake of this thread. (For the PC lot on here). - Feels kinda sad I have to say this but still. =l

Anyway, say you are passing along the street and you see this guy kicking his dog for some unknown reason to you, there are probably another 50 people in the vicinity, however, none of them are policemen or hold any power involving being able to do anything about it and probably won't as all are passing by, what do you do?

I mostly made a poll given I expect the poll to represent differently from the actual messages, however, I would like to think of this more as an experiment, Please answer as honestly as you can.

Please chose one of the following options for the poll;

1. Try and stop the guy yourself through whatever means you can. (Probably resulting in a full on confrontation)
    2. Phone the police and describe the person while keeping an eye on them to report them to the police and provide a location.
    3. Keep walking by and hoping someone else will do something
    4. It is only a dog and none of my business, keep walking.
    I answered option 1, but honestly, it would depend entirely on the circumstances.

What breed of dog is it? If it's a german shepherd or pit bull or another 'dangerous' breed then I'd most likely choose option 2. If it's one of those tiny, yappy dogs or family dog such as retriever/labrador etc, I'd most likely choose 1.

Also depends on the owner, whether they look like they'd turn on me, as I'm not good at all in fights.

I suspect though that while others in the vicinity do nothing, it would only take one person to get involved, for others to decide to do the same.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Wolf therianthrope. Canids are close to me in particular.

I would go into full on rage mode and rip ten shades of **** out of him, pin him to the floor, bite whatever parts of him are exposed... Make him sorry.

I'm usually an eternal pacifist but I would actually lose it. Not just saying this to look 'tough', especially as wolves aren't actually anywhere near as aggressive as stereotypical portrayals of them. But I really would just lose human sensibilities and judgement in that moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    There is a difference between restraining an animal using reasonable force (which is something I have done in the past) and doing what the OP describes which insinuates the guy has gone far beyond the point of restraint.

I would definitely go over and try to get the guy to stop, from the OP's description the guy sounds out of control and there is only one place that is ending and frankly I don't particularly want that on my conscience.
    I'm only talking about exceptional circumstances here. At the woods where my family walk our dog, there are two women who have an absolutely massive rottweiler. It's so big that they have to tie it's lead to a tree when other dogs come past because they're not strong enough to hold it back. It went for my dog and my mum once and it apparently took 5 people kicking it and pulling it off to get it away. That's the kind of situation in which I'd justify it, but obviously the need to use that level of force is extremely rare.

ReputationRep:
    I would call the police probably, probably not. I don't know because in situations like these, I get quite nervous and wait for someone to do something. I wouldn't confront them whatsoever. You don't know what the person is like.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would really like to be able to pick option 1, but the chances are that I wouldn't. I would be afraid, the bystander effect would kick in, I wouldn't feel able to intervene and I'd talk myself out of it.

Then again I maybe I'd feel absolutely enraged. It's not something I can claim to know the answer to - I only claim to know that in situations where intervention is required and no one else is intervening, I never have. This is a known psychological phenomenon in human behaviour - it's nice to think you will act, but chances are you won't, since the presence of others inhibits helping, "often by a large margin".

Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

ReputationRep:
    Call the police, get the attention of other people so I have witnesses, then confront the ****er. I don't stand for any animal cruelty, and as far as I'm concerned, there is no excuse. I campaign against whale and dolphin cruelty, and try to get involved in other campaigns. What makes another dog any different?

ReputationRep:
    If it's Chuck Norris kicking his dog, don't walk away. Run.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like there's lots of armchair fighters here. The vast majority of people would walk past, a tiny number might call it in, far, far less would get physically involved. I don't know what I'd do, it'd depend on the circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bad_moose)
    I'm only talking about exceptional circumstances here. At the woods where my family walk our dog, there are two women who have an absolutely massive rottweiler. It's so big that they have to tie it's lead to a tree when other dogs come past because they're not strong enough to hold it back. It went for my dog and my mum once and it apparently took 5 people kicking it and pulling it off to get it away. That's the kind of situation in which I'd justify it, but obviously the need to use that level of force is extremely rare.
    Of course in exceptional circumstances it is necessary, I know from experience as my old dog (lurcher / ridgeback cross) got in a couple of fights when he was younger with other dogs and I just needed a quick bit of force to break his focus and him to pay attention to me.

I feel like my use of force was justified, but only because I used the absolute bare minimum of force. As I said in my original post the OP describes a situation which I feel sounds beyond restraint and as such I hope I would feel the need to step in.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 10, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.