Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Actually, good question. I once played mash with a guy and we ended up with infinity babies, and I said, 'But how would we name them?' and he said, '1, 2, 3, 4...' :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Would there also be a hierarchy? The president is number 1, for example? Who would decide?

ReputationRep:
    I suppose we'll all be waiting in line to get them tattooed on our arm then, like in Birkenau?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently people can only remember 7 numbers easily. Swap that for 7 sounds (syllables) and you get quite a lot more possibilities.

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for the person stuck with 69.

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome to call your child a number, if you want to.

ReputationRep:
    i think everyone should be equal therefore everyone should have the same number
    Spoiler:
    Show
    dehumanisation

ReputationRep:
    I'd feel sorry for number 2 and 69 and 666. They'd get a lot of hell. :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegitimateManiac)
    Names are cooler, although we should be allowed to choose our own.
    You can choose your own.

ReputationRep:
    Dibs on number 12 :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AristoBrat!)
    I'd feel sorry for number 2 and 69 and 666. They'd get a lot of hell. :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh you so punny

ReputationRep:
    We do have numbers: 0179 234 1252

But yes some kind of system where everyone has a unique name would be better. It's hard enough stalking people as it is!

So people could get a name from a system such as:

Blue Trumpet Night Fox

Red Chester Turnip Hound

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deehee)
    Why do people in society have names ?

Isn't this an outdated tradition that will surely disappear in the future as we get more technologically advanced ?
    what a stupid question.

Im not going to call a future child i have something like six billion nine hundred million tree hundred and twenty seven thousand four hundred and nineteen.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's easier to remember?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegitimateManiac)
    Names are cooler, although we should be allowed to choose our own.
    When im asked about age 4 i'll go with spongebob.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand this thread. There's no difference. After all, we obviously say numbers as words, and writing them down is simply only 'other letters'. The words of numbers are typically longer, but since people say very long strings of words fairly often I doubt that would impact on understanding either.

There's one advantage I see though. Your first child has an obvious name.

ReputationRep:
    So you wouldn't get tired of calling someone 87546372238829837396434272872843 6272628? I wouldn't even remember the first 6 numbers.

ReputationRep:
    No, numbers are cold and there are more combinations with letters.

ReputationRep:
    You must be joking. Bloody hell.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to be called "Hey, 29399439425945454359453496869486 5958659863596839839829, how are you?" :erm: I would definitely even forget my own name :facepalm:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.