Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Won't happen, shouldn't happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex5455)
    But its the tories wet dream.
    Not mine Alex.

ReputationRep:
    Well they have private healthcare in countries like the Netherlands, so it doesn't necessarily mean a rubbish system like they have in the US (I'm a fan of the US in other ways, but their healthcare system could use a lot of help from anybody with a brain).

I'm not generally for change for change's sake though, and the national healthcare system we have seems to work reasonably well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Not mine Alex.
    Pah. Its bad for people with no money and good for the rich you'd love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripper-Roo)
    people are more responsible over their bodies and you won't get people attacking overweight people for "wasting their money"

I want affordable and good quality healthcare for everyone, but I am open to the idea that this doesn't mean the state has to provide and force people to pay for something they may not get full use from.
    You do realize insurance premiums would increase year after year to 'cover the costs of obesity'

Like most state functions, it's not there for you to use, it's there just in case you ever need it and don't have an alternative.

ReputationRep:
    There's been a lot of scare stories about the privatisation of the NHS. For me these scaremongering stories tend to get pushed about by union repsore worried about pay conditions for its members. No apolitical party will ever privatise the NHS and remove the free at source universal healthcare cover that we currently have. Even the Americans are moving towards it. The so called privatisation that we've seen so far is merely outsourcing. If a private company can do the job as effectively then I don't have a problem with that. Otherwise the only other options are to raise more taxes to cover additional price increases or do what happens in Europe and expect the general population to pay for 25% of their own healthcare on top of their additional taxes.

ReputationRep:
    no no no no no no no

ReputationRep:
    Broadly against overall.

While i do believe that the number of NHS services should be reduced and smaller stuff like out-patient foot checks ect.. can be done via optional insurance (i was quoted just £7 a month), i don't think a completely private system including any important stuff would be good for most people and mandatory health insurance is a recipe for a cartel.

(Original post by alex5455)
    But its the tories wet dream.
    Have you met any Tories?

ReputationRep:
    Depraved idea.

ReputationRep:
    The day they sell off the NHS, i'm out of the UK. I won't stand to see it done in my lifetime.

I've yet to see an example of something which has been privatised that has been a success from the view of the average man. Sure, some industries such as British Rail sucked service wise, but at least people could afford them. Look at the railways now, nearly £4,000 for a season ticket on the west coast line. Unsustainable and contributing to the UKs cost of living crisis. The east coast line is publicly owned and far cheaper, much more punctual and good value for money.

Energy companies rising their prices by 8.3%. Unsustainable. When will they stop? When even more pensioners die because they're being forced to choose between food or warmth?

Selling the NHS would lead to one thing, more deaths and preventable illnesses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Have you met any Tories?
    far too many.

ReputationRep:
    Think it's a backwards step tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rational Thinker)
    Depraved idea.
    That's going a bit far. There is nothing wrong with the State not providing healthcare directly, but through subsidies. OK, maybe there is in your opinion, but surely it's not "depraved"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    That's going a bit far. There is nothing wrong with the State not providing healthcare directly, but through subsidies. OK, maybe there is in your opinion, but surely it's not "depraved"?
    It is covert privatisation.

ReputationRep:
    It is covert privatisation.
    What is inherently wrong with privatisation though?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I don't think it would be very beneficial overall. I can only see medical insurance companies, the owning companies and possibly the government benefiting from it.

Privatisation of certain things is a good idea, but of the NHS would just be going back against what we began the NHS for: equal health-care for all (except those who choose to pay for private care, of course).

If the NHS were to be privatised, it would no longer be the NHS, and I can't see how it would be funded, as those with less money would struggle to pay for medical bills and insurance, which the government would then probably (and eventually) set out to make up a new scheme (similar to the NHS) again.

I know some people don't get full use out of the NHS scheme, but it is always there for use if you do need it, e.g. accidents, serious illness etc.

But that's just what I think. Like I said, privatisation is good in some cases, but not in others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    The day they sell off the NHS, i'm out of the UK. I won't stand to see it done in my lifetime.

I've yet to see an example of something which has been privatised that has been a success from the view of the average man. Sure, some industries such as British Rail sucked service wise, but at least people could afford them. Look at the railways now, nearly £4,000 for a season ticket on the west coast line. Unsustainable and contributing to the UKs cost of living crisis. The east coast line is publicly owned and far cheaper, much more punctual and good value for money.

Energy companies rising their prices by 8.3%. Unsustainable. When will they stop? When even more pensioners die because they're being forced to choose between food or warmth?

Like many i doubt you know just how many things the UK government used to own (Thomas Cook for one!).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_privatizations

There have been a multitude of beneficial privatisations, even a majority were successful. I do agree that we should not have a fire sale of the NHS however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)

Like many i doubt you know just how many things the UK government used to own (Thomas Cook for one!).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_privatizations

There have been a multitude of beneficial privatisations, even a majority were successful. I do agree that we should not have a fire sale of the NHS however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    What is inherently wrong with privatisation though?
    The idea of the NHS was supposed to be to provide care to anyone no matter their background or position in the social hierachy.

ReputationRep:
    The idea of the NHS was supposed to be to provide care to anyone no matter their background or position in the social hierachy.
    But it does that, even if part privatised.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.