The Student Room Group

EU to ban Menthol & 10 Decks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DarkMagic
Surely it would make more sense to ban the larger packs if they're going to ban any? I'm not a smoker but I'm more likely to eat something if I know I have a lot of it in the house but I might be less willing if I know I'll have to go back to the shop for more. I think a lot of casual smokers would rather buy the larger pack than go without so I wouldn't be surprised if this led to more people getting addicted, as they'll finish the 20 pack rather than waste them.

Governments don't operate on common sense my friend.
Reply 21
Shame.
I like menthol cigs. On the odd occasion I do buy a packet of fags it's 10 menthol.
I'll have to revert back to cigars then!
Why would you ban a pack of 10 if larger sizes are still available? I'm sure (I don't smoke) that those who do smoke cigarettes aren't going to be put off by the fact they'll have to buy packs of 20. As for the children angle, how it costs more...I guess you can kinda see where it's going with the whole 'Packs of 20 cost more to buy thus young children won't be able to buy as many' thing. But at the same time, it's hardly going to stop them. They'll just save up for longer.

Or as kids in my local area do, get adults to buy them for them. Which won't change with this rather odd measure.
Original post by Little Wolf Taima
x

Oh noes! You're not suggesting we legalise weed!? Think of all the moralisers out there who'd collectively **** a brick! The same moralisers who would probably go out and get blind drunk the following weekend with no awareness of the irony whatsoever.

'We need to keep dangerous drugs like cannabis illegal. After all, it causes schizophrenia'

Maybe I'm exaggerating. But I just don't get it. There is no logical reason whatsoever for these tyrannical laws on all drugs, yet alcohol getting a free pass, unless we consider backscratching, business interests, and general stupidity.
Reply 24
Original post by Rational Thinker
Whatever reduces smoking is usually good.

Depends on your point of view. I don't think kids and teenagers should smoke, but when they get to 18, it's their decision.

But the problem with this is that eliminating 10 decks and only being able to sell 20g of rolling tobacco is bad for poorer people. They'll have to spend more cash on the same amount of cigs they smoke a week, especially addicts. I don't know how the EU can justify this.

If they actually wanted to reduce smoking, I'd ID absolutely everyone. Doesn't matter if they're 80, they should be IDed. It'll be a hassle for some people, but it would mean that no underagers would be able to buy tobacco products.
Reply 25
Original post by forgetamine
This is ridiculous. I'm sick of the government telling me what I can do to my body and what not. If I wanna smoke or take drugs it's my business and not anyone elses. *****.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2010/11/drugs_cause_most_harm

It kind of is.

Oh yeah, alcohol causes the most harm to others, why is it still legal and less harmful drugs aren't? I don't drink alcohol and all the drugs I take cause hardly any harm to others according to this study. Most people are for legalisation of cannabis at least but it's still illegal because we don't live in a democracy.
Reply 27
Better start stockpiling menthols then.
Reply 28
I smoke, I pay an absurd amount of TAX on cigs, this tax covers the possible cost to NHS of any medical conditions I may have due to smoking. I accept that, however surely thats where they should stop with all of this banning B-S.

Menthols are awesome when you are hungover or feeling ill. Additionally where do they draw the line, when does a cig become menthol, does this effect other flavoured cigs aswell. Also banning 10packs, who on earth thought of that, apart from it being an unneccessary controlling law which is limited freedoms for no obvious reason, their supposed reason for doing it is flawwed, stop people smoking as much by making them by bigger packets. Surely whilst they are at it they should ban selling individual cakes and only allow multipacks in an aim to reduce obesity.
Original post by Arbolus
Restricting e-cigarettes is like restricting nicotine patches. It's not just senseless, it's actively counterproductive when it comes to solving the main problem, which is the health issues caused by smoking real cigarettes.

Agreed, restricting smoking makes sense because it can harm others whether you want it to or not, but harmless alternatives being attacked makes no sense. As long as you're only effecting yourself there is no reason for restrictions.

I'm not a smoker for the record.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Agreed, restricting smoking makes sense because it can harm others whether you want it to or not, but harmless alternatives being attacked makes no sense. As long as you're only effecting yourself there is no reason for restrictions.

I'm not a smoker for the record.

Unfortunately a discouraging number of people cannot tell the difference between a real cigarette and an e-cigarette. Some smartarse decided somewhere along the line that these people should have a say in how the country is run.

Am I joking? I just don't know anymore.
Disgusting.

I usually smoke roll ups but if I do buy normal cigs then I buy two ten decks because they are less likely to get destroyed in my pocket.

Menthol I don't really like but they shouldn't be banned.

Kids know smoking is bad but they do it anyway, 10 decks and menthols do not make people smoke.
Original post by Gjaykay
I know cigarettes are bad for you, but this is absurd! I personally love menthol, they taste a whole lot better than regular cigarettes. Plus banning 10 decks wont stop people smoking, it'll just mean poorer people will spend more money on cigarettes than other things.

This makes me so mad :mad: but I'm obviously biased because I'm a smoker. Do you guys think this is a good or bad move? Will it actually work, or will it just suck poorer people into bigger holes?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10364709/EU-bans-packets-of-10-and-menthol-cigarettes.html

you havent been able to buy ten decks of cigarettes in Ireland for years now.

Hasnt exactly done a lot
Reply 33
I smoke cannabis mixed with tobacco and menthol filter tips, I have a chronic illness which is NOT smoking related , I have MS, smoking takes away my pain and relaxes my muscles, I can't drink alcohol at all anymore because of the prescription medication that I have to take, banning menthol filter tips will reduce my quality of life even further, I would prefer the government to ban alcohol!!! Which is in my opinion WORSE than smoking as at least there would be a decrease in accidents and deaths caused by drink driving !! Not being able to choose what I do with my own life is a form of dictatorship and not very democratic!! Anyway if I could no longer smoke I would probably EAT more, become morbidly obese and cost the government more for the health issues THAT would cause !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending