Turn on thread page Beta

Do you thank the bus driver? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you say thank you?
    Yes
    75.26%
    No
    5.84%
    Sometimes / If I feel like it
    18.90%

ReputationRep:
    If it's at the last stop and I'm the last one getting off, yes.

Any other time, no.

If the bus has no middle door (they all have middle doors where I am) then I will pretty much thank the driver in any case.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, everybody does.

ReputationRep:
    Well, everyone in Bristol does it, or at least the students do. =l

ReputationRep:
    I always thank them unless there was something wrong (lateness, poor driving etc.)

I don't care that I'm paying them to do their job, the urge to say it is there and I find it nice. The bus drivers in my town normally say "take care", "have a nice day" or "thanks" themselves when we get off. Same way that you thank a waitress despite paying her. You're not thanking them for doing it, you're thanking them for doing it well.

ReputationRep:
    I always say cheers, because why wouldn't you unless your rude or strange?

ReputationRep:
    No, because they're nowhere near the exit doors. I'll occasionally say thanks as I get on though, depending on whether or not they're making eye contact.

ReputationRep:
    I only thank them if I was running for the bus and they were kind enough to open the doors for me - this is rare.

ReputationRep:
    not the rude ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen)
    I am just wondering if the people of TSR say thank you to the bus driver when they exit. If so, why? You have paid a company for the bus ticket and the driver is not taking you from place to place from the kindness of his/her own heart, so why do you thank them for doing something they are supposed to do? Should you also thank street cleaners as you walk past them? Thoughts? (I would like to add that I am not necessarily saying if I do or do not say thank you my self, I am just wondering about other peoples opinions). Edit: I am not quite sure why I have been negged, I have simply asked a question.
    Yes, same as I thank waiters when they bring me food/take my plate, or shop assistants when I leave. I thank anyone for doing their job if I am directly involved in its performance - if I accidentally dropped litter and a cleaner picked it up before I could, I'd say thanks...if I walked past them clearing othjer people's waste, I'd say nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Never, I'm a Londoner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rananagirl)
    I always thank them unless there was something wrong (lateness, poor driving etc.)

I don't care that I'm paying them to do their job, the urge to say it is there and I find it nice. The bus drivers in my town normally say "take care", "have a nice day" or "thanks" themselves when we get off. Same way that you thank a waitress despite paying her. You're not thanking them for doing it, you're thanking them for doing it well.
    Ive never seen a bus driver say any of those things when people get off lol. You must live in a lovely small neighbourhood

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puma21)
    Never, I'm a Londoner.
    This. lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Usually. Unless they're a grumpy driver who overcharged me because they won't believe my age or if they get grumpy for me needing something stupid like 10p change. Although that won't be happening much now as the uni bus is free, so I do always say thanks then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie_p)
    Yes, same as I thank waiters when they bring me food/take my plate, or shop assistants when I leave. I thank anyone for doing their job if I am directly involved in its performance - if I accidentally dropped litter and a cleaner picked it up before I could, I'd say thanks...if I walked past them clearing othjer people's waste, I'd say nothing.
    How can you "accidently" drop litter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    I've more than once caught myself thanking the ATM.

Yes, then.
    I've done this, i've also said thankyou when getting off the train!

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    No, because I get down from the back.

ReputationRep:
    When I was at Uni I used to even if I'm paying them to do their job. At the restaurant I'm working in I say thank you/your welcome when I'm giving people their food/drinks/menus/taking orders/receiving payment. I would feel guilty if I didn't tbh, it's just seen as common courtesy.

ReputationRep:
    I think if we never thank people if they are paid to do whatever, then we would live in a very emotionally cold world.

So you wouldn't thank waiters, bus drivers, shop assistants, doctors etc etc

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ReputationRep:
    I live in London. I'd never get the chance tbh..

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.